[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

Do all of the people here worried about EP and his next contract just not watch him play?

He contributes in every game he plays whether it's on the scoreboard or not. And as to him needing to be a top player in the points department, there are only 8 players that have more points than EP over the last 2 seasons. 

This is also the player that took his team and put them on his back while he rewrote the record book in the 3rd best league in the world, won the league championship and literally ever other award he was eligible for, all at the age of 19

Elias Pettersson #40 will be just fine

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is a complete centre. The best all around centre in the NHL. 

He’s a 90-100 point player. Over 50% in the faceoff circle. Plays in all situations. Has 120 hits. Is elite defensively. 

His only comparable is Barkov who signed his contract almost 3 years ago and plays in Florida with no state taxes. 

In 2-3 years when McDavid is making $16 million, $11.6 million will look like a bargain for Petey. 

Maybe we should start by asking whether he's even currently the best all-around center on his team...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

Maybe we should start by asking whether he's even currently the best all-around center on his team...

At this moment, JT. But that's not how contracts work. You pay for future predictions of the player and cap. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You say that like it's some type of a negative for Petey.  If JT is better than that means he is one of the best all around centres in the NHL.  Saying that Petey is not even the best on his own team is trying to downplay Petey which is your typical MO on here.  Even if JT was better that still puts BOTH of them in the top 5 all around centres in the NHL.

Also, where was JT Miller ranked when he was 25?  Part of Petey's contract has to do with his age and future potential.  Anyone who follows hockey would know this.  You don't pay a 25 year old max dollars simply for what they are doing now.  It's an 8 year deal.  Which will run through Petey's entire prime years...

You said

"Pettersson is a complete center. The best all around center in the NHL."

I take that to mean present tense. Am I reading it incorrectly?

I'm simply asking you to back up your claim. How do you measure all-aroundness? What exactly makes him a better all-around center than Miller, let alone every other center in the NHL?

Edited by 43isprime
Grammar

14 hours ago, Rekker said:

At this moment, JT. But that's not how contracts work. You pay for future predictions of the player and cap. 

Okay, so then, no, Pettersson is not "the best all around center in the NHL"?

21 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Okay, so then, no, Pettersson is not "the best all around center in the NHL"?

What’s Petey’s cap allocation for this current season? His next contract doesn’t start until next season, no? 
So his play on his current contract is a win for the club, right? He’s currently a value player. 
JR knows what is needed to win the Cup. He knows he needs Miller (signed) and Petey (signed). 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 43isprime said:

You said

"Pettersson is a complete center. The best all around center in the NHL."

I take that to mean present tense. Am I reading it incorrectly?

I'm simply asking you to back up your claim. How do you measure all-aroundness? What exactly makes him a better all-around center than Miller, let alone every other center in the NHL?

I’ve already revised my statement to say he’s right this second in the top 5 best all around centres in the NHL

and I’ll stick to that. He was better than Miller last year but I don’t recall you coming on to this board and claiming otherwise. 

Being the best is a fluid situatin. What is your definition of present?  Today?  So the last game doesn’t count then?  If Petey is better than Miller in tonight’s game does that make him presently better?  

Also, what makes Miller a better all around centre than Petey?  What makes every other centre better than Petey?  It works both ways. What metrics are you using to justify your claim?  

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In regard to JT Miller, where was he last year at 29 years old?  82 points and a -7. Petey at 24 was at 102 points and a +16. Petey was by far the better player last year. 

Petey is obviously having a worse year than last year. But it’s still his second best year ever and it’s still miles ahead of Miller when he was 25 years old. 

I don't like the Petey vs JT comparison, as they play a completely different style of game.  Miller is noticed

every time he steps on the ice, with his ability to score a clutch goal or even drive the team to greater

competition is very real.  His physical force (power forward) is known to take a longer developmental time,

which we can see in his years prior to Vancouver.  Also, Tocc's influence has been huge.

On the other hand, Petey's game is more refined, although his concentration on developing the

defensive aspects of his game and faceoff %s is admirable.  EP had a solid start to the season

and I recall seeing some very impressive goals, assists, passing and puck movement.  At some

point there was a slump (for whatever reason), but more recently he appears to be returning

to form.  Reviewing the top 20 Centers in the NHL, the best on the list are in the 27-29yr range

and the players in Petey's age group (or younger) are below him in placement; other than Hughes,

who is questionably better.  EP is the best C in his draft year, by far.  By the time he reaches

his prime, I have no doubt his contract will be considered a bargain.

People may not approve of these ratings, but it is a good list to compare the players' stats,

developmental years and age.  Imo, Petey is where he should be, as I suspect the list was

created before his slump started.

https://www.nhlratings.net/lists/centers

*Also, I think that a slash to the hand/wrist should be called more regularly, or maybe even

be a 4min penalty.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’ve already revised my statement to say he’s right this second in the top 5 best all around centres in the NHL

and I’ll stick to that. He was better than Miller last year but I don’t recall you coming on to this board and claiming otherwise. 

