[Trade] Dallas Stars acquire Chris Tanev (50% retained by CGY, 25% retained by NJD) and Cole Brady for Artem Grushnikov, 2024 2nd round pick, conditional 3rd round pick

Just now, ronning4center said:

Hmm 50 percent retained.  We could have matched this for sure.   I wonder why we passed.

Would you give up say Raty, a 2nd, and a 3rd?

I wouldn’t. We need to spend assets to upgrade the top 6. 

All we need on D is a veteran D for depth.

• Cheers 1

A 2nd rounder, a decent prospect drafted in the 2nd round (Someone like Raty on our team), and a 3rd round pick (condition being if they make it to the Stanley Cup Finals). Not so sure we actually could have matched this. Didn't management say they were getting a little hesitant to put more assets into rentals? It's also why we want a Petey deal done sooner rather than later. So we can find out what we want to do with moves more aimed at the future.

Just now, mmkk said:

Glad we passed on Tanev. Too much mileage and injury prone. 

Great shutdown guy and pker but I’ve liked how we’ve valued size and nastiness on D.

We saw what happened against a bigger Vegas team when Tanev was our go to shutdown guy.

Big mobile D need to be the target. Someone like Edmundson.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Hmm 50 percent retained.  We could have matched this for sure.   I wonder why we passed.

hughes

hronek

cole

myers

soucy

zadorov

Add tanev that is 7. Someone has to sit.

That's why we didn't go after him.

We can add elsewhere on fwd without having to bench a good player

• Cheers 1

For a team drafting as well as Dallas, that's actually a lot of valuable draft capital they gave up (looks like the hit another jackpot with Stankoven who's a second round pick).

I know we all want Tanev but I wouldn't pay that much for him. Let's wait for the offseason. The only thing is I wish he was traded to the east.

23 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

hughes

hronek

cole

myers

soucy

zadorov

Add tanev that is 7. Someone has to sit.

That's why we didn't go after him.

We can add elsewhere on fwd without having to bench a good player

how far down the depth chart was tanev when he made his NHL playoff* debut in the 2011 stanley cup final?

*edit

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tas said:

how far down the depth chart was tanev when he made his NHL playoff* debut in the 2011 stanley cup final?

*edit

He was a rookie