[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hmmmm, I guess I better prepare to get a 2nd mortgage on the house then to afford a future $20 draft beer and $15 popcorn at Rogers in the not too distant future.

They are not short on cash... they are short on cap space. I bet Vancouver has more income than every canadian team other than toronto.

1 hour ago, Guntrix said:

Yes if he disappears in games that matter.

We laugh at Nylander for doing the very same thing. Let’s be consistent in our rationale at least.

Funnily enough, Toronto fans are more worried about their other stars disappearing than Nylander.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Nylander has 40 points in 50 playoff games and has consistently been the Leafs best fwd playoff performer.  I really don't understand where people get these ideas about WN.  He's been one of th best, most consistent players in the NHL for a long time

The difference is we got Petey for the next 8 years. Maybe he is not worth 11.6 this year, but for sure he is going to be worth 14, 15 mil in the near future and other teams know this too. Nylander is at a peak or at least leveled out.

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

that's crazy especially when a pop can be bought for .50 cents a can retail and apparently cost $.08 cents to make(Canadian $$$).....................what did your banks Loan Manager think?  Did you get the loan for the snacks?

I think the Costco event parking for 40 gets me 🙂  The Fanny Bay Oyster restaurant after the game was expensive but I feel like they deserve it lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

As many pundits have stated - this team will look quite a bit different next year because we still have 10 UFA's. 2 RFA's and OEL's (massive) $5 MillionDead Cap coming our way next year!    It's 100% guaranteed we will lose a substantial chunk of current players next season - so enjoy this season because things will not get anymore flexible for JR and PA next season.

Meh, will it? The core is locked up. Hronek will get locked up. Even some of the depth/role guys will get extended. Myers and his expiring $6m is an opportunity to finally apply some of that cap towards a RHD that actually fits in our top 4, not a "problem" to overcome. And good teams always have turnover in depth/role guys, who we should also have some cheap kids on ELC/bridge deals to backfill with.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

They are not short on cash... they are short on cap space. I bet Vancouver has more income than every canadian team other than toronto.

Last year we were 4th amongst Canadian teams...

2023 nhl revenues

Oilers  281m

Leafs  281m

Canadiens 265m

Canucks 198m

Flames 183m

Jets 162m

Senators 128m

This season will be better after our 4 rounds of playoff revenue 😉

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meh, will it? The core is locked up. Hronek will get locked up. Even some of the depth/role guys will get extended. Myers and his expiring $6m is an opportunity to finally apply some of that cap towards a RHD that actually fits in our top 4, not a "problem" to overcome. And good teams always have turnover in depth/role guys, who we should also have some cheap kids on ELC/bridge deals to backfill with.

In a perfect world "Meh" might partially apply.   The problem is that 11 players are going to expect some kind of raise after this seasons performance and that won't work but I hope your secret to contact settlements works out!

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd go hard after Matt Roy in the summer as a UFA.  Perfect partner for Zadorov.  When Willander is ready he can play with Soucy and D-Petey.

Hughes        Hronek

Zadorov       Roy

Soucy          Willander

D-Petey      Juulsen

That could be our defence for the next 4-5 years...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Last year we were 4th amongst Canadian teams...

2023 nhl revenues

Oilers  281m

Leafs  281m

Canadiens 265m

Canucks 198m

Flames 183m

Jets 162m

Senators 128m

This season will be better after our 4 rounds of playoff revenue 😉

I think they are way up this year, just on ticket prices! (i look, i dream) the seats for most games are closer to Toronto prices this year.

The only places I can afford to go to canucks games are Ottawa and Montreal 🙂

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

In a perfect world "Meh" might partially apply.   The problem is that 11 players are going to expect some kind of raise after this seasons performance and that won't work but I hope your secret to contact settlements works out!

The only players that matter are Hronek, Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov.  The other 7 guys can walk and are easily replaceable.  In fact, we will have internal replacements for many of them.  Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Bains, Silovs are 4 players that can come right in.  Raty, D-Petey and Willander will be on their way the following season.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd go hard after Matt Roy in the summer as a UFA.  Perfect partner for Zadorov.  When Willander is ready he can play with Soucy and D-Petey.

Hughes        Hronek

Zadorov       Roy

Soucy          Willander

D-Petey      Juulsen

That could be our defence for the next 4-5 years...

you dont think LA is going to give him a raise?

I think we should target our own RFA Myers at a deep discount.

2 hours ago, Guntrix said:

Not worth that much.

Regardless, last thing I wanna see on here is people saying Pettersson shouldn’t be criticized. With that contract, he should absolutely be held to the highest standards. No more disappearing acts. 

Not surprised you're saying that. You have a tendency to have unrealistically high expectations to the point where you're in some fantasy land and far from reality.

If we were at the negotiating table, you'd be on one end without budging and wondering why all your players are walking away to other teams.

Edited by The Lock

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only players that matter are Hronek, Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov.  The other 7 guys can walk and are easily replaceable.  In fact, we will have internal replacements for many of them.  Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Bains, Silovs are 4 players that can come right in.  Raty, D-Petey and Willander will be on their way the following season.  

