[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

I'm fine with the contract, but now he has to turn his season around. Let's get going on the right track. PA/JR better go trade for a mean SOB to play in the top 6. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well they gotta do some horn blowing on own behalf. 

Probably the biggest move this new management has made since moving out Bo and signing JT long term.  Buying out OEL is big too but more an embarrassment on the franchise. 

Got a few more yrs until QH and Demko. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So the NMC doesn't kick in for a year, which means we now have to endure a year of trade proposals 😅

*Trade clauses aren't allowed in RFA years 😉

1 minute ago, Dom said:

I'm fine with the contract, but now he has to turn his season around. Let's get going on the right track. PA/JR better go trade for a mean SOB to play in the top 6. 

Guentzel (assuming he will be healthy by playoffs) and Toffoli.  

Guentzel JT BB

EP Lindy TT.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dom said:

Now that he's secured his payday he can really start phoning it in. Loui Erickson style. Lol. J/K. I'm sure having all the contract noise distraction behind him will help him refocus on his game 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Probably the biggest move this new management has made since moving out Bo and signing JT long term.  Buying out OEL is big too but more an embarrassment on the franchise. 

Got a few more yrs until QH and Demko. 

An embarrassment on the franchise perhaps, but not on this management. They were taking care of another JB blunder.

Petey got what I expected and at his market value.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Trade clauses aren't allowed in RFA years 😉

I know, that wasn't the point of the comment 😂 

I can't wait to see the proposals to "get us out" from this contract over the next 16 months. 

• Haha 2

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-agree-to-terms-with-forward-elias-pettersson-on-an-eight-year-contract

Canucks Agree to Terms with Forward Elias Pettersson on an Eight-Year Contract

By

Canucks Communications

@Canucks Vancouver Canucks

10:20 AM

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has agreed to terms with forward Elias Pettersson on an eight-year contract.

“This is a very important signing for the Vancouver Canucks,” said Allvin. “Elias is one of the top players in the National Hockey League and is a key member of our leadership group. We know his best days are ahead of him and with his high end skill and desire to be the best, we look forward to seeing Elias succeed and grow. This signing is another example of our ownerships’ unwavering commitment to do what ever it takes to help us be a successful organization.”

“This is a very exciting day for me and my family,” said Elias Pettersson. “I am very happy to be continuing my career as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. I love this city and playing in front of the fans. We have an exciting group and believe we can do good things in the future. Both Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin have done a great job in building this team and creating a culture, along with Rick Tocchet. And lastly I want to thank the Aquilini family for this opportunity.”

Pettersson, 25, has appeared in 62 games this season, tallying 75 points (29-46-75), 8 penalty minutes and a +12 plus-minus rating. He currently ranks second amongst all Canucks skaters in points (75) and third in goals (29) and assists (46).

In the 2022-23 campaign, Pettersson earned a career-high total of 102 points (39-63-102), 14 penalty minutes and a plus-minus rating of +16 over 80 games, leading the club with the most points (102) and tying Andrei Kuzmenko for most goals (39).

At 6’2”, 176lbs, the Swedish center has played 387 career regular season games across six seasons, accumulating 398 points (165-233-398), 70 penalty minutes and a +48 plus-minus rating. He has also appeared in 17 post-season matchups, recording 18 points (7-11-18) during the 2019-20 playoffs.

Ever since he arrived in Vancouver, Pettersson has been busy on the ice, making sure that he is productive along all 200ft of the rink. During his rookie season in 2018-19, he posted 66 points (28-38-66) in 71 games, beating the previous record holders Pavel Bure and Ivan Hlinka at 60 points each. In the same year, Pettersson recorded the most goals (28), assists (38), and points (66) by a rookie in the league and was awarded the Calder Trophy for being NHL Rookie of the Year, receiving 96.5% of votes.

Pettersson has represented the Canucks at four NHL All-Star Weekends and won the Hardest Shot competition in 2023 with a 103.2 miles-per-hour shot. During the post-season team awards, Pettersson was awarded the Cyclone Taylor Trophy (Most Valuable Player), the Cyrus H. McLean Trophy (Leading Scorer) and the Three Stars Award (Most Three Stars Appearances) during the Canucks Team Awards.

Hailing from Sundsvall, Sweden, Pettersson has donned the yellow and blue of Sweden to represent the country on the international stage in many instances. First at the U18 World Junior Championships (silver) and at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament (silver) in 2015-16, as well as at the U20 World Junior Championships (silver) in 2017-18 and at the World Championships (gold) in the same year.

Pettersson was chosen 5th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the 2017 NHL Entry draft.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Why would lindholm sign a 1 year deal? Surely he'll get much better offers on the open market 

Because he's playing like garbage and if he takes a 1 year deal the way guys like Blueger did, he might be able to boost his stock. If some team pays him 7-8M based on his 36 point pace they're rediculous.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Was hoping for closer to $11, but $11.6 ain't bad at all. Glad we've got him locked up through his prime 🙂

Now back to focusing on this season, and a deep playoff run!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-agree-to-terms-with-forward-elias-pettersson-on-an-eight-year-contract

Canucks Agree to Terms with Forward Elias Pettersson on an Eight-Year Contract

By

Canucks Communications

@Canucks Vancouver Canucks

10:20 AM

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has agreed to terms with forward Elias Pettersson on an eight-year contract.

