[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

46 minutes ago, Dom said:

Watch them play lol how can you tell me they aren't the drizzling shits? 

I wish I could tell you what the solution is... 

I'd probably start by trading Mikheyev and benching Cole the second Soucy gets back. 

What I'd like to see:

Greenway-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Lafferty

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Suter-Blueger-Duhaime

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Myers-Juulsen

If Zadorov and soucy are in your top 4 you might as well pull out the golf clubs

• Confused 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

timeline this year..instead of playing their best hockey and losing draft spots, Canucks played their best hockey at the beginning when other teams were finding their legs...rest of the league has caught up and Canucks are not playing as they did...if they step up their play they can return to form...will they? is the question...their effort and commitment is lacking right now except maybe? JT

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

If Zadorov and soucy are in your top 4 you might as well pull out the golf clubs

aren't we talking 5m + extension for Zad? If thats the market I don't see how 16 teams make the playoffs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

aren't we talking 5m + extension for Zad? If thats the market I don't see how 16 teams make the playoffs. 

Nobody in their right mind is talking 5m+. Zadorov has been a decent #5, when soucy is back he will be #6. The guy is averaging 17 minutes a night and is hovering around 18 career wise. 

Some bottom feeder might give him 4 x 4 to protect their kids but this management group ain't the one.

18 minutes ago, Dom said:

What do you suggest then bud? Cole-Myers? LOL

That would definitely be an improvement and Tocchet would agree. He's played both those guys about 2 minutes more per game throughout the year. I'm sure you are smarter than him though "bud".

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

it all depends on the partners and pairings.  Soucy-Cole was a solid pairing.  Our defence started falling apart when injuries hit and we were asking too much from Myers and Zadorov.

We probably have to experiment with splitting up Hughes-Hronek for a few games so they can stabilize two pairings.

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Nobody in their right mind is talking 5m+. Zadorov has been a decent #5, when soucy is back he will be #6. The guy is averaging 17 minutes a night and is hovering around 18 career wise. 

Some bottom feeder might give him 4 x 4 to protect their kids but this management group ain't the one.

I hear Myers is worth 4m on the open market

19 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

That would definitely be an improvement and Tocchet would agree. He's played both those guys about 2 minutes more per game throughout the year. I'm sure you are smarter than him though "bud".

Giveaway machine Cole. Lol. Upset over being called bud? Yikes. 

53 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Show our record when Zadorov and Soucy are in the lineup compared to when one or both aren't then get back to us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

That doesn't make either one a top 4 dman

1) Zadorov and Soucy are both capable top 4 dmen so I'm really not sure why you're getting bent out of shape over this. 2) It does matter when we've been significantly better with both of them in the lineup as opposed to when they aren't. 

• Like 1

Just read Friedman’s piece on this. I wonder if this somewhat explains Petey’s lacklustre play lately.

He clearly wanted to wait until the offseason.  And I actually connect with that - it’s a big nasty discussion and focusing on the season makes sense.

But damn, Rutherford and Allvin aren’t about that kind of patience.  Understandably from their POV as well, with so much contract uncertainty.  And I can see JR not wanting to be jerked around like that, not for anyone. Firing up a trade to Carolina to pressure Petey is such a nutsy move.  On the other hand, I wonder if JR is miscalculating Petey, who seems to be fairly sensitive, IMO at least. 

Overall, I love this from management - just hoping it doesn’t backfire. Also, full credit to Aqualini who I’d say is a huge Pettersson fan - based on him publicly being very pro-signing  him at that press conference. 

What drama. Even as the team stinks it up on the ice lately, they sure are entertaining.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

We probably have to experiment with splitting up Hughes-Hronek for a few games so they can stabilize two pairings.

Yes to this, especially as Hronek needs to be re-signed; and it is important to know if he is just the second guy on a pairing, or if he can be the leader on his own.

I'd rather have 40 plus minutes covered by splitting H and H up, than 26 of them as a pair.

Truly if Hronek is 'just' a second fiddle, there would be cheaper options- and cap is going to be critical in the next few years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yes to this, especially as Hronek needs to be re-signed; and it is important to know if he is just the second guy on a pairing, or if he can be the leader on his own.

