[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

14 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's a bit ridiculous though.

You don't do that if you're realistic. Players will have hot and cold runs...it's just part of being human. The what have you done for me lately that goes back a couple of games is overkill.

He's over a ppg player, has NINE gwg's (more than Mc or Matthews) and even when he's off he finds ways to contribute. He's up there in the standings but some maybe don't look at big picture. Like they did with Miller...zero in on what he isn't doing and ignore what he is.

People expect dangles and dazzle but sometimes "finding a way" is part of winning. 

He hasn't disappeared...he's struggling a bit. And that's ok because his entire body of work tells the story. Not just the rough patches, which is what some hone in on.

I posted a list earlier on all players that ever played and the number of 100+ point season they had in their careers. Assuming Petey hits 100 this year, that will make 2 so far, a feat only Pavel Bure of the Canucks managed to achieve in the days when he scored back-to-back 60 goal seasons. 

Petey will likely have a few more 100+ point season which on that stat alone will put him in very rare air indeed. Can he get better, absolutely and will be very exciting for the Canucks when he does.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Yes if he disappears in games that matter.

We laugh at Nylander for doing the very same thing. Let’s be consistent in our rationale at least.

McDavid has 1 goal in his last 12 games, he must not be worth his contract eh? Edmonton should trade him before the TDL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

We laugh at Nylander for doing the very same thing. Let’s be consistent in our rationale at least.

Nylander doesn't play in the hard areas. That's not a jab, it's just a fact. Kypreos was describing it the other day and he's the biggest leafs homer that there is.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

PA and his team have definitely shown a strong ability to communicate in a way that prevents negative outcomes/feelings (e.g. Kuz situation, etc.). Underrated skill set.

I think it's just basic honesty, respect and multiple touch points over the year. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

We all know he can be better. What we also need to recognize if we’re being fair is he’s on pace for a 100pts and not playing his best, this means there’s more to give, which is great. 

at the same time, Nylander disappeared for YEARS in the playoffs 

Petey has 18pts in 17 playoff games 

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison 

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bardown said:

We all know he can be better. What we also need to recognize if we’re being fair is he’s on pace for a 100pts and not playing his best, this means there’s more to give, which is great. 

at the same time, Nylander disappeared for YEARS in the playoffs 

Petey has 18pts in 17 playoff games 

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison 

Nylander has 40 points in 50 playoff games and has consistently been the Leafs best fwd playoff performer.  I really don't understand where people get these ideas about WN.  He's been one of th best, most consistent players in the NHL for a long time

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nylander has 40 points in 50 playoff games and has consistently been the Leafs best fwd playoff performer.  I really don't understand where people get these ideas about WN.  He's been one of th best, most consistent players in the NHL for a long time

Saw this yesterday and was pretty surprised 

FB_IMG_1709445993144.jpg

17 minutes ago, Sneakystink said:

Saw this yesterday and was pretty surprised 

FB_IMG_1709445993144.jpg

what are these numbers? in what 222 game span did petey only have 123 points?

don't believe everything you read. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What in the name of all that’s holy?

I came across that photo a while back, and decided to download it because I found it amusing. I used a flimsy Petey as alien excuse to post it.

If you click on a players name in capfriendly it will show a yearly breakdown of salary and bonuses. Whining based on AAV is misleading and dishonest. Also, there is an age difference not being accounted for with most of the comparisons. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

That is silly… he is a great player, but not in the tier of the top three guys so that isn’t any sort of comparison.

You could change that graphic to Kucherov and Pastrnak as the comparables, even accounting for % of cap when they were signed… and it tells a very different story.  Kucherov is 30 points clear of Petterson.

He got a fair deal right in the market range.  He could have held out for $400k more on the open market or could have signed for $400k less to make it team friendly.

They paid for the slight discount by giving the terms in a way to give the most amount of money in his pockets as possible, as well as the full NMC.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not surprised at all, nylander is a star and deservedly so

Too bad it's completely fabricated lol. Petey has never had 222GP had only put up 123P. For this to be true, Petey would have had to put up 275P in 165GP, a 1.67PPG pace.  I have no idea where those numbers are from.

I do agree Nylander is a star, and is the Leafs 2nd best player behind Matthews and people are hard on him for no reason. Don't think he is at the same level as Petey though.

Just now, greenbean30 said:

Too bad it's completely fabricated lol. Petey has never had 222GP had only put up 123P. For this to be true, Petey would have had to put up 275P in 165GP, a 1.67PPG pace.  I have no idea where those numbers are from.

I do agree Nylander is a star, and is the Leafs 2nd best player behind Matthews and people are hard on him for no reason. Don't think he is at the same level as Petey though.

I don't think he's at Petey level either, but he's not far off and definitely more consistent, imo

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I was pointing out that Petey ended up signing for considerably less than what many fans were suggesting.

The salary cap is expected to go up for the next few seasons and maybe beyond (according to the

NA economy).  By the time EP reaches his peak, this contract could look fantastic. By then, the very best

NHL players will be signing at a much higher salary than Petey could ever dream of.

Hmmmm, I guess I better prepare to get a 2nd mortgage on the house then to afford a future $20 draft beer and $15 popcorn at Rogers in the not too distant future.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

This is the richest deal signed by a player heading to RFA with arbitration rights... as far as % of the cap is concerned.

NHLPA will be happy with this deal moving the needle up for RFA contracts.  

And?.... What's the alternative, provided they want to keep him?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's at Petey level either, but he's not far off and definitely more consistent, imo

This isn't correct though. Petey is scoring at a 1.03 PPG rate for this career, Nylander is scoring at a .883 PPG rate. At Petey's age of 25, Nylander was scoring at .734 PPG, so he has gotten better as he has matured. But going by when they were the same age, Petey is much more consistent, a better player and much better defensively.

Edited by greenbean30

20 hours ago, spook007 said:

I think we'll be lucky if he signs for 2M even at 4 years... He will get good offers, and as you said at this stage in his career can he really afford to say no to a windfall? 

I of course hope you are right, as it would be a massive win, if we could keep the 3rd line united (although unlikely).

As many pundits have stated - this team will look quite a bit different next year because we still have 10 UFA's. 2 RFA's and OEL's (massive) $5 MillionDead Cap coming our way next year!    It's 100% guaranteed we will lose a substantial chunk of current players next season - so enjoy this season because things will not get anymore flexible for JR and PA next season.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hmmmm, I guess I better prepare to get a 2nd mortgage on the house then to afford a future $20 draft beer and $15 popcorn at Rogers in the not too distant future.

I was at the Boston game and bought a bottle of coke and a popcorn… the coke was 6 bucks and I turned my ears off before I heard the cost of popcorn lol.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I was at the Boston game and bought a bottle of coke and a popcorn… the coke was 6 bucks and I turned my ears off before I heard the cost of popcorn lol.

that's crazy especially when a pop can be bought for .50 cents a can retail and apparently cost $.08 cents to make(Canadian $$$).....................what did your banks Loan Manager think?  Did you get the loan for the snacks?

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1