[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

24 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Right, so you agree it's not in line with Mackinnon's. That's my point. Unfortunately, Mackinnon happens to be the guy in our conference. 

Yes 11 isn't 12. In other news, rocks aren't water.

24 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

What makes you think Pettersson's deal is in line with Pastrnak's? The Athletic values Pastrnak currently at 13.1m this season, and Pettersson at 10.9m. Obviously The Athletic is not the be all end all, and Pastrnak is 2.5 years older, but if you have a better and more objective way of comparing them, I'm all ears. I certainly haven't seen enough of his games to say anything definitive.

My initial reaction to Nylander's deal was that it was a bit high, but as with Pastrnak, I haven't seen him play enough to say anything definitive. For what it's worth, The Athletic values him at 10.3m, and Panarin at 11.9m.

Production. 

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

And EP has a Calder. It's tough to compare the two, different teams, linemates, maturation rate. Pointless really. We have a stud center locked up or a long time at a more than fair contract. 

I'm not sure the Calder Trophy factors heavily into a player's valuation from ages 25-33. But for what it's worth, Mackinnon also has a Calder. 

Crosby does not have a Calder, and Myers does. Some great players have won the Calder, some haven't, and really, I don't believe it matters much, especially in the long run.

Again, "more than fair" - how do you justify that?

4 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

I'm not sure the Calder Trophy factors heavily into a player's valuation from ages 25-33. But for what it's worth, Mackinnon also has a Calder. 

Crosby does not have a Calder, and Myers does. Some great players have won the Calder, some haven't, and really, I don't believe it matters much, especially in the long run.

Again, "more than fair" - how do you justify that?

Production 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, Coryberg said:

You take away 10 games that he didn't get on the scoresheet and he is closer to 115 point guy.

They have a name for such practices...Finance Newsletter GIF by tastytrade

Interesting. So the concept of consistency doesn't exist for you. You don't mind that the player the team just committed 11.6m to can go stretches where he barely shows up, and that he appears to show up sporadically when the particular game is goes his way.

That won't fly in the playoffs where every game matters, and going pointless in 4 straight games could mean the end of the season. I'd imagine you wouldn't be complaining about people cherry-picking a 4 game stretch then 🤣

A player who can be counted on consistently to show up and drive play on a near nightly basis is far more valuable.

5 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Pettersson's longest point streak I believe is 8 games.

MacKinnon is a tier above. He's on a different level than EP40.  Superstar vs franchise star 

EP40 needs to put on some weight and get stronger. MacKinnon has tree trunks for legs. He's a bull. 

• Upvote 1

A common refrain I hear is that Pettersson is still young and getting better.

Offensively, has he actually improved significantly since his first one or two seasons?

I'd argue most of Pettersson's improvements have been on the defensive side, and the fact that he's able to throw more hits because he has gotten stronger.

I definitely don't see the same level of improvement I've seen in Hughes, for example, where year over year it's clear that he's adding to his game (both offensively and defensively).

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

Offensively, has he actually improved significantly since his first one or two seasons?

I'd argue most of Pettersson's improvements have been on the defensive side, and the fact that he's able to throw more hits because he has gotten stronger.

I definitely don't see the same level of improvement I've seen in Hughes, for example, where year over year it's clear that he's adding to his game (both offensively and defensively).

offensively have he ever been given a proper top 6 winger to play with consistently since he joined the team?

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

offensively have he ever been given a proper top 6 winger to play with consistently since he joined the team?

Yes, Boeser and Miller. This year is a bit of a different story, but Boeser was pretty much his permanent linemate until last season and Miller was his second and third seasons (plus large parts of his 4th).

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Yes, Boeser and Miller. This year is a bit of a different story, but Boeser was pretty much his permanent linemate until last season and Miller was his second and third seasons (plus large parts of his 4th).

boeser have literally been the permanate linemate of miller ever since he arrived.. the lotto line played what? 1.5 seasons together? miller was hardly EP's linemate last season.. his 4th.. out of 5 season u get 1.5 season with boeser and miller?? and then the other 3.5 seasons? in the last 3 season he spent 800mins on the ice with boeser and over 2000 mins without boeser 500 min with miller and 2600+ without miller i hardly call that those are his permanate linemates. this is 5v5.. boeser played 2800 mins in the last 3 season so far and only spent 800mins with boeser.. miller played 3000+ mins and only 500 mins with EP. basically ep last 3 season were not given any consistent linemates.. all the top players in the league in terms of scoring.. all have at least 1 forward at 2000+ mins played together 5v5 the last 3 season.. miller is close at 1800 with boeser.. if he didn't had the bad start last season and defensive issue where he was demoted and rotating thru lines.. he prolly hit 2k+ .. EP by comparison doesn't even have a single forward even touching 1000mins at 5v5

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Since his first couple of seasons:

