[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Gavingroup calculator.   It's got the cities in there.   The disparity is real.  53% compared to as little as 36.6% ...  Half the games are at home.   Right.   Then there are the Canadian games, and the Jock State tax games (Cali and NY).     JT Miller, lost over 500k per year on his last deal, the moment he was traded to the Canucks.   So for EP that's over 1 ...  Also why TO's deals are very high for their star players.  

When the Sedins signed their second to last deals, BC and Alberta taxes were identical.    That's what an NDP government does.   Went from 47% to 53%.    Nothing against that really.   Aside from the Canucks having to deal with it. 

Always felt Barkov was the best comp.  Add 5% for cap going up.   Or 550k, and some for taxes and this is what we get. 

IMG_3728.png

IMG_3729.png

One thing people don’t consider is endorsements. In Canada EP has the potential to make a lot of extra cake on endorsements. In Florida, he is a nobody. I’m sure the cost of living and tax differential is still better in Florida, but endorsements narrow the gap. Also, there are a lot of ways EP can avoid taxes here. Like holding companies and equities. His endorsements will also be contracted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Anybody have any Covid remedies? I’ve had this thing since Monday night I’m slowly improving but if anybody has any ideas let me know…

Sick Butters Stotch GIF by South Park

My friend, his girlfriend, and his girlfriends daughter all have it. He's on day 6 and just starting to function. He's says if he's still coughing, sniffling, he's going to stay home Monday, maybe even Tuesday.

His tastebuds are thrown off too, he really tastes salt now. But garlic he is still good with.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • MillerTime 1

17 minutes ago, Odd. said:

This motherfucking idiot. I would’ve much rather have had Petey for 8 years at $9M if he signed a long term contract back in 2021. Is this guy stupid? Petey would be in YEAR 4 of a 8 year contract btw.

Imagine doubling down on that stupid ass decision to give Petey a bridge contract when he was interested in a long term contract just so you could sign Poolman and trade for OEL. And this would be after letting Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom ALL walk in which managements excuse was they ran out of time.

This is exactly why we’ve been dogshit for a decade. Incompetence after incompetence. 

Sure.   Why don't we wait awhile longer.   It's not like Allvin isn't fixing things.   New management.   Same core.   You're a fool if you think we'd either have Markstrom at another million for less time, and Demko gone for not much in return.  OEL yep.   Who cares about TT a rental, seen them come and go.   Tanev yep that stung.    Why not instead, just be grateful, we've got EP for 14 years instead?   Don't be stuck in a past that was never going anywhere fast. 

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's always about starting cap percentage.   It's listed in Capfriendly under the current cap hit, so 13.89%.   That's under 14%, which has been historically, reserved for superstars.    It won't age poorly unless he's not scoring 100 plus a year.    We can wait and see.   It's close, but it's also based on the year the player signs.    If he signed after the cap goes up 5% (reported it will) or in the summer, it would look a little better.   This  is on the higher end of the threshold but it's not terrible.   

I was pointing out that Petey ended up signing for considerably less than what many fans were suggesting.

The salary cap is expected to go up for the next few seasons and maybe beyond (according to the

NA economy).  By the time EP reaches his peak, this contract could look fantastic. By then, the very best

NHL players will be signing at a much higher salary than Petey could ever dream of.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

One thing people don’t consider is endorsements. In Canada EP has the potential to make a lot of extra cake on endorsements. In Florida, he is a nobody. I’m sure the cost of living and tax differential is still better in Florida, but endorsements narrow the gap. Also, there are a lot of ways EP can avoid taxes here. Like holding companies and equities. His endorsements will also be contracted. 

EP could make money in other places outside of MTL, TO and Vancouver.   Those are the big 3.    As far as taxes go.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wonder if JR and co are trying to flush out the mole right now.

Seems like Seravalli has an inside man or woman in the organization.

How did he break this without any other “insider” catching wind? He knew details about Miks injury last season too.

Maybe JR or PA had Seravelli informed them selves...

Management teams have relationships with certain media members. Keep them in their pocket..

Give him a little something here and there for favors back... 

Media is a very effective tool to further an organisation's agenda... 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

Just now, higgyfan said:

I was pointing out that Petey ended up signing for considerably less than what many fans were suggesting.

The salary cap is expected to go up for the next few seasons and maybe beyond (according to the

NA economy).  By the time EP reaches his peak, this contract could look fantastic. By then, the very best

NHL players will be signing at a much higher salary than Petey could ever dream of.

Gotcha.  Personally, felt this was his range.   And said from the start it would be under 12.   But that as the highest end.   In other markets 10.5.   That's not the market he's in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

That's not a playoff team

That lineup of players, save a few spots, is first in the conference this year. Mgmt will continue to add youth to the lineup and fill gaps at the TDL so the bottom six and D will fluctuate based on prospect development/etc. But if Mgmt decide that they want to keep DJ and Blueger, that line will need to become the second line.

