[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I agree, I wouldn't say only first 10n games of the year, but yes his play has not been up to the same standards as he used to be. Honestly, I think he spends far too much time trying to play a hard nosed style of hockey, which he isn't built for. It used to be all dangles and drawing pens, snap shots into the corners etc.

I don't know, what is going on behind the scenes, and many things involved in this...

Injury, private problems, loss of confidence, Contract discussions, maybe the manager has ask him to play in a way, that doesn't suit him etc etc.

Its not just Petey though... Have a look at our PP. It absolutely sucks atm.... Petey used to snipe a few regularly, but rarely hammers one home now...

I have a feeling, he is having wrist issues again, but don't take a break because of the contract issues, where he has to show, what he can do...

I still say though, form is temporary and talent is permanent... On his day, Petey ranks amongst the best in the league, but for whatever reason, it hasn't materialised this season. 

Its not that uncommon that star players have a dip in form now and again... and the thing is, imagine trading Petey and watch him really take off in another jersey... It has been seen several times both from players leaving Vancouver and players coming to Vancouver...

I hope he signs around 11=11.5 and will not be surprised to see him sign for 12x8 as reported. I will be delighted to see him sign at 11 just take some of the pressure from fans off him... we'll see 

PS. I think Bure is in a group of General talents... In todays game, I think he'd be as good as McD...

EP40 should NOT be the 3rd highest cap hit player in the league.  

Enough said!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

I could honestly see anywhere from 11-12.8 (I've said that a few times). The formulas have been rehashed over and over again.. and you're right, Toronto has buggered up the market... that doesn't mean an agent can't use it (or that management can't object to it being used 😅). It will be interesting to see where it lands.  

Follow that mickey mouse org and we'll be swept just like them.  

Mickey Mouse Wizard GIF by Disney

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well time will tell...why don't you tell us how you really feel 🙂

PS. Think a lot of people here will be surprised over the contracts handed out the coming years with the rise in the cap...

let other GM's hang themselves. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Podz needs 42 more nhl games to be waiver eligible so it would be impossible for him to hit that mark this season. The other threshold would be 3 pro seasons so starting next year he will require waivers.

Thank you for this information. 

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Podz needs 42 more nhl games to be waiver eligible so it would be impossible for him to hit that mark this season. The other threshold would be 3 pro seasons so starting next year he will require waivers.

Ok I though he was closer never mind then, he has earned a call for sure 

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well time will tell...why don't you tell us how you really feel 🙂

PS. Think a lot of people here will be surprised over the contracts handed out the coming years with the rise in the cap...

Exactamundo.

This next EP contract is to mitigate for future contract value increases across the NHL board. That’s why there is allegedly a 12+ figure floating around. You’re paying for the future and against what will be some major salary increases. Folks want to say he’s not worth this or that based on his career numbers or impact thus far but aren’t including in what is a major contributing factor …a player wanting to earn commensurate with their peers over time, and larger salaries for higher profile players is a constant. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Exactamundo.

This next EP contract is to mitigate for future contract value increases across the NHL board. That’s why there is allegedly a 12+ figure floating around. You’re paying for the future and against what will be some major salary increases. Folks want to say he’s not worth this or that based on his career numbers or impact thus far but aren’t factoring in what is a major contributing factor…a player wanting to earn commensurate with their peers, and larger salaries for higher profile players is a constant. 

While I agree. We are probably going to see some silly contracts in the coming years. The best teams will be the ones who use their cap efficiently. 1 line teams will be easily shut down by balanced rosters. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

all of that said, the bigger question for this club is, aside from QH, do we need a single player holding so much importance to a roster to produce/eat TOI, stay healthy and committed while commanding so much salary and cap %, or do we require the versatility that 2 or 3 players provide for the same cap hit?

for me that’s still a tough call.

That is a great question. And one I'm thinking that Alvin and Rutherford are asking themselves. 

• Cheers 4

tbh there is not a single asset I am crazy about in CAR, I think something like Jarvis + Necas was probably offered at best, still I do not love that package, I don't love any of their prospects, I guess some cap space for flexibility would be part of the reason to move on but.....

also EP 40 has 1 goal in last 11 games and sucked defensively last night 

6 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

tbh there is not a single asset I am crazy about in CAR, I think something like Jarvis + Necas was probably offered at best, still I do not love that package, I don't love any of their prospects, I guess some cap space for flexibility would be part of the reason to move on but.....

also EP 40 has 1 goal in last 11 games and sucked defensively last night 

Necas plus one of Pesce/Kotkaniemi, Nikishin and a 1st if Pettersson isn't willing to sign at a reasonable hit....yes please.

Future top 4 D of

Hughes, Hronek

Nikishin, Willander 

would be RIDICULOUS

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

While I agree. We are probably going to see some silly contracts in the coming years. The best teams will be the ones who use their cap efficiently. 1 line teams will be easily shut down by balanced rosters. 

At the end of the day the stars will get paid like it or not. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Supposedly the CAR trade offer was “overwhelming”.  So guessing, 2 roster player (Necas + Kot), 2 x 1st, and prospect.

I hope they circle back. 

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Supposedly the CAR trade offer was “overwhelming”.  So guessing, 2 roster player (Necas + Kot), 2 x 1st, and prospect.

If that's the case, I hope management is using that as leverage to hold firm to +/- $10.5 x8. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Love Petey, but you always do whats best for the franchise

I don't think he should be making 3-4m more than the teams heart JT Miller. So if the market dictates it, or he thinks hes worth it, we should trade him for a kings ransom

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Where'd you hear this?

The pieces are what I guessed.  To me that package would be overwhelming.

IMG_5944.jpeg

Edited by BPA
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

The pieces are what I guessed.  To me that package would be overwhelming.

IMG_5944.jpeg

I'd rather we focus on ~4 good pieces vs 6 lesser ones. Something like the "Necas plus one of Pesce/Kotkaniemi, Nikishin and a 1st" 

By all means though, if it includes those 4 pieces + 2 more, that'd be ok too 😁

• Vintage 1

Not much I’d be interested in from Carolina unless they’re offering up Svechnikov.

Dont need late 1sts or prospects right now. Need impact players that move the needle for us.

• Cheers 1