[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

EP is performing well above expectations for his current cap hit.  It’s NEXT year when his new contract kicks in, so expectations are 100+ pt.  No less.

• Cheers 1

I really don't give a shii about his season stats if he doesn't show up in the playoffs. Hate to see him flame out chasing secondary assists and then be too tired injured for the post season 

Imho

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

EP is performing well above expectations for his current cap hit.  It’s NEXT year when his new contract kicks in, so expectations are 100+ pt.  No less.

Should be top 5 in scoring.. hes top 5 highest paid players in the league. Unfortunately Pettersson has never gotten close to an Art Ross trophy before. 

Edited by Drakrami

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Should be top 5 in scoring.. hes top 5 highest paid players in the league. Unfortunately Pettersson has never gotten close to an Art Ross trophy before. 

Top 5 scoring?

No

Yes he will be top 5 highest paid players but Petey is more a 2 two way player then only a scoring machine.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Within the next 2 years several players will have past him... in 4-5 years it may even look like a very good deal. 

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

How long before the.. Is Pettersson unreadable?? Thread?

I’m waiting for next year.  
He is outperforming his current contract.  

Next year, he is expected to perform every single night and be dominant most games.  
You get top wages, you put in top performances. 
OR receive top criticism.   

Personally I am bit worried about Petey in the future.  
He is streaky and doesn’t like the media attention.  
If he doesn’t perform, he will be getting lit up and is going to hate it here in no time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m waiting for next year.  
He is outperforming his current contract.  

Next year, he is expected to perform every single night and be dominant most games.  
You get top wages, you put in top performances. 
OR receive top criticism.   

Personally I am bit worried about Petey in the future.  
He is streaky and doesn’t like the media attention.  
If he doesn’t perform, he will be getting lit up and is going to hate it here in no time. 

He is currently costing $85,465 per point.  

I don't know if that's really "outperforming" his current contract....

https://www.capfriendly.com/cost-per-point

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

He is currently costing $85,465 per point.  

I don't know if that's really "outperforming" his current contract....

https://www.capfriendly.com/cost-per-point

Yes, that is outperforming his current contract. The general rule of thumb for scorers is $100,000 per point. You'll notice that Petey is ahead of some players this season in cost per point such as McDavid, MacKinnon, and Pastrnak.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Yes, that is outperforming his current contract. The general rule of thumb for scorers is $100,000 per point. You'll notice that Petey is ahead of some players this season in cost per point such as McDavid, MacKinnon, and Pastrnak.

Well, he's behind Draisaitl, Miller, Nylander and Kucherov.... 

So next year, to just be "average", you're saying he needs to hit 116 points...

24 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yes, except he's allowed some wiggle room due to his defense.

He should be able to get a point almost every game and also still have big nights to get him over 100 points next year. I just don't want disappearing acts next year.

• Cheers 1

I'm not concerned or expecting Petey to always hit a 100 points a year on the new deal starting next season. That would be great and all, but unlike McDavid, Drai, Kuch - Petey seems to also be very focused on being a solid defensive player as well. 

That is a quality I really like about him and want him to continue to work on. I'm sure he could cut way more corners on the defensive end to help generate some more points, but what can I say I love a Datsyuk style player! 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

A 100 point Selke finalist is easily worth $11.6 million next season.  Also, his contract is for 8 years, so even though he may not perform to that contract next season, he definitely will be during that 8-year term.  Also, $11.6 million won't seem as much in 2-3 years as it does now when McDavid re-signs for $16 million and Draisaitl gets $15 million.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Correct.  Those fellas get paid more than him currently.  

Next year, he should be hitting at least 100 points while being rock solid defensively. Including a PK and PP stud.  
It’s an over 4 mill raise and expectations for his cap hit are going to be huge.  

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

I think most hockey fans would agree that Draisaitl, Miller, Nylander and Kucherov are all playing well above their current salary.

As other's have said, Petey also brings a very good defensive game to go along with his scoring abilities, so for him to be worth his upcoming contract he would probably only need to put up around 95+ pts a season to be well worth it.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 100 point Selke finalist is easily worth $11.6 million next season.  Also, his contract is for 8 years, so even though he may not perform to that contract next season, he definitely will be during that 8-year term.  Also, $11.6 million won't seem as much in 2-3 years as it does now when McDavid re-signs for $16 million and Draisaitl gets $15 million.

Wait, earlier this season you pencilled him in as a back-to-back 100 pt center.

Now you're pencilling him in as a 100 pt Selke finalist?

15 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Wait, earlier this season you pencilled him in as a back-to-back 100 pt center.

Now you're pencilling him in as a 100 pt Selke finalist?

At $7.35 million he is a bargain for a 90 point defensive centre. Next year when his new contract kicks in I expect him to hit 100 points again and be in contention for the Selke trophy. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, boziffous said:

I think most hockey fans would agree that Draisaitl, Miller, Nylander and Kucherov are all playing well above their current salary.

As other's have said, Petey also brings a very good defensive game to go along with his scoring abilities, so for him to be worth his upcoming contract he would probably only need to put up around 95+ pts a season to be well worth it.

Yep.   There is a premium added for stars.   They get paid.    For all those whining about this deal ... would you be happier instead we had a few extra Granlunds instead of Lafferty, PDG and Zucker as our second line C?    Ridiculous.   We won't ever win a cup with a team like that. 

Edit:  Near the start of this thread,  said god forbid it if EP signs for over 11 and isn't scoring 100 points a season.    Didn't expect it to start this soon. 

Something positive.   For the first time in EPs career, he's over 50% in the dot.   The guy works on every part of his game constantly.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:12 PM, -AJ- said:

I'd reckon Miller probably left about $1M at the time of his contract, but it's hard to find examples of more than that. None are jumping to my mind at least.