“This is a very important signing for the Vancouver Canucks,” said Allvin. “Elias is one of the top players in the National Hockey League and is a key member of our leadership group. We know his best days are ahead of him and with his high end skill and desire to be the best, we look forward to seeing Elias succeed and grow. This signing is another example of our ownerships’ unwavering commitment to do what ever it takes to help us be a successful organization.”

“This is a very exciting day for me and my family,” said Elias Pettersson. “I am very happy to be continuing my career as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. I love this city and playing in front of the fans. We have an exciting group and believe we can do good things in the future. Both Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin have done a great job in building this team and creating a culture, along with Rick Tocchet. And lastly I want to thank the Aquilini family for this opportunity.”

Pettersson, 25, has appeared in 62 games this season, tallying 75 points (29-46-75), 8 penalty minutes and a +12 plus-minus rating. He currently ranks second amongst all Canucks skaters in points (75) and third in goals (29) and assists (46).

In the 2022-23 campaign, Pettersson earned a career-high total of 102 points (39-63-102), 14 penalty minutes and a plus-minus rating of +16 over 80 games, leading the club with the most points (102) and tying Andrei Kuzmenko for most goals (39).

At 6’2”, 176lbs, the Swedish center has played 387 career regular season games across six seasons, accumulating 398 points (165-233-398), 70 penalty minutes and a +48 plus-minus rating. He has also appeared in 17 post-season matchups, recording 18 points (7-11-18) during the 2019-20 playoffs.

Ever since he arrived in Vancouver, Pettersson has been busy on the ice, making sure that he is productive along all 200ft of the rink. During his rookie season in 2018-19, he posted 66 points (28-38-66) in 71 games, beating the previous record holders Pavel Bure and Ivan Hlinka at 60 points each. In the same year, Pettersson recorded the most goals (28), assists (38), and points (66) by a rookie in the league and was awarded the Calder Trophy for being NHL Rookie of the Year, receiving 96.5% of votes.

Pettersson has represented the Canucks at four NHL All-Star Weekends and won the Hardest Shot competition in 2023 with a 103.2 miles-per-hour shot. During the post-season team awards, Pettersson was awarded the Cyclone Taylor Trophy (Most Valuable Player), the Cyrus H. McLean Trophy (Leading Scorer) and the Three Stars Award (Most Three Stars Appearances) during the Canucks Team Awards.

Hailing from Sundsvall, Sweden, Pettersson has donned the yellow and blue of Sweden to represent the country on the international stage in many instances. First at the U18 World Junior Championships (silver) and at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament (silver) in 2015-16, as well as at the U20 World Junior Championships (silver) in 2017-18 and at the World Championships (gold) in the same year.

Pettersson was chosen 5th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the 2017 NHL Entry draft.

If he can put on 10lbs between now and his late 20s, he will become a real force out there.  2lbs a year Petey.  You can do it.

• Like 2
  • MillerTime 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Guentzel (assuming he will be healthy by playoffs) and Toffoli.  

Guentzel JT BB

EP Lindy TT.  

We'd be giving up way too much for that IMO. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

lol on pace for 100 pts … I agree his play has dipped since All Star but “ turn around season “ is a bit much. How about No Excuses now Petey follow Millers lead and let’s go streaking!

Go Canucks! :towel:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Was hoping for closer to $11, but $11.6 ain't bad at all. Glad we've got him locked up through his prime 🙂

Now back to focusing on this season, and a deep playoff run!

this is going to look amazing when the cap is 95 mil in 3 seasons, and McBaby is getting 20% of the cap somewhere. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NucksIn50 said:

lol on pace for 100 pts … I agree his play has dipped since All Star but “ turn around season “ is a bit much. How about No Excuses now Petey follow Millers lead and let’s go streaking!

Go Canucks! :towel:

You knew what I meant 🤣🤪

• ThereItIs 1

On 2/28/2024 at 4:57 PM, Northern_Nuck said:

112 million, 8 years. 

Don't laugh, in certain vector sets with appropriately defined  this math would be perfectly acceptable and correct .... in all seriousness, glad it was not close to being the largest contract signed to date.

image.gif.5a6f34f49b47c0827b6f03b5a0ff25f9.gif

GO PETEY GO!! NOW THAT THE DEAL IS DONE, GET'ER DONE!! GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by Rocket-68

15 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I think you let go of lindholm and slot lekkerimaki right in there.  Looks promising that Raty and Podkolzin will feature in the bottom 6 as soon as next year.  Would be great to retain blueger and Joshua if it an be done on 2-3 year contracts 

Lekker surely needs some time in the AHL, I doubt he slots straight into our top-6 next year. Podkolzin and Raty deserve some call-ups next year for sure. Hoglander has to be a lock for a top-6 winger spot. 

I'm all for letting our waste-of-space Lindholm walk but with that 5-6M we really should focus on our defence if we're losing two 20 minute guys.