[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

28 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The future:

Of course with Petey signed, Allvin has his most important contract done and can now turn to others.  Who's the next priority?

1. Hronek
  2. Joshua
  3. Blueger
  4. Zadorov
  5. Lindholm
  6. DeSmith
  7. Myers
  8. Cole 
  9. Lafferty
  10. Friedman

When it is all laid out, not as bad as I was imagining. Could the following work and be sustainable?

EP Miller Boeser

DJ Blueger Garland

Mik/xx Suter Hogs

PDG Aman Bains/xx

QH Hronek

Soucy xx

Xx Juulsen

Demko

Desmith

Edited by NoCupSyndrome
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

If Benning was GM, Petey would have now been signed to 14M per 

11.6 is great value 

The Canucks would be mired in the mushy middle.  If Petey really wants to win, he would have to do it elsewhere

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

When it is all laid out, not as bad as I was imagining. Could the following work and be sustainable?

EP Miller Boeser

DJ Blueger Garland

Mik/xx Suter Hogs

PDG Aman Bains/xx

QH Hronek

Soucy xx

Xx Juulsen

Demko

Desmith

That's not a playoff team

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

If Benning was still the GM, Petey would be gone like a Hurricane.  And so he should

Yup, Petey said as much.  He repeated that he wanted to "play for a winner".   And he brought up JR and PA as doing enough to show him that the team could be a winner.  He never mentioned Benning, you know, the guy who drafted him. Some of the Benning  Bros here think that simply listening to your amateur scouts and picking him at #5 in 2017 was most of the work. To me his statement implied that he seriously was thinking of moving on under Benning, and his clusterfuck management.

My gawd, sometimes I shudder to imagine if Aquilini had kept JB on the payroll, what this team would look like.

• Vintage 2
  • MillerTime 1

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If Benning was still the GM, Petey would be gone like a Hurricane.  And so he should

That idiot is the reason this situation was in this place to begin with..

Pettersson wanted to sign longterm last contract. But dumb dumb said he didn't have the cap space so signed him to a lower cap 3 year deal..

If it wasn't for that moron Pettersson would have been signed to long term under 9 million per year...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

On 2/28/2024 at 5:05 PM, HKSR said:

I'm as hard on Petey as anybody, but I do know based on production and comparables, he is worth about $11m to $12m.  If it means we can lock him up for 8 years, I'm good with it.  He'll be 33 at the end of the deal.

Yeah I'm the same way. I find JT and Quinn to be the better and more impactful players for us, but 100 point centers have to make a certain amount of money no matter what. 

The fact that he'll be 33 is pretty good. Much prefer this to signing a big deal with a 27 year old center who will be 35 and still making big bucks. 

• Cheers 1

Man, this certainly sets the precedent that you take a bit less to stay and try to win in Vancouver.  Hughes on a great deal, Miller on an incredible deal, Petey at a discount.  Hope this means Joshua get re-signed.  His loss has definitely been felt while he's been injured.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

That idiot is the reason this situation was in this place to begin with..

Pettersson wanted to sign longterm last contract. But dumb dumb said he didn't have the cap space so signed him to a lower cap 3 year deal..

If it wasn't for that moron Pettersson would have been signed to long term under 9 million per year...

I think the estimates would've been 9 to 9.5 million on an 8 year deal back then. 

It's tough to play hindsight as we have no way to say for sure that Petey wanted an 8 year deal back then. 

Players bet on themselves all the time. If the pandemic didn't last as long, Petey would've been looking at a 14 million deal under a 100 million cap. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Man, this certainly sets the precedent that you take a bit less to stay and try to win in Vancouver.  Hughes on a great deal, Miller on an incredible deal, Petey at a discount.  Hope this means Joshua get re-signed.  His loss has definitely been felt while he's been injured.

Demko…

Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Timing is important for TDL.  Nux now can be better prepared to go for a trade and sign type of players, rather than just rentals 

While in the meantime, Pettersson signing makes him more attractive in a possible trade.

Asset management at its finest.

We are blessed.

• ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

Why does everything always have to circle back to Benning insert hypothetical. It's pathetic. I'm kind of fond of Miller, Hughes, Demko, Pete, Hog, Boeser, Juulson et al. Benning certainly made errors and was pretty mediocre. But it's as if he was some super villian who went around kicking babies. 

He was terrible at contract work (aside from Demko).

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The media didn't help squat. 

Pettersson asked media not to ask questions about his contract until after the season.  The fans backed Petey because we're......fans. And we want Petey to feel happy and comfortable and believed him when he said he wanted to focus on the upcoming season.  And he was right, and fans were right to back back his stance......because he was fulfilling his end of the bargain, coming out of the gates swinging.