I'd rather have 40 plus minutes covered by splitting H and H up, than 26 of them as a pair.

Truly if Hronek is 'just' a second fiddle, there would be cheaper options- and cap is going to be critical in the next few years.

We also have to keep Huggy's minutes down to low 20 minutes. He's looking quite spent out there.

• ThereItIs 2

If we got Necas back in  a deal, and we didn't have to pay Pettersson +4 million more than Miller for a team that's trying to win now, then sign me up. I'm HUGE on Necas. When he's on, I consider him one of the most fun players in the league to watch.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Only thing that gives me some comfort is 4 other top 10 teams are also struggling right now (in the last 10):

Boston 3-2-5

Dallas 4-3-3

Vegas 4-5-1

Avs 5-4-1

Canucks 4-5-1

Looking at it like that kind of puts it into a different light. I think we are not used to being where we are in the standings. Usually we are one of these bubble teams playing hard at the end of the year when it's already too late lol.

There’s nothing wrong with our D. The game is changing but playoff hockey hasn’t and teams that have made deep runs in the last few years have had similarly built back-ends. 

Vegas, Montreal (bubble), St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Washington, Florida all had elite top pairs and a heavy bottom 4. In the regular season they look underwhelming but in the playoffs these D groups come alive 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

That doesn't make either one a top 4 dman

Maybe not individually they cant carry a partner, but as a pair they certainly can benefit from one another.

Look at Myers and OEL in 2021-22 they were a top 5 shutdown pair league wide. 2022-23 they got split up and had to try babysitting (and OEL was playing through injury) they werent able to make up for a weaker partner. Soucy and Zadorov would keep the play to the outside and good fuckin luck standing jnfront of the net.

• Cheers 1

I'm curious what people's expectations are for this team? 

For myself from the start of the year I just wanted them to take a step and make the playoffs. That felt like a reasonable goal for who is on this team and after the last handful of years they've gone through. Start improving and trending in the right direction to become a yearly contender. 

Now they have greatly exceeded that goal so far (season isn't over yet) and instead they've been battling for top spot in the league which is wild. I'm not surprised they are having this tough stretch now and honestly it is probably better to happen now then closer to the end of the year. 

I still don't think they'll go much past a round or two and that's OKAY. Our core (except Miller) are just entering their prime years and we want to build a great team around them for years to come. 

Like look at this team our bottom 6 is essentially invisible (shout out to the great 3rd line we had for a while there). Mik (our top 6 winger) hasn't scored in like 20+ games. We've got a bunch of number 5/6 Dman playing up the lineup (Meyers, Soucy, Julsen are not top 4 Dman. Even Zad and Cole are at best number 4s) and holding their own thanks to some amazing coaching and structure. AND we're overplaying our goalie again lol. 

It's not all doom and gloom to me. Keep pushing to be better as a team and organization. Lock up your 1C. Then after a best effort playoff run go into the offseason and train your asses off while management tries to build on what we got. They still need another top 4 Dman (maybe more then 1) and at least 1 more scoring winger. Garland is overpaid for a 3rd liner. We finally got some young prospects who are developing decently and that could be very helpful cheap additions in the years to come. Glad to see Hoggy have some success. 

Anyway, all in all I'm pretty pleased with this team. Sign Petey, so people can stop talking about it and hopefully management can make some solid moves this offseason to build on this group.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Ummmmmmmm.. what???

Ian Cole 61GP

All situations
32GVA

28.1%oZS

41.5% CORSI

.897oiSV%

18:49TOI

64GA

Ian Cole 5v5

31GVA

38.3%oZS

48.7%CORSI

.924oiSV%

33GA

Put some fuckin respect on that mans name. He is an important addition on the blueline. Playing top 4 mins and rarely coughing up the puck while facing much greater pressure by starting in the dzone much more frequently and his CORSI is significantly higher than where his shift starts. He is very smart, keeps it simple and positionally aware.

He's actually ranked 4th on the Canucks for giveaways, with Myers right behind him in 5th. 

9 minutes ago, Dom said:

He's actually ranked 4th on the Canucks for giveaways, with Myers right behind him in 5th. 

I don't think Ian Cole on his 1 year 3 million dollar contract is the probelm with this team

• Huggy Bear 1