[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Just now, Hammertime said:

The taxes are paid based on the city the game is played in. 

No it's not.  If you are deemed to be a Canadian resident, you'll be taxed on all worldwide income on your Canadian tax return.  There's a US tax treaty that helps with double taxation though.  But bottomline, players in Vancouver will get taxed much more than those in Colorado. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Conspiracy would be Friedman making it all up and neither Carolina or Vancouver management not blowing up over both teams star players being mentioned in a huge trade like that especially so close the the playoffs where both teams are getting ready to make deep runs...

You wonder if JR was just using Carolina with no intention of actually trading with them - but just to get the negotiations moving - as leverage…

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if dj and garland is the second line.. we ain’t making the playoff next year 

Allvin will acquire more players - the dude has a plan im sure… the dude is a wizard 

lord of the rings laughing GIF

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

The taxes are paid based on the state/prov the game is played in. 

Have a read if you want...

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/certificate-residency.html

"Residents of Canada are subject to tax in Canada on their world income (income from Canadian and foreign sources). Income from sources outside of Canada can also be taxed in the country where it was earned. You may be able to reduce or eliminate the amount of tax you have to pay on income from other countries if Canada has a tax treaty with them."

Edited by HKSR

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

No it's not.  If you are deemed to be a Canadian resident, you'll be taxed on all worldwide income on your Canadian tax return.  There's a US tax treaty that helps with double taxation though.  But bottomline, players in Vancouver will get taxed much more than those in Colorado. 

Might want to look that up. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I can see a scenario that the bottom 4 don't get signed. It depends on what happens between now and July 1.

As painful as it would be, Garland might need to be moved to get some assets back, and free up cap space.

It wouldn't help our speed but Mik for Johansen might be a good bet. It shaves a little off the cap, gets us bigger and more able to handle the more physical clubs.

Gets us similar production too.

Then we're going to have to see in next preseason if some of the young guys are ready to make the jump.

I think that Lindholm might not get signed if his salary expectations are out of whack.  Apparently, he wanted $9M from Calgary.  He's not showing us like he's worth any where near that.

Zadorov is making $3.75M now.  If he wants a healthy raise, for a 3rd pair guy, he may be looking for another gig as well.

We know that Petey's raise is taking up pretty much the whole cap increase so he's going to have to be pretty careful putting the team together for next season.

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

The way I understand it is the taxes are paid based on where the games are play'd maybe someone who knows this stuff can clarify. So while the difference is 53.09% vs 41.06% when the dust settles the take home difference is maybe 700ish K on 11.6m? I'm foggy on it though so 

Stephen Curry Bae GIF by MOODMAN

Cheers amigo.

12% less tax... 12.6 x 0.59 =  $ 7.4M v 11.6 x 0.47 = 5.45 So I guess in real money MacKinnon get roughly $2M net more than Petey each year... 

And I still think Mac is underpaid at that just now at least.

Just like I think Miller is severely underpaid just now.

• Vintage 1

Just now, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

You wonder if JR was just using Carolina with no intention of actually trading with them - but just to get the negotiations moving - as leverage…

I believe JR was playing chess the whole time..  he knew Pettersson would fold...

But I do think JR would make the deal if Pettersson refused to negotiate and get a deal done...

He's been around decades. Has a lot of respect in the NHL. He's not going to let a 25 year old kid push him around.. not at this point of his career...

Necas + Kotkaniemi + + as rumored would have been a lot to think about..

I don't think JR takes it this far if he wasn't prepared to pull the trigger..

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Tyler Myers out week to week...

Move to LTIR? Free up some Cap space 6 days before the TDL?.....

Rumours start to fly in 10, 9, 8...

LOL

Sure hope Soucy is back, otherwise the D is thin.

37 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Well it wasn't media that resulted in the canucks and Canes to start engaging in trade talks. It was due to Petterssons uncertain future.... which came from his choice not to want to come to the table for negotiations.

or, could it have happened like this...?

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-elias-pettersson-agrees-to-eight-year-92-8m-contract-extension/wcm/8b684ab5-ebe6-499d-97c0-f42eaac1b955

"At the end of the day, the wheels on Elias Pettersson’s contract extension didn’t get moving this week: they really got moving a month ago, at All-Star weekend in Toronto.

At that meeting, they agreed to set the last week of February as a target, a week ahead of the NHL trade deadline, to open the door to finalizing a contract, Brisson told Postmedia on Saturday, just an hour after his client put pen to paper on an eight-year, US$92.8 million deal, the richest in Canucks history. It wasn’t a firm target, but one that made sense if they were going to change course and negotiate a new deal before the end of the season, rather than wait till the end which had been Pettersson’s preferred course since last summer".

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I believe JR was playing chess the whole time..  he knew Pettersson would fold...

But I do think JR would make the deal if Pettersson refused to negotiate and get a deal done...

He's been around decades. Has a lot of respect in the NHL. He's not going to let a 25 year old kid push him around.. not at this point of his career...

