[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

31 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I couldn't get thru this to be honest.  This looks like a tremendous relief for Petey.  He looks really happy.

My take is that he wanted to see how the team was developing (ie improving) under new management.  Having lived thru Bennings incompetence, and not knowing truly whether the issue was Jim or ownership (remember talk along those lines?), Petey joked with somebody about not hearing any of the internet chatter about his situation.  Of course he did.  But he wanted to wait and see how the team did this season and whether he wanted to remain associated with it.  He wants to play for a winner.  Fast forward to today, is there any doubt?  They're a lot better and Allvin has added another good player (Lindholm).  He keeps trying to make improvements. 

There is pretty much no reason for Petey not to sign now and it would help management tremendously if he did.  So it was done.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Recently, yes.  Lots of bs swirling around out there. 

It just shifts from one to the next. Was Horvat, then Petey/Miller.

I hope it stops and people learn.

Unfortunately, the media wants to make the locker rooms more like a reality TV show rather than actually like... show reality....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why is that a big IF?

The dudes 25 years old. What players haven’t improved between the ages of 25-30?

It’s also a bargain if he just maintains what he’s doing.  102 point pace over the last 2 seasons.  Selke votes.  I think he can improve, but really if he just keeps it up we’re sitting pretty with this contract.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Least we have this behind us and over 11 mill isn't to bad,just glad it wasn't 12 mill a season that was to much.

11.6 is reasonable for a guy that plays decent d and gets 100 points.Now they can all settle back down and get back to playing hockey.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Was that ever a narrative?

Ya it was. They even commented on it that they play great together and had to come to terms with they are just very different people off the ice. Something like that

i think two star players one older one younger very different personalities and they were losing and hate losing

caused some friction 

it’s clearly not a serious issue at all and anytime they score a goal together they look pretty happy 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pettersson's never seemed to like dealing with the media, and likely doesn't any more than he has to

Which is fine, it ain't for everyone

Reason why Petey isn't the captain?

• Cheers 1

Just found out. Glad it's over. With the performance of this team over the last couple of weeks, this was just one more thing that was uncertain. 

Hopefully now he can help get the team out of this funk.

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s also a bargain if he just maintains what he’s doing.  102 point pace over the last 2 seasons.  Selke votes.  I think he can improve, but really if he just keeps it up we’re sitting pretty with this contract.

Well not only that if the team for some reason starts doing poorly at his price it will be attractive to other teams.

I can't see that happening but if it does works for all.

• Cheers 1

I’m just happy our best players aren’t pushing off their max money deals

hughes

JT 

petey

so Hronek will have to fall in line too

i know Hughes next contract will be huge but I don’t think he will go for his max money either.

really happy we aren’t following the Toronto Model. 

petey could have easily pushed for 12.5 / season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

No information or insight to add. Just want to jump in. For a while now I have been saying that, with Nylander signing for 11.5, it would be hard to see Petey much below 12 but that I personally would not want to go as high 12. That did not leave a lot of wiggle room but I have to give credit to Canuck management (and Petey) for finding the sweet spot.

I am happy with the 11.6 number. It is still a big number -- obviously a lot more the Miller and Hughes are getting, so he needs to go out an earn it.

I can believe that he has felt under a lot of pressure for the past week or so and maybe this will help him get back to his "A" game.

Baring any total collapse, in 3-4 years it will look like a great deal. Book it. 

As this negotiation (or lack of) went on, it really seemed like Petey was the one in the driver’s seat.  

What a masterclass / power move by Allvin/JR to go out and broker a deal with Carolina to control the timeline.  Obviously Petey could have held out for more money / less term (which IMO he didn’t get stubborn on.)  

I took this as, “listen - we’ll talk on term, AAV, you’ll be paid like a star.. but we need this done now so we can plan the rest of the roster.”  The pressure point was timeline, which I find a brilliant (and logical) way to bring the focus away from the money.  And kudos to Petey and his agent for getting it done.  Shows he wants to be here and isn’t all about getting maximum money.

Huge bright spot during a dismal little run on the ice.

• Like 4