[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

46 minutes ago, Bardown said:

A lot of that was driven by the media.

Dhall was saying Peterson wasn’t coming to the table and the Canucks were “very frustrated”

today they said they’ve been talking regularly 

the AaV being a slight discount, and Petey’s rational that he wanted to see the direction of the team, would back up their point they’ve been talking all along

Dhali is a drama queen and not a fan of that 

He once was much more respected, that time he bad mouthed Drance behind his back on 650 after an interview was a big indicator of his true nature.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m just happy our best players aren’t pushing off their max money deals

hughes

JT 

petey

so Hronek will have to fall in line too

i know Hughes next contract will be huge but I don’t think he will go for his max money either.

really happy we aren’t following the Toronto Model. 

petey could have easily pushed for 12.5 / season.

He could have and maybe he would have gotten it in the offseason. He would be wearing a different jersey though. Horvat pushed MGMT I guess you could say it got him somewhere. I'm happy they agreed to a fair deal he's not on Mackinnon, Mcdavid, Matthews, level. Hopefully he gets there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Honestly? For me, in order:
Joshua, Hronek, Big Z

DeSmith, Blueger, Myers, Cole
Lindholm, Lafferty, Friedman

I like blueger, cole, joshua, then Z.   
hopefully some young picks will fill in soon but i doubt lindholm will be a priority..  i still like lafferty as well but time will tell.  Good list!  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

No need for last 4

Maybe, but my list would be:

1) Hronek

2) The rest of the defence

Whether that includes Zadorov, Cole, Myers, Friedman… I think we need to keep an open mind.  Upgrades are going to come at a huge cost - and we do have Willander in the wings ~2 years out.  

Older guys like Myers or Cole (playing his off-hand) could keep his seat warm on a short term, reasonable AAV deal while maintaining the burliness of the back end.  I’m not saying there aren’t better fits out there.. but I won’t be upset if we bring most of the same pieces back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

JR bitch slapped the attitude out of his mouth... lol

Wah-Wah I'll decide in the summer.. JR told him sign this week or pack you're bags.. he signed 8 years.. lol

Well played JR. Finally a proper Management team in this city..

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He once was much more respected, that time he bad mouthed Drance behind his back on 650 after an interview was a big indicator of his true nature.

Yeah but he wasn't wrong.

Not bad mouthing so much....more, calling him out. And Drance deserved it (and seemingly changed his tune a bit since...isn't quite as negative).

Drance dishes it out and it was his turn to take some, that's all. 

• MillerTime 1

On the high side but ok.

I was hoping for a trade lol. Shake the team up and get a boatload of assets.

Hopefully petey can start playing again now with the distraction out of the way.

2 minutes ago, Cocanuck said:

I like blueger, cole, joshua, then Z.   
hopefully some young picks will fill in soon but i doubt lindholm will be a priority..  i still like lafferty as well but time will tell.  Good list!  

Yeah, I keep changing my mind.

I really like Blueger too and he's up there for me too.

I like Lafferty but he's not been as effective as I'd hoped he be. 

This went down exactly the way it should have at the right time. Good on Petey for ending this and recognizing that both he and the team didn't need the distraction and this could have gotten a lot worse for him in public sentiment. 

Onward and upward.

• Cheers 4

Just now, Barnstorm said:

Good thing FA replaced the  management and in turn the coaching when he did.  

Another year of Benning and his coach’s could have decimated this group. 

I would say Benning going earlier would have been better… but on the bright side, we wouldn’t have landed Rutherford and Allvin - who have been absolutely top shelf.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Maybe, but my list would be:

1) Hronek

2) The rest of the defence

Whether that includes Zadorov, Cole, Myers, Friedman… I think we need to keep an open mind.  Upgrades are going to come at a huge cost - and we do have Willander in the wings ~2 years out.  

Older guys like Myers or Cole (playing his off-hand) could keep his seat warm on a short term, reasonable AAV deal while maintaining the burliness of the back end.  I’m not saying there aren’t better fits out there.. but I won’t be upset if we bring most of the same pieces back.

