[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Its a fair / good deal for both parties.

To me it looked like the eastern media schmucks that started stirring the pot and of course the local "journalists" jumped on the wagon with all the speculation.  Just a few weeks ago we heard a rumor that it was his goal to join Nylander (prior to signing)  in Chicago to play with Bedard.  Who makes this shit up (I cant remember if it was Kypreos or who)

Im just glad its over so the team can start focusing on and off the ice with other signings and possible trades.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jaku said:

This a joke. Right? 

Not at all.  
2 years ago   42-40 for 82 points.  Career year

Last year.       22-42 for 64 points. Almost a 20 point decline and back to his normal production but still a bit above. 
This year he might hit around 50.  

The only thing he is really bringing is a solid defensive game and ok point production.   

If we are complaining about Mik, what is it going to look like when Lindy is getting 7+ for 6 years getting 50 points?

Flip him now so it’s not a total loss and get a serviceable winger for Petey 

• chaos 1

Very fair contract. In 2-3 years this will be a steal. Percentage off the Cap, his young age, plays centre and on the cusp of back to back 100 point seasons. Petey could have got more. He took a discount just like Miller did. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Can someone explain why half is paid as signing bonus? Do bonuses not get taxed??

Think it’s because he gets the signing bonus money ASAP (for that year).  The rest gets paid cheque by cheque.

Edited by BPA

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I cant believe how fast and how fucking volatile fans became all over having to wait a day or two. Hear one little rumour and choose to only believe a negative outcome. Throwing Pettersson under the bus and completely shitting all over his character.

Blow out the lines. Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Very fair contract. In 2-3 years this will be a steal. Percentage off the Cap, his young age, plays centre and on the cusp of back to back 100 point seasons. Petey could have got more. He took a discount just like Miller did. 

Yup. Each of Petey and Miller took about a million per less. That’s two mill Allvin can allocate elsewhere. I’m expecting Hronek will take less too. Likely 500 k. So that’s 2.5 per. To allocate elsewhere. So a 1 mil d man can become a three mil guy. It’s basically getting a guy like Cole (3 mil) instead of getting a guy for only 1 mil. Big difference. 

• Cheers 3
  • MillerTime 1

Great deal! and great to have the distraction out of the way. Petey will end up being one of the best forwards this team has ever had. This will be 8 years of being a competitive team - the future is bright!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lol at guys like Friedman pushing Bs narratives on this all season saying Petey was gonna get like 12-13 mil or pushing for less term.

Turns out he signed an almost identical deal to Nylander. I think they wanted it to be way more to make them feel better about Willie’s deal. 😂

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And that's why Petey isn't making as much as Mackinnon.  $1m less is quite a bit. 

That's like Petey at 10.6 instead of 11.6.  Hughes at $6.xx instead of $7.xx. 

Miller at $7m instead of $8m.

ETC

$1m AAV is a pretty significant difference.

I'm not in here to groan happy he is signed. This argument is horse shit though. 

Mak is at 100 points, Pete's at 78 Maks got a cup and "drives play" hate that term but in this case it can't be denied. Pete is not 1mill less of a player than Mak. Nathan is in a different league than Pete. Right now real world Pete should be 3m less than Nate. Am I butt hurt about it no. If anything I think Mackinnon took a discount and Pete took a fair contract hence the 1m gap. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Can someone explain why half is paid as signing bonus? Do bonuses not get taxed??

Makes the co tract buyout and lockout  proof. Signing bonuses are still paid in a lockout and aren't included in buyout calculations 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol at guys like Friedman pushing Bs narratives on this all season saying Petey was gonna get like 12-13 mil or pushing for less term.

Turns out he signed an almost identical deal to Nylander. 

To be fair, if he was an available UFA he’d be getting 12-13. Maybe even as RFA if he was traded and willing to extend.
Unfortunately for him it likely wouldn’t have been from a contending club.

the core is intact.

LFG

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

I don't know the details.  Probably some benefit in fitting in the cap. 

All income gets taxed.  CRA won't let a penny go.  

11 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Buyout protection is one reason, bonuses are 100% payable in a buyout.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1