He did.  Enough to re-sign Horvat to a fair deal (while his would be team friendly), up to 7.5 even....

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Too lazy to do the math again. 

Starting cap hit is based on the year signed, EPs is 13.89%.   Next season cap goes up, 5% or so, and his cap hit goes down 5% or so.   By the time he's 29-30, the Sedins peak seasons (and Naslund's peak was 27-32 as well), his cap percentage should look a lot like the "bargain" deals the Sedins signed.   Those were just under 11% each.    

EPs 26 first year 87.5

EPs 27 second year 93

EPs 28 third year  98.5

EPs 29 fourth year 103

EPs 30 fifth years  108.5

EPs 31 six year   114

EPs 32 sixth year 120

EPs 33 seventh year 126

EPs 34th 8th year 131

5% is pretty normal.   This isn't exact.  But pretty sure in his fourth year cap will be over 100...and by the end of his deal instead of 13.89 at 83.5 ... it will be well below 10% of the cap. 

Edit:   The team does need him to produce at this price range.   The next 3-4 years especially.   90-100 is fine as is with his defensive play.   Over 50% in the dot this year.   That's amazing considering where he started at (LW-C .. low 40's).    Your right, 14-15% of the cap when QHs gets his next deal, is going to be 14-15 million.   Choke on that.   Also something to consider on the Hronek thread.   Sure maybe Hronek makes a little more then QHs for a couple years ... until he doesn't. 

As an aside, the only Canucks to make EPs cap percentage or more are Naslund (3 time first line all-star in a row,  Pearson winner, Hart finalist and Art Ross lost by a couple points ...) and Luongo. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Something positive.   For the first time in EPs career, he's over 50% in the dot.   The guy works on every part of his game constantly.  

Excellent point.  What we're seeing is a transformation of his game.  His offence is struggling, so he's learning things to try and contribute in other ways.  You can see things starting to happen with him the past few games in particular.  I'm excited because I have a really good feeling that he's gonna find his groove just in time for the playoffs to start.  Couldn't have asked for better timing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Excellent point.  What we're seeing is a transformation of his game.  His offence is struggling, so he's learning things to try and contribute in other ways.  You can see things starting to happen with him the past few games in particular.  I'm excited because I have a really good feeling that he's gonna find his groove just in time for the playoffs to start.  Couldn't have asked for better timing.

Petey is a complete centre. The best all around centre in the NHL. 

He’s a 90-100 point player. Over 50% in the faceoff circle. Plays in all situations. Has 120 hits. Is elite defensively. 

His only comparable is Barkov who signed his contract almost 3 years ago and plays in Florida with no state taxes. 

In 2-3 years when McDavid is making $16 million, $11.6 million will look like a bargain for Petey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is a complete centre. The best all around centre in the NHL. 

He’s a 90-100 point player. Over 50% in the faceoff circle. Plays in all situations. Has 120 hits. Is elite defensively. 

His only comparable is Barkov who signed his contract almost 3 years ago and plays in Florida with no state taxes. 

In 2-3 years when McDavid is making $16 million, $11.6 million will look like a bargain for Petey. 

Barkov didn't play with MT last year ...  This year is making Reinhart look pretty darn good.     Their first line and second lines are razor thin, last playoffs Barkov was on their second line.   Just like EP is now. 

He's the best comp for sure, but play completely different games.   And i'd have to admit with no rose glasses, at the same cap hit, i'd be over the moon if EP has the same impact Barkov has had on Florida from age 25 and on.    Barkov reminds me a little of Jagr as far as how hard it is to take off the puck once he has it.    Legs like sequoia's, and produces consistent regular offense regardless of whom he's playing with.      Agree with the tax stuff and the 5% cap going up,  EP actually left some money on the table as far as take home goes.   10.5 makes more then 11.6, way of the NHL hockey universe.  

The time to start getting concerned is next season.     He sure doesn't look or play like LE did. 

As far as best all around C right now?  That's either Miller or Barkov (power forward verus 2-way...suppose it's pick your poison..Aho isn't a bad choice either, EPs fallen too far the second half IMO).    If you're not PKing, probably shouldn't be in the running either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Barkov didn't play with MT last year ...  This year is making Reinhart look pretty darn good.     Their first line and second lines are razor thin, last playoffs Barkov was on their second line.   Just like EP is now. 

He's the best comp for sure, but play completely different games.   And i'd have to admit with no rose glasses, at the same cap hit, i'd be over the moon if EP has the same impact Barkov has had on Florida from age 25 and on.    Barkov reminds me a little of Jagr as far as how hard it is to take off the puck once he has it.    Legs like sequoia's, and produces consistent regular offense regardless of whom he's playing with.      Agree with the tax stuff and the 5% cap going up,  EP actually left some money on the table as far as take home goes.   10.5 makes more then 11.6, way of the NHL hockey universe.  

The time to start getting concerned is next season.     He sure doesn't look or play like LE did. 

As far as best all around C right now?  That's either Miller or Barkov (power forward verus 2-way...suppose it's pick your poison..Aho isn't a bad choice either, EPs fallen too far the second half IMO).    If you're not PKing, probably shouldn't be in the running either. 

Even at 36 Kopitar is probably in the top 5 most complete centers in the game (and maybe top 3). I also think Zibanejad's defensive game is highly underrated.

Eriksson Ek seems to be starting to find more offense now as well and could start to be considered as one of the top 10. He's definitely one of the top defensive centers in the game. The Selke this year will be interesting, not sure who will win it.

• Cheers 1