[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Wow! I am pleasantly surprised. Petey leaves a bit on the table and commits long term. I thought for sure it would be over $12M. It’s steep, but seems to be the market rate and cap going up. This will be good in the long run. Hopefully a weight is lifted and he plays like the Alien we all admire (and it’s not Alf 😜).

I don’t know much about cap and bonuses, are performance based bonuses still allowed? Looks like these are all just signing bonuses. Was hoping some performance ones might really motivate him. Anyway, good day. I’m feeling pretty good about this and admittedly was a bit on the fence prior to.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why is that a big IF?

The dudes 25 years old. What players haven’t improved between the ages of 25-30?

If he IMPROVES, from what’s already solid it’s a BARGAIN.

If he doesn’t it’s still a good deal 

read the post before you attack people dude 

Edited by Bardown

Petey taking a (relatively) team friendly deal and at max term shows he wants to win imo.

Also secures the biggest bag for him, but realistically if he went 5 years he could've got another bag anyways. 

Stoked that this is over & we can get back to focusing on hockey. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I think they should lock in Boeser early, so they have realistic numbers to sign everyone else this summer. There is no rush now, but keeping Demko and Brock as part of the CORE over the next 6 years should be the main focus, with the CAP issues and OEL penalty 2 million next season, 4 million after that.

I guess it would all depend on his asking price? If he is wanting a raise, have to think mgmt will wait until next year (potentially after the season) to see if he can repeat this year's performance. Also, he is a winger, easier to replace, and they need to secure their blueline. 

Will be interesting to see what mgmt does now that domino #1 is signed!

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Did you think I was talking about Petey?  
hahahaha

Yeah… I was like, what is this guy going on about 😂my bad. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

I would prefer not to “eat his butt” 😂 

You don't need to... he is probably just embarrassed and needs to say silly things because he hasn't learned how to handle being wrong. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Loui Eriksson's finest moment as a Canuck  -  his pass off the boards for Petey's first goal. (Maybe also Derek Pouliot's, acting as the perfect decoy)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yup. His first few years were worse than EPs. 

Yup I saw the infamous cheech jinxing Luongo's shut out game vs Colorado MacKinnon's rookie year, you could tell even then he would be a special player but he hadn't put it together just yet. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I think they should lock in Boeser early, so they have realistic numbers to sign everyone else this summer. There is no rush now, but keeping Demko and Brock as part of the CORE over the next 6 years should be the main focus, with the CAP issues and OEL penalty 2 million next season, 4 million after that.

Brock to be resigned by TDL next year at the very latest.  Been a career 50-60pt player and finally looks to be an 30g 80pt player. BUT one good season doesn’t guarantee anything.  So thinking between $7-8M.  Should be closer to $7M though.

Demko has 2 more years left.  And he’ll be about 31yr old when it’s up.  Maybe $6-7M if he continues to perform.  Or maybe he’s traded if Silovs makes the jump to the NHL.  Lots of time to figure out Demko.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why is that a big IF?

The dudes 25 years old. What players haven’t improved between the ages of 25-30?

4th O/A Jesse Puliujarvi....Oh wait he's only 25....we'll see how him and Petey do over the next 5 years. LOL

I shouldn't laugh to hard...we took Olli Juolevi with the next pick at 5th O/A

Edited by Blitz-Pix

I'm glad Petey got his bag I guess. He's a good player and this was market price for his abilities.

11.6m gives the Canucks little room for error to fill out the rest of the roster.

But the reality is O.E.L. 2.2 mil is on the books next year and 4.7 mil the year after. There goes our margin for error. 

I don't see how we contend unless we score major home runs on our prospects.

Edited by LucBourdon28
  • ThereItIs 1

Excellent! Glad it's fair and reasonable AND done and over with. 

Also glad Dhaliwal won't have this to yammer on about anymore. 

Next up ... the drumbeat of Hronek's contract. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Where’s all the haters at now? Where’d all the shit talkers go? How fucking embarrassing that must be to turn on a franchise player so fucking fast and then see him sign with money still on the table and full term. 

Are… are we allowed to swear on here now? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LucBourdon28 said:

I'm glad Petey got his bag I guess. He's a good player and this was market price for his abilities.

11.6m gives the Canucks little room for error to fill out the rest of the roster.

But the reality is O.E.L. 2.2 mil is on the books next year and 4.7 mil the year after. There goes our margin for error. We all know you have to have players punching above their cap hit to win a cup.

I don't see how we contend unless we score major home runs on our prospects.

OEL dead cap hit will definitely hurt.  Canucks will need to hope cheap ELC contracts can step up.  Or sign bargin UFAs that have a resurgence with the Canucks.

I'm so happy this got done and it's a FAIR deal. Now he can focus on hockey and winning. Instead of his personal stats. This needed to get done before the DL I'm glad MGMT held his feet to the fire to come to the table. 

• Cheers 1