I'd like to share your optimism but some of those players are having marginal season's in the minor farm system, are too young or have already been unable to prove they're NHL ready - like last weeks "Bains" experiment.  They might look "pretty" on paper but nothing replaces an experienced NHL player.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We'll lose a couple guys... I'd imagine Blueger is gone unless he takes a discount to stay for example... But again good teams cycle through depth/role players. We already have Suter under contract, he can slide in there.

There isn't really that much to worry about after Hronek (who should only add +/-$2.5m). Sure DK probably gets a bit of a raise, assuming we keep him, we maybe lose Blueger and Lafferty, everyone else gets incremental raises, or in the case of guys like Myers, walks, and is likely replaced with someone cheaper like Tanev at +/-$3.5-$4m actually saving cap.

Back fill with some mix of Podz/Bains/Karlsson etc, other cheap, pro scouting UFA's (who are more likely to come after our success this year), more Lafferty like trades etc, with the core intact, it's not going to be THAT different. And there isn't 11 guys looking for large raises.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

you dont think LA is going to give him a raise?

I think we should target our own RFA Myers at a deep discount.

Sure, LA will go hard after him.  But LA is a pretender, we are a contender.  Pair Roy with Zadorov and our 2nd pairing is set.  I'd easily give him a 5x5 contract...

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, DeNiro said:

I do think he struggles with talking to the media at times though. Seems to be kind of introverted.

Thats why I think alot of the stuff he was saying was scripted from his agents. 

Introverted, uncomfortable with the media spotlight in general AND still not super comfortable with English. You could tell when that one reporter tried to get him to reflect on how he was feeling about his and the team's future at the end of Benning's reign that he had trouble grasping the entirety of a somewhat nuanced question. The guy repeated it almost word for word and Petey still didn't really answer him. Not because he didn't want to or was trying to be professional and respectful, although I'm sure he's doing that as well, but because it just kinda went over his head.

Reminded me of some of Kuz's post-game interviews where the person with the mic would ask a long drawn out question and you could just see his eyes glazing over as he had no clue what the person was getting at. These reporters and staffers need to learn to do a better job of simplifying their questions for those who weren't born and raised speaking the language

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Maybe add DeSmith in there if he's reasonable on his ask and wants to be back.

But yup Zadorov isn't likely to see more than a few hundred K. Lindholm +/-$1.5 (or we move on/spend that elsewhere), Joshua $1.5-$2...

It's really not as scary as some seem to think. Though I do think we move Garland out to help pay for improvements, higher up the lineup.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, LA will go hard after him.  But LA is a pretender, we are a contender.  Pair Roy with Zadorov and our 2nd pairing is set.  I'd easily give him a 5x5 contract...

So, you already are giving away Boeser next year? Demko following?

I mean yeah we have people coming up but why lock up that much cap (you are saying sign Hronek, Big Z, and now Roy for long term) in defense?

I think everyone is saying 5 mill here, 7 mil there, 8.5 mil here while not considering next season's plans

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. Maybe add DeSmith in there if he's reasonable on his ask and wants to be back.

But yup Zadorov isn't likely to see more than a few hundred K. Lindholm +/-$1.5 (or we move on/spend that elsewhere), Joshua $1.5-$2...

It's really not as scary as some seem to think. Though I do think we move Garland out to help pay for improvements, higher up the lineup.

Yea Lindholm has been trending down and with this seasons projection will have averaged around 65 points over the last three seasons.

I would say 6-6.5 is more than fair. If he accepts that I think it’s a good add. Of course we’ll have to see what he does in playoffs first.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's really not as scary as some seem to think.

I have this:

Hronek - 7.5

Lindholm - 6.5

Zadorov - 4

Joshua - 2.5

Give or take that is where they will mostly land.  So 20.5 million for the 4 key guys.  That's 16 guys signed and leaves us with around $8.5 million in cap space to fill out the last 7 guys.  So Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Bains, Silovs are 4 of those guys on cheap contracts, so we have room for one more high priced guy on defence.  My choice would be Matt Roy.  I've give him a 5x5 contract...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I mean yeah we have people coming up but why lock up that much cap (you are saying sign Hronek, Big Z, and now Roy for long term) in defense?

I think everyone is saying 5 mill here, 7 mil there, 8.5 mil here while not considering next season's plans

Cap is going up $4 million per year every year.  Plus, Mikheyev and Garland will be gone to make room for the young guys.  That's another $10 million in cap space added.  We can't keep everyone.  But we MUST keep our core star players together...

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think I found Zadorov's burner account. 😄 

Big Z hasn't been re-signed yet, and their is a good chance he isn't as he may be looking for too much on his next contract.

2 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

Big Z hasn't been re-signed yet, and their is a good chance he isn't as he may be looking for too much on his next contract.

I think 4.5 gets it done but he wants a long term deal. So you’d have to offer 5-6 years most likely. 

They have to ask themselves if he’s a core player if they’re willing to go that long.

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

Zadorov is a lifelong Canucks fan.  He was cheering for us in 2011 and his favourite players were the Sedins.  He will take a bit less to stay here and win a few cups with us...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

The cap will be going up, other contracts expire, kids like Lekkerimaki, Willander coming in on ELC's