Being the best is a fluid situatin. What is your definition of present?  Today?  So the last game doesn’t count then?  If Petey is better than Miller in tonight’s game does that make him presently better?  

Also, what makes Miller a better all around centre than Petey?  What makes every other centre better than Petey?  It works both ways. What metrics are you using to justify your claim?  

I didn't make any claims. I simply questioned your claim that "Pettersson is the best all around center in the NHL". Since I found that to be a pretty ambitious statement, I figured I'd ask you to first show that he's the best all around center on his own team. At least this way, we'd be comparing him to centers we know well instead of ones that we might watch only a few times a year.

To support your claim that he's a top 5 all around center in the NHL, can you give us your metrics that you used to arrive at this claim? How often do you watch the games of all the other centers in the NHL?

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

I didn't make any claims. I simply questioned your claim that "Pettersson is the best all around center in the NHL". Since I found that to be a pretty ambitious statement, I figured I'd ask you to first show that he's the best all around center on his own team. At least this way, we'd be comparing him to centers we know well instead of ones that we might watch only a few times a year.

To support your claim that he's a top 5 all around center in the NHL, can you give us your metrics that you used to arrive at this claim? How often do you watch the games of all the other centers in the NHL?

An all around centre is a centre who can do it all.  If you can’t kill penalties then you are immediately eliminated from the group.  Selke trophy candidates are the ones who are the most well rounded.  Last year, Petey finished 7th in Selke voting and 6th for centres.  Out of those 6 centres, Petey was by far the best offensive player of the group with 102 points.  The next closest centre was Nico Hischier with 80 points.  So basically Petey was the most well rounded and best all around centre last year.  His only competitors were Barkov and Hischier. And he statistically had much better seasons than both.  JT Miller only had 82 points last year and only received 1 Selke vote, Petey had 163 votes.  So it wasn’t even close between the two.

This season, Petey has regressed in regard to his points, however he is still on pace for 90+ points.  He has however greatly improved his faceoffs, to the point where Tocchet uses him even late in games.  He is over 50% on the dot for the first time in his career.  In order to win the Selke, you need to be a 50% faceoff guy, so Petey has hit that target.  Also, he is involved more physically in each game, more than doubling his hits from last season.  He is actually more well rounded this season than he was last season.  I believe a reason for his point regression is that he is focusing more on the defensive game. 

As for who are the best all around centres this season, you can eliminate any centre that doesn’t penalty kill.  So McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Point, Draisaitl are all out.  That leaves in no particular order, Matthews, Miller, Pettersson, Aho, Thomas, Barkov, Suzuki.

Matthews, Miller, Pettersson, Barkov, Aho, Suzuki and Thomas are therefore the top 7 all around centres in the NHL.  I would put Petey ahead of Aho, Suzuki and Thomas, so he would finish 4th on my list.

Honourable mention to Hischier, Hintz, Eriksson Ek and Kopitar…

I don’t need to watch every game as I’m not a scout.  And neither are you.  So now you can give me your list and the reasons why you think they are the top all around centres in the NHL.  And if you come back with only questions then don’t even bother responding because I’m not interested in answering any more of your questions.  You either need to put up or shut up at this point in regard to this discussion.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't like the Petey vs JT comparison, as they play a completely different style of game.  Miller is noticed

every time he steps on the ice, with his ability to score a clutch goal or even drive the team to greater

competition is very real.  His physical force (power forward) is known to take a longer developmental time,

which we can see in his years prior to Vancouver.  Also, Tocc's influence has been huge.

On the other hand, Petey's game is more refined, although his concentration on developing the

defensive aspects of his game and faceoff %s is admirable.  EP had a solid start to the season

and I recall seeing some very impressive goals, assists, passing and puck movement.  At some

point there was a slump (for whatever reason), but more recently he appears to be returning

to form.  Reviewing the top 20 Centers in the NHL, the best on the list are in the 27-29yr range

and the players in Petey's age group (or younger) are below him in placement; other than Hughes,

who is questionably better.  EP is the best C in his draft year, by far.  By the time he reaches

his prime, I have no doubt his contract will be considered a bargain.

People may not approve of these ratings, but it is a good list to compare the players' stats,

developmental years and age.  Imo, Petey is where he should be, as I suspect the list was

created before his slump started.

https://www.nhlratings.net/lists/centers

*Also, I think that a slash to the hand/wrist should be called more regularly, or maybe even

be a 4min penalty.

I may have missed something, but I have an issue with a list of top 100Cs where Miller isn't featured while Lindhom, Hubedeau, Kadri, Horvet etc feature...