It was a three way contract between media, player, and fans.  And fans and Petey  kept it.  But after the All Star break, it seemed that the media decided to break the contract. And in a big sensationalist way. Starting with the Toronto media, then that gave local media an excuse to jump on board.

I, and I think most fans, were perfectly happy, if that's what Petey wanted, to let him play out the year.  Maybe if the team was still struggling, fans would be uneasy about him re-signing in Summer, but the team was heading in the right direction, so I for one wasn't that worried he'd up and leave.

Did the media firestorm help speed up the signing? Obviously. Petey himself said he couldn't ignore the noise anymore. But you have to ask yourself if media holding off their manufactured freak-out and waiting to see how well Petey performs down the stretch and in the playoffs first wouldn't have been more advantageous to management to evaluate his total game before their offer.

I'm glad he signed.  But I had confidence the team and him would have come to a deal this Summer regardless.  The media badgered him into signing before he was planning to.  I hope that fact doesn't bite them, and ultimately the fans, in the butt.

I completely disagree with your view. 

None of the evidence supports your theory that the team, and petey and the fans were supportive of petey waiting till the summer.

Hence the Carolina trade potential, and the restless fans, and the GM being uncertain about salary cap future.

And then ultimately hence Petey resigning. 

• MillerTime 1

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks would be mired in the mushy middle.  If Petey really wants to win, he would have to do it elsewhere

Ok - now it’s on Petey to shut his yapper - he got his wish - he is on the good team - so it’s on him to step up the F up and stop disappearing like he does over and over - he’s not even our best player - but he’s being paid like he is…

I know I’m not alone when I say this but I think we all want him to muscle up / bulk up / gain 15 pounds of muscle so he’s not so easily knocked off the puck and win battles along the boards then the guy would be a superstar he would totally own… And earn his paycheck…

now let’s get back to winning ways now that this whole contract issue is out of the way…

go Canucks go

Vancouver Canucks GIF by Aman Brah

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The future:

Of course with Petey signed, Allvin has his most important contract done and can now turn to others.  Who's the next priority?

1. Hronek
  2. Joshua
  3. Blueger
  4. Zadorov
  5. Lindholm
  6. DeSmith
  7. Myers
  8. Cole 
  9. Lafferty
  10. Friedman

I can see a scenario that the bottom 4 don't get signed. It depends on what happens between now and July 1.

As painful as it would be, Garland might need to be moved to get some assets back, and free up cap space.

It wouldn't help our speed but Mik for Johansen might be a good bet. It shaves a little off the cap, gets us bigger and more able to handle the more physical clubs.

Gets us similar production too.

Then we're going to have to see in next preseason if some of the young guys are ready to make the jump.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Yeah I'm the same way. I find JT and Quinn to be the better and more impactful players for us, but 100 point centers have to make a certain amount of money no matter what. 

I think that means we have a pretty damn good team 

• ThereItIs 2
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Why does everything always have to circle back to Benning insert hypothetical. It's pathetic. I'm kind of fond of Miller, Hughes, Demko, Pete, Hog, Boeser, Juulson et al. Benning certainly made errors and was pretty mediocre. But it's as if he was some super villian who went around kicking babies. 

Post Benning Stress Disorder.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

He was terrible at contract work (aside from Demko).

So sure super villan baby kicking Benning going to give the 10th leading scorer in the league the biggest contract in NHL history? Time to let go bud. Move on. Benning tried to do his best for the club. Maybe his best wasn't very good but we aren't where we are now without the "Foundation" Benning layed. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

I think the estimates would've been 9 to 9.5 million on an 8 year deal back then. 

It's tough to play hindsight as we have no way to say for sure that Petey wanted an 8 year deal back then. 

Players bet on themselves all the time. If the pandemic didn't last as long, Petey would've been looking at a 14 million deal under a 100 million cap. 

He sure signed an 8 year deal just today.... lol

Saving $2 to $2.6 million is huge.. 

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Non sense

They told him piss or get off the pot..

Put the pressure to him by leaking potential Carolina trade and got him signed..

Nothing false has been reported by Dhaliwal. Pettersson his self publicly reported that he was waiting until the summer until JR put him in his place..

Lol

i have cheap beachfront property to sell you in Florida 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

So sure super villan baby kicking Benning going to give the 10th leading scorer in the league the biggest contract in NHL history? Time to let go bud. Move on. Benning tried to do his best for the club. Maybe his best wasn't very good but we aren't where we are now without the "Foundation" Benning layed. 

First of all I never called Benning a “super villain”. That’s on you.

My remarks were that his biggest weakness was contract work. 

Get a grip

• MillerTime 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He once was much more respected, that time he bad mouthed Drance behind his back on 650 after an interview was a big indicator of his true nature.

Well I’m not a fan of Drance either but bad mouthing publicly is never appropriate or professional