1. Has Pettersson improved his skating relative to the league?

2. Is Pettersson able to create more space more often for himself and his teammates (the way Quinn Hughes does)?

3. Is Pettersson able to get his shots off more often?

4. Has Pettersson shown more of the flashes of individual skill that you would expect from a superstar?

52 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

boeser have literally been the permanate linemate of miller ever since he arrived.. the lotto line played what? 1.5 seasons together? miller was hardly EP's linemate last season.. his 4th.. out of 5 season u get 1.5 season with boeser and miller?? and then the other 3.5 seasons? in the last 3 season he spent 800mins on the ice with boeser and over 2000 mins without boeser 500 min with miller and 2600+ without miller i hardly call that those are his permanate linemates. this is 5v5.. boeser played 2800 mins in the last 3 season so far and only spent 800mins with boeser.. miller played 3000+ mins and only 500 mins with EP. basically ep last 3 season were not given any consistent linemates.. all the top players in the league in terms of scoring.. all have at least 1 forward at 2000+ mins played together 5v5 the last 3 season.. miller is close at 1800 with boeser.. if he didn't had the bad start last season and defensive issue where he was demoted and rotating thru lines.. he prolly hit 2k+ .. EP by comparison doesn't even have a single forward even touching 1000mins at 5v5

You are aware this is Pettersson's 6th season, not his 5th, right? I am well aware neither played much with Pettersson last season (Miller played with Bo and Boeser floated around the lineup a bit) and obviously they've only played 7 or so games together this season. That doesn't disprove any of what I said. Why are you trying to use the past two seasons, which I already acknowledged neither Boeser nor Miller played much with Pettersson, to say that he's never in his career played with a top 6 winger? There are still 4 other seasons.

Also, so if we know that Boeser and Petey haven't played together last season or this season but Boeser has still played almost 1/3 of his minutes with Pettersson (800 of 2800) then that means almost all of his minutes were with Pettersson 3 seasons ago and since it was 1/3 of his minutes it means that it was most of the season. Same with Miller. I said a large chunk of his 4th season, not the entirety of it, and 500 minutes is a pretty large chunk of the season.

Yes, this season Pettersson has not had consistent top 6 caliber players to play with and it would be nice to address it. But, your question was has he ever had a consistent top 6 player in his career and the answer is yes. Just not recently.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

You are aware this is Pettersson's 6th season, not his 5th, right? I am well aware neither played much with Pettersson last season (Miller played with Bo and Boeser floated around the lineup a bit) and obviously they've only played 7 or so games together this season. That doesn't disprove any of what I said. Why are you trying to use the past two seasons, which I already acknowledged neither Boeser nor Miller played much with Pettersson, to say that he's never in his career played with a top 6 winger? There are still 4 other seasons.

Also, so if we know that Boeser and Petey haven't played together last season or this season but Boeser has still played almost 1/3 of his minutes with Pettersson (800 of 2800) then that means almost all of his minutes were with Pettersson 3 seasons ago and since it was 1/3 of his minutes it means that it was most of the season. Same with Miller. I said a large chunk of his 4th season, not the entirety of it, and 500 minutes is a pretty large chunk of the season.

Yes, this season Pettersson has not had consistent top 6 caliber players to play with and it would be nice to address it. But, your question was has he ever had a consistent top 6 player in his career and the answer is yes. Just not recently.

last 2? i used the last 3? miller played 500 mins TOTAL in the last 3 season with EP so how is that a pretty large chunk of the season? the first couple season of EP he was fine except that 3rd season where he had a injury issue.. since then he had infinite different linemates.. i dunno how you jump to the conclusion beause boeser and miller didn't play much with EP these last 2 season therefore all those 500 and 800mins must be from 3 seasons ago.. boeser played 400 mins and miller played 200 mins with EP 3 seasons ago... if u mean 4 seasons ago then again he didnt play much with them since he only played 21 games and then the season ended.

6 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Since his first couple of seasons:

1. Has Pettersson improved his skating relative to the league?

2. Is Pettersson able to create more space more often for himself and his teammates (the way Quinn Hughes does)?

3. Is Pettersson able to get his shots off more often?

4. Has Pettersson shown more of the flashes of individual skill that you would expect from a superstar?

NO and this contract sucks 

16 hours ago, canucks curse said:

EP 40 looking like a baby deer out there 

People ragged on the Sedins early too and Petey has far outperformed them at the same age.

He’ll figure it out with the Sedins to guide him.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:52 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Höglander could be that guy moving forward. I bet management goes out this off-season and attempts to find someone for Petey's wing. 

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

People ragged on the Sedins early too and Petey has far outperformed them at the same age.

He’ll figure it out with the Sedins to guide him.

Yeah. Everyone calling the Sedins "sisters" - I guess that really drove them to be almost 1,000 point producers in the league. 

Fans in this town are so fickle. Cheering for Petey, and then the next night turning on him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Höglander could be that guy moving forward. I bet management goes out this off-season and attempts to find someone for Petey's wing. 

sure he can be but until he gets a proper top 6 that they'll play together consistently i don't think it's fair to be comparing him and bashing the fuk out of him compared to other players in top 10 scoring coz most if not all of them have a sidekick that cost anywhere from 7-10mil that they are literally glued to 

• Cheers 1

If he was superstar which they are paying him the dollar 

he should be able to dominate this game like Pasta, MacKinnon 

We don’t need to keep saying they need to find someone to play with him… 

he is no where near 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. Everyone calling the Sedins "sisters" - I guess that really drove them to be almost 1,000 point producers in the league. 

Fans in this town are so fickle. Cheering for Petey, and then the next night turning on him. 

Coincidentally, Pettersson's play can also be described as fickle.