Necas + Kotkaniemi + + as rumored would have been a lot to think about..

I don't think JR takes it this far if he wasn't prepared to pull the trigger..

Dog Driving GIF
JR in the drivers seat… top dog 

big bossman…

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Correct me if I'm wrong which I never am. But the tax argument is not a big issue these guys have the best accountants and know how to avoid most taxes through charities and LLC's etc. Also petey contract is bonus heavy because the bonus is taxed at 15%. I know Tavares had a surprise about that recently and the CRA came after him but he will win that. Remember wealthy people don't pay taxes. Tax issue really isn't a issue. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I don't agree. He's shown "toughness" in that he isn't afraid to hit.

Balance/core/stability work.

You’ve got to see him falling down a lot though right? That’s my point - is the guy falls down way too much - kind of like the Sedins used to fall down a lot until they figured out how to strengthen themselves so that they could withstand the punishment they were facing game in game out…

Petey has yet to figure that out

whatever it takes he’s gotta become heavier on his skates - harder to play against - solid - immovable 

Just now, Captain Hughes said:

Correct me if I'm wrong which I never am. But the tax argument is not a big issue these guys have the best accountants and know how to avoid most taxes through charities and LLC's etc. Also petey contract is bonus heavy because the bonus is taxed at 15%. I know Tavares had a surprise about that recently and the CRA came after him but he will win that. Remember wealthy people don't pay taxes. Tax issue really isn't a issue. 

That's a big leap though to just assume taxes don't matter.  Besides whatever advantages Petey has to tax evasion, MacKinnon would too... so kind of washes out.

• Upvote 1

Jock tax

https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/iiclr/pdf/vol10p79.pdf

They are taxed both as canadian and american citizens. 

Professional athletes owe a portion of their salary to most states and cities they visit — even for a single day. 

Yeah, that is the double taxation piece.  They get taxed twice.  Once for the state or city, and then again as a Canadian resident.  They get credits/deductions to offset those jock taxes.

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo.

12% less tax... 12.6 x 0.59 =  $ 7.4M v 11.6 x 0.47 = 5.45 So I guess in real money MacKinnon get roughly $2M net more than Petey each year... 

And I still think Mac is underpaid at that just now at least.

Just like I think Miller is severely underpaid just now.

the rumors for Mack were 13-14 he took a discount for sure. 

According to 32 Thoughts, MacKinnon may be looking to become the highest-paid player in the NHL. There are a few ways to look at that statement. Currently, the highest contact cap hit belongs to Connor McDavid at $12.5 million, but contracts like Shea Weber’s 2012 14-year deal with the Nashville Predators have a higher overall value. Further, the highest yearly salary belongs to Joe Sakic at $16.45 million. However, with the way the salary cap and contract limitations are now structured, there is no way for MacKinnon to sign for longer than eight years or make more than $16.5 million.

So, if Nathan MacKinnon is set the become the highest-paid player in the league, he’ll likely sign an 8-year $13-14 million contract with the Avalanche through some mix of base salary and bonuses to protect against lost money due to lockouts. It’s also likely the contract is front-loaded like McDavid and Mitch Marners’ contracts.

Whether the contract settles at $13 million or $14 million or somewhere in that range doesn’t matter, Nathan MacKinnon’s next contract will most likely double his previous cap hit.

That’s not a pill the Avalanche are prepared to easily swallow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sure hope Soucy is back, otherwise the D is thin.

He was practicing today with team, on PK vs PP1 but think they're holding him out until LA Game next Tuesday. 

Looks like Friedman is in against the Ducks. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah, that is the double taxation piece.  They get taxed twice.  Once for the state or city, and then again as a Canadian resident.  They get credits/deductions to offset those jock taxes.

We need @mll 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

or, could it have happened like this...?

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-elias-pettersson-agrees-to-eight-year-92-8m-contract-extension/wcm/8b684ab5-ebe6-499d-97c0-f42eaac1b955

"At the end of the day, the wheels on Elias Pettersson’s contract extension didn’t get moving this week: they really got moving a month ago, at All-Star weekend in Toronto.

At that meeting, they agreed to set the last week of February as a target, a week ahead of the NHL trade deadline, to open the door to finalizing a contract, Brisson told Postmedia on Saturday, just an hour after his client put pen to paper on an eight-year, US$92.8 million deal, the richest in Canucks history. It wasn’t a firm target, but one that made sense if they were going to change course and negotiate a new deal before the end of the season, rather than wait till the end which had been Pettersson’s preferred course since last summer".

Makes total sense. I was just arguing that it wasn't the piss poor media that was forcing everything to happen. It was something driven by the desire for both sides to have some certainty in their respective futures

We need @mll 

These guys have done the math already that includes jock taxes.

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

I'm also a practicing CPA for over 20 years.  I'm coming at you as a professional based on my knowledge.  Im not gonna say I know everything about professional sport taxes, but I know enough about how worldwide income is taxed if you live in Canada.