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I may have missed something, but I have an issue with a list of top 100Cs where Miller isn't featured while Lindhom, Hubedeau, Kadri, Horvet etc feature...

I think the NHL still views Miller as a LW.  Regardless, my post was about EP, so it didn't matter to me

that JT wasn't on the list. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

An all around centre is a centre who can do it all.  If you can’t kill penalties then you are immediately eliminated from the group.  Selke trophy candidates are the ones who are the most well rounded.  Last year, Petey finished 7th in Selke voting and 6th for centres.  Out of those 6 centres, Petey was by far the best offensive player of the group with 102 points.  The next closest centre was Nico Hischier with 80 points.  So basically Petey was the most well rounded and best all around centre last year.  His only competitors were Barkov and Hischier. And he statistically had much better seasons than both.  JT Miller only had 82 points last year and only received 1 Selke vote, Petey had 163 votes.  So it wasn’t even close between the two.

This season, Petey has regressed in regard to his points, however he is still on pace for 90+ points.  He has however greatly improved his faceoffs, to the point where Tocchet uses him even late in games.  He is over 50% on the dot for the first time in his career.  In order to win the Selke, you need to be a 50% faceoff guy, so Petey has hit that target.  Also, he is involved more physically in each game, more than doubling his hits from last season.  He is actually more well rounded this season than he was last season.  I believe a reason for his point regression is that he is focusing more on the defensive game. 

As for who are the best all around centres this season, you can eliminate any centre that doesn’t penalty kill.  So McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Point, Draisaitl are all out.  That leaves in no particular order, Matthews, Miller, Pettersson, Aho, Thomas, Barkov, Suzuki.

Matthews, Miller, Pettersson, Barkov, Aho, Suzuki and Thomas are therefore the top 7 all around centres in the NHL.  I would put Petey ahead of Aho, Suzuki and Thomas, so he would finish 4th on my list.

I don’t need to watch every game as I’m not a scout.  And neither are you.  So now you can give me your list and the reasons why you think they are the top all around centres in the NHL.  And if you come back with only questions then don’t even bother responding because I’m not interested in answering any more of your questions.  You either need to put up or shut up at this point in regard to this discussion.  

You should probably remove Crosby from your "out" list. Yes, he doesn't get utilized on the PK but that doesn't mean he can't play a strong defensive or match-up game when he has too. He was definitely more one-dimensional when younger but he is quite well-rounded now. He was just voted "Most Complete Player" in the player's poll over Barkov and Kopitar for a reason.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think the NHL still views Miller as a LW.  Regardless, my post was about EP, so it didn't matter to me

that JT wasn't on the list. 

Ok, that makes sense...

I do realise that its about Petey, and how highly he is respected, I just thought it was odd that Miller was nowhere to be seen.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

JT is so underrated in the media outside of Van. It's ridiculous. A 100 point center who kills it on the draw, drops the mitts if need be, PK, PP. Frig, JT is a stud hockey player. Edit, I see they list JT at left wing. Doesn't matter, still a stud. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rekker said:

JT is so underrated in the media outside of Van. It's ridiculous. A 100 point center who kills it on the draw, drops the mitts if need be, PK, PP. Frig, JT is a stud hockey player. Edit, I see they list JT at left wing. Doesn't matter, still a stud. 

Miller is listed as a C. 18th on the Canucks, an 80 overall rating...

Not sure if he got mis-rated by mistake or if they literally have no idea who he is.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Not sure if he got mis-rated by mistake or if they literally have no idea who he is.

Lol. That means on average there are two centers on every team they rate better than JT. Lol. This will probably just fire him up even more.

16 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Lol. That means on average there are two centers on every team they rate better than JT. Lol. This will probably just fire him up even more.

JT Miller's biggest issue is his name.  Miller is too common of a surname.  If his name was JT Bretzky, he'd get more likes. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

JT Miller's biggest issue is his name.  Miller is too common of a surname.  If his name was JT Bretzky, he'd get more likes. 

Even better, if he was a Leaf

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure how you manage to write Selke is every post you talk about Pettersson. He received 0x 1st place votes, "6" 2nd place votes out of 196 voters. 6, lol, 2nd place votes! Hes far from top of the league in takeaway or blocked shots. A Selke winner falls down every 3-4 shifts and has a career FO% of 45%? And not a very good skater? The opposing teams sure do scream oh crap their top line is getting shutdown by Pettersson and they sure do have trouble scoring against us. Just because you write Selke every day, doesn't make Pettersson a defensive genius in the NHL. 

MacKinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Miller, Crosby. At least 5 centers better than Pettersson this season. 

I’m a big fan of this contract. For everyone complaining, wait until next year to compare him against the 11 million, that is not his current contract. He is currently far outperforming his current contract, and I’m sure he will continue to outperform his next one too.