[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

My guess is 10.82m I think he will leave about a mill per on the table for the chance to win with his friends. He knows the great bargains Miller, Huggy, Demko are on and the great opportunity they all have together. If he's too greedy none of them will get a cup. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because JT is not a 8 million dollar player? he's prolly closer to a 9 9.5mil player but his latter years the final 3-4 he's prolly going to be a sub 4-5mil player.. say if he signed for 4 years at 9.5.. there's no guarante he even get 5mil in the latter 3 if he was to re-sign.. and even if he does that's still less than  8x7.. so he took the safe path. the major difference between the EP and JT deal.. you are pretty much guaranteed EP at his prime/peak during the entire contract vs JT prime/peak during maybe 50% of his contract.. if by your standard.. then there should be no one signing a contract more than jack hughes or quinn hughes in the nhl ever until their contract expires because both took a gamble on their contract and lost?

I hear you but prime/ peak is wishful, our basis and assumptions better off on now. 

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Like I said media is always stirring up crap then one day we see a report like this. And all the negative bickering and speculation for nothing

The ongoing loop this conversation has become on 650 radio at least in the past couple weeks has been nothing short of nauseating

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Miller was signed during the cap freeze era.  The recent signings are showing a substanial increase in the

salary cap.  If JT was signing his contract this year, he would be in for big $; due to the cap increase and his

hugely improved game. 

Goalies (Demko) rarely get the $ that star forwards sign for.  QH will undoubtably get a larger $ because

he is the best player on the team and will be signing 3yrs from now, so the cap will have increased.

The other players you added are not core players, so their contracts will not be in the league of

Petey, Quinn and Demko (JT is core, but his contract reflects the time it was signed). The other

players will get an increase in $, due to improved play AND due to the increase in salary cap.

Sure but wasn't JT a 100 point player during/before/after he signed it?

Is Vaselevski or  Bob comparable in price to TD?

QH obviously goes huge...but not for a few more years giving us a window as TD's contract has.

NK EL PH and the also not mentioned TB JD offered as examples of future players due raises that we need some cap room for.

Edited by Catman

14 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

11.5 for 8 years. Looks like my Petey speculation and comments have worked. You’re welcome. 

13 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

My guess is 10.82m I think he will leave about a mill per on the table for the chance to win with his friends. He knows the great bargains Miller, Huggy, Demko are on and the great opportunity they all have together. If he's too greedy none of them will get a cup. 

35 minutes ago, occ78 said:

10-10.5 hopefully or less 

27 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Might as well put a final guess. 8 x $11 for $88m makes Petey well over a $100m man

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

8 x $11.875 for $95m

We should make a poll. 

See whose guess is the closest. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

And now for something completely different

what’s with these ads at the top of the screen…

Good grief…

41F493E2-5952-4DEF-870B-865FFCCE6C09.png

Wooo… perfect self burn!  I guess you didn’t know it is based on your own search history.  😄

I try to put on a post so that I can refer to it and see how I felt about a move at the time.  That is the fair way to judge it, no matter how it turns out.  No one can tell the future.

I would be fine with an $11.5 max term contract, under that I think it is a win by the team.  I think it probably ends up a little more than Nylander just for optics.  Like $11.8.  At $12 million I feel pretty neutral about whether is is signed or traded.

Above $12 and I get antsy about how it affects our salary structure for the rest of the team.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Do you honestly think Miller is an $8M player? In my mind, he's playing like a $12M player, so to consider Petey being paid $12M is saying he's better than Miller is just ridiculous. What it would imply is that Miller is underpaid, not that Petey is overpaid.

Miller is an 8 million dollar player this is fact. 

Petey is a 7.5 milloin dollar player this is fact.

How does EP grab 4 million more than JT?

Oh and by the way honesty has nothing to do with our interactions here cause we are all liars shouting in an empty room.

Edited by Catman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Catman said:

Oh and by the way honesty has nothing to do with our interactions here cause we are all liars shouting in an empty room.

agreed...JT provides so much more than petey

that is why I was fine with trading him

at 12m per that is too much but oh well...we have some great talent if that actually happens

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Catman said:

I mean in terms of effective value on the ice, not how much they're actually paid.

If Miller was paid $1M would you make the argument that Petey shouldn't get more than $1M or would you consider maybe that Miller is on a steal of a deal?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Mac said:

agreed...JT provides so much more than petey

that is why I was fine with trading him

at 12m per that is too much but oh well...we have some great talent if that actually happens

But signing him to an 8 year deal, you are banking on his potential . He claims he wants to win and him signing a contract to 8 yrs over 11m is handicapping us with re-signing and signing other players in the future. Think he gets more than Miller but hoping it's not a whole lot more.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I mean in terms of effective value on the ice, not how much they're actually paid.

If Miller was paid $1M would you make the argument that Petey shouldn't get more than $1M or would you consider maybe that Miller is on a steal of a deal?

I suppose it goes the other way too - if Nylander was getting paid $11.5m, does Pettersson necessarily have to get more, or would you consider that Nylander might be overpaid?

Edited by 43isprime
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

because JT is not a 8 million dollar player? he's prolly closer to a 9 9.5mil player but his latter years the final 3-4 he's prolly going to be a sub 4-5mil player.. say if he signed for 4 years at 9.5.. there's no guarante he even get 5mil in the latter 3 if he was to re-sign.. and even if he does that's still less than  8x7.. so he took the safe path. the major difference between the EP and JT deal.. you are pretty much guaranteed EP at his prime/peak during the entire contract vs JT prime/peak during maybe 50% of his contract.. if by your standard.. then there should be no one signing a contract more than jack hughes or quinn hughes in the nhl ever until their contract expires because both took a gamble on their contract and lost?

I get you but how to compare or to gamble on prime/recent production or expectations?

Been a huge EP fan up until lately. But it's been a tough stretch cause he's so streaky. 

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And by this logic, all real estate in BC is far overpriced for what it's worth, and what the average person can earn.

Sadly the free market, is all about greed.

9 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

I suppose it goes the other way too - if Nylander was getting paid $11.5m, does Pettersson necessarily have to get more, or would you consider that Nylander might be overpaid?

Indeed, this is a good point to consider too. It all sort of becomes relative, which does somewhat muddy the waters.

• Thanks 1