[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

MacKinnon is the clear cut #1 or #1A player on his team alongside Makar.  You can play MacKinnon with pretty much anyone and his line is a threat almost every single time.  MacKinnon, as of this writing, has surpassed 100 points. The guy us a clear cut Franchise superstar with a Cup to his name.

I love Petey, and we have seen flashes of franchise potential (i.e. first 10 games of this season + 2nd half of 21/22 season, etc.), but there's too many stretches where he's been non-existent.  He has one goal in his last 10 games right now.  He's the 4th best player on the Canucks right now.  

With respect, Petey is a lot more than $1m behind Mackinnon at current imo.  

I like Petey and see potential, but he'll need to step up if he wants to earn his new Franchise level contract.  

And that's why Petey isn't making as much as Mackinnon.  $1m less is quite a bit. 

That's like Petey at 10.6 instead of 11.6.  Hughes at $6.xx instead of $7.xx. 

Miller at $7m instead of $8m.

ETC

$1m AAV is a pretty significant difference.

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

I remember how excited I was when Bertuzzi signed his new contract.   Then the Moore thing happened.   

I'm happy for the news.  EP's got all the talent to succeed.   Let's hope he can be that playoff performer we saw in COVID cup this playoffs.  Got 20 games or so to get his form back, like how he lit up the league in Jan.  

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nice job, surely we wait until the off-season for the rest of the signings. What I'd like to see:

Hronek - 7 years x 7.25M

Blueger - 3 years x 3M

Joshua - 3 years x 3M

Zadorov - 5 years x 4M

Lindholm - 1 year x 6M

Tanev - 2 years x 3M

That's +15M in raises including the OEL dead cap.

Let Myers and Cole walk (8M), flip Mikheyev for a pick (5M) and replace DeSmith and Lafferty with AHLers (just about 2M in savings)

It'd be tight but there is a way we can achieve this:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

PDG - Aman - Bains

Raty

Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

I'd rather we spend Lindholm's money on a top-4 solid defenceman instead but hey ho.

Why would lindholm sign a 1 year deal? Surely he'll get much better offers on the open market 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Fair deal for the golden boy. Stoked we got it done now.

F the shit disturbers in the media. They announce it on a Saturday morning, the most inconvenient time for them 😆

In this case I think the media helped us. JR and PA likely leaked the Carolina stuff so the media could help light a small fire under Peteys camp.

The way it was reported was fair and respectful and made sense. 48 hours later a deal is signed. 

While media is often complete and utter click bait BS, I think this time they were helpful.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

Why would lindholm sign a 1 year deal? Surely he'll get much better offers on the open market 

I honestly think Lindholm could still be swapped before tdl if management think things aren't working out like they thought. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

With respect, Petey is a lot more than $1m behind Mackinnon at current imo.  

EP is young and improving so it's the nature of the business to pay some for potential. I'm a big MacK fan but don't forget he had his struggles with consistency right around the same age as EP. I like the deal. For now, EP isn't in the AM, McD, MacK tier, but is younger than all those so who knows. EP Slots in nicely at 11.6 per. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A 1-2 punch of Petey and Miller for the next 7 years.  

Does anyone worry that Miller is going to take this personally? That's a big payday for a guy who is arguably number 3 on the team behind Hughes and Miller.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

595b3a69757746f188eb0abd83402afe.gif

That's the practice scheduled media thing. 

Unless they already had it planned (was posted around midnight).

My guess there will be a separate announcement soon for media with PA/JR and EP before they leave for the road trip. 

Big franchise news won't be just a media scrum in the locker room. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So the NMC doesn't kick in for a year, which means we now have to endure a year of trade proposals 😅

Nmc's can't be applied to RFA years.  But yeah. If he doesn't live up to some peoples expectations there's bound to be some proposals to move him before it kicks in. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That's the practice scheduled media thing. 

Unless they already had it planned (was posted around midnight).

My guess there will be a separate announcement soon for media with PA/JR and EP before they leave for the road trip. 

Big franchise news won't be just a media scrum in the locker room. 

Well they gotta do some horn blowing on own behalf. 

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nice job, surely we wait until the off-season for the rest of the signings. What I'd like to see:

Hronek - 7 years x 7.25M

Blueger - 3 years x 3M

Joshua - 3 years x 3M

Zadorov - 5 years x 4M

Lindholm - 1 year x 6M

Tanev - 2 years x 3M

That's +15M in raises including the OEL dead cap.

Let Myers and Cole walk (8M), flip Mikheyev for a pick (5M) and replace DeSmith and Lafferty with AHLers (just about 2M in savings)

It'd be tight but there is a way we can achieve this:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

PDG - Aman - Bains

Raty

Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

I'd rather we spend Lindholm's money on a top-4 solid defenceman instead but hey ho.

I think you let go of lindholm and slot lekkerimaki right in there.  Looks promising that Raty and Podkolzin will feature in the bottom 6 as soon as next year.  Would be great to retain blueger and Joshua if it an be done on 2-3 year contracts 

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Does anyone worry that Miller is going to take this personally? That's a big payday for a guy who is arguably number 3 on the team behind Hughes and Miller.

Not worried.  Miller has too much passion for winning than to over analyze something like this.  If anything he will probably scream "LET'S FUCKIN GO!!!!" to the entire team in the room next game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

In this case I think the media helped us. JR and PA likely leaked the Carolina stuff so the media could help light a small fire under Peteys camp.

The way it was reported was fair and respectful and made sense. 48 hours later a deal is signed. 

While media is often complete and utter click bait BS, I think this time they were helpful.

I don't think they did tbh, but they knew what to do with it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, flat land fish said:

I think you let go of lindholm and slot lekkerimaki right in there.  Looks promising that Raty and Podkolzin will feature in the bottom 6 as soon as next year.  Would be great to retain blueger and Joshua if it an be done on 2-3 year contracts 

I agree Lindholm at this point seems a rental. He's a bonus to have.

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I doubt it. It's the economics of the league. Timing of when a contract is signed in relation to where the cap sits and who your comparables are  are part of the eqation. I'm sure Miller understands that 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1