I like Cole and Myers only if the AVV goes down by 1mil for Cole and 5mil for Myers. They yeah, we keep the rest and maybe can even afford Hronek.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

This went down exactly the way it should have at the right time. Good on Petey for ending this and recognizing that both he and the team didn't need the distraction and this could have gotten a lot worse for him in public sentiment. 

Onward and upward.

Timing is important for TDL.  Nux now can be better prepared to go for a trade and sign type of players, rather than just rentals 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

JR bitch slapped the attitude out of his mouth... lol

Wah-Wah I'll decide in the summer.. JR told him sign this week or pack you're bags.. he signed 8 years.. lol

Well played JR. Finally a proper Management team in this city..

He may have thought that.  I doubt he actually said that to Petey or his agent.  

Fact is, what more did Petey have to learn about management's commitment to winning at this point?  

50 minutes ago, Bardown said:

A lot of that was driven by the media.

Dhall was saying Peterson wasn’t coming to the table and the Canucks were “very frustrated”

today they said they’ve been talking regularly 

the AaV being a slight discount, and Petey’s rational that he wanted to see the direction of the team, would back up their point they’ve been talking all along

Dhali is a drama queen and not a fan of that 

Non sense

They told him piss or get off the pot..

Put the pressure to him by leaking potential Carolina trade and got him signed..

Nothing false has been reported by Dhaliwal. Pettersson his self publicly reported that he was waiting until the summer until JR put him in his place..

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

In this case I think the media helped us. JR and PA likely leaked the Carolina stuff so the media could help light a small fire under Peteys camp.

The way it was reported was fair and respectful and made sense. 48 hours later a deal is signed. 

While media is often complete and utter click bait BS, I think this time they were helpful.

The media didn't help squat. 

Pettersson asked media not to ask questions about his contract until after the season.  The fans backed Petey because we're......fans. And we want Petey to feel happy and comfortable and believed him when he said he wanted to focus on the upcoming season.  And he was right, and fans were right to back back his stance......because he was fulfilling his end of the bargain, coming out of the gates swinging.

It was a three way contract between media, player, and fans.  And fans and Petey  kept it.  But after the All Star break, it seemed that the media decided to break the contract. And in a big sensationalist way. Starting with the Toronto media, then that gave local media an excuse to jump on board.

I, and I think most fans, were perfectly happy, if that's what Petey wanted, to let him play out the year.  Maybe if the team was still struggling, fans would be uneasy about him re-signing in Summer, but the team was heading in the right direction, so I for one wasn't that worried he'd up and leave.

Did the media firestorm help speed up the signing? Obviously. Petey himself said he couldn't ignore the noise anymore. But you have to ask yourself if media holding off their manufactured freak-out and waiting to see how well Petey performs down the stretch and in the playoffs first wouldn't have been more advantageous to management to evaluate his total game before their offer.

I'm glad he signed.  But I had confidence the team and him would have come to a deal this Summer regardless.  The media badgered him into signing before he was planning to.  I hope that fact doesn't bite them, and ultimately the fans, in the butt.

• Cheers 2

Just a fantastic bit of news to start the weekend! 

just glad we can all move on and just play hockey again 

With this signing, moving kuzmenko’s cap hit for next year has become crucial for the Canucks to tinker with their line up 

hronek is next at around 8 years/7.5m I bet…I see him in the rielly/lindholm/weegar area 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Good thing FA replaced the  management and in turn the coaching when he did.  

Another year of Benning and his coach’s could have decimated this group. 

If Benning was still the GM, Petey would be gone like a Hurricane.  And so he should

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If Benning was still the GM, Petey would be gone like a Hurricane.  And so he should

If Benning was GM, Petey would have now been signed to 14M per 

11.6 is great value 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Haha 1

Gotta wonder if the pressure came because they have a deal in place for a player with term or a sign and trade. Obviously not having Petey locked in long term would affect their strategy moving forward.

I guess we’ll see.

• ThereItIs 2