Another option could be:

Xx/UFA Miller Boeser

DJ EP Garland

xx xx xx

Xx xx xx

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's pretty apparent.

With the way things unfolded im pretty confident that we have a pretty clear picture. ...

From Petterssons own words of no negotiations this year and then the reports of the CAR trade talk to starting negotiations to getting a deal done all within 4 or 5 days.. 

Pretty sure all the reports not only in local media but national media weren't invented by reporters for clicks..

If there was no truth to it the Canucks from ownership to JR down to the coaches would be irate and all over the media letting their feelings be known...

20 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqfiNMQgsyUn5dqXll626Family Tin Foil Hat Front Tv Stock Photo 1731147430 | Shutterstockimage.jpeg.51933378312c572d5f4c00b1cc94ceeb.jpegimage.jpeg.460a9773688dc7107a402642da6a4835.jpegimage.jpeg.dd1e6019bb4efa09df00907127dff418.jpegDon't drink the bleach: Why is the elite press still covering for Trump's  profound stupidity? | Salon.comimage.jpeg.9da951b24b25f55b8036f57ff56ac0d4.jpegimage.jpeg.d99d900fe0c17b31b531113524cc1aff.jpegimage.jpeg.5d621959b298df40f6fb0d886e0a3e4d.jpeg

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   Why don't we wait awhile longer.   It's not like Allvin isn't fixing things.   New management.   Same core.   You're a fool if you think we'd either have Markstrom at another million for less time, and Demko gone for not much in return.  OEL yep.   Who cares about TT a rental, seen them come and go.   Tanev yep that stung.    Why not instead, just be grateful, we've got EP for 14 years instead?   Don't be stuck in a past that was never going anywhere fast. 

That is not the point of my post lol

35 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Youre talking about a difference in 6% rise in cap between 2022 and next year. For Mak this would be an increase. of 756k also you're assuming that cap increases were not factored into Maks negotiations like the cap was just going to stay flat forever?

Don't forget about the tax difference.  The difference on 11.6m is nearly 1.4m between Vancouver and Colorado.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My friend, his girlfriend, and his girlfriends daughter all have it. He's on day 6 and just starting to function. He's says if he's still coughing, sniffling, he's going to stay home.

His tastebuds are thrown off too, he really tastes salt now. But garlic he is still good with.

Yeah I’m slowly turning the corner… I had the chills I was sneezing stuffy green snot sore throat and chills… My taste buds aren’t thrown off though

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Don't forget about the tax difference.  The difference on 11.6m is nearly 1.4m between Vancouver and Colorado.

Only if 100% of the games are played at home. it's more like 700k somewhere close. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Yeah he’ll be the Volvo spokesman for Canada or for BC… He might endorse  some hockey sticks

Just now, Hammertime said:

Only if 100% of the games are played at home. 

Doesn't work that way.  If he spends more than 50% of his time in Canada, he'll be taxed for all of it in Canada.  

• Thanks 1
  • Desmenko 1

8 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I think Conspiracy would be Friedman making it all up and neither Carolina or Vancouver management not blowing up over both teams star players being mentioned in a huge trade like this,  especially so close the the playoffs where both teams are getting ready to make deep runs...

I just don't see a national level guy like Friedman making himself the laughing stock of the league and ruining his career by making it all up...

And everything that followed. Quick negotiations and a deal in 4 days.. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doesn't work that way.  If he spends more than 50% of his time in Canada, he'll be taxed for all of it in Canada.  

The taxes are paid based on the state/prov the game is played in. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • chaos 1

Yeah this might be a dumb question but when they play hockey games in America they’re technically working in America so do they get taxed differently when they’re playing games in America? Or does it not mean anything… 

Because their principal residence is in Canada… etc 

the thought just sorta came to me…

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

And our dollar is at 73 cents to the IS dollar. Guys get paid in US dollars. So multiply 11.6 x .23 and add. Petey is collecting 11.6 + 2.7 exchange. That’s over 14 mil per. Better take home than down south. Plus way less likely to get shot.

10 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

That lineup of players, save a few spots, is first in the conference this year. Mgmt will continue to add youth to the lineup and fill gaps at the TDL so the bottom six and D will fluctuate based on prospect development/etc. But if Mgmt decide that they want to keep DJ and Blueger, that line will need to become the second line.

Another option could be:

Xx/UFA Miller Boeser

DJ EP Garland

xx xx xx

Xx xx xx

lol if dj and garland is the second line.. we ain’t making the playoff next year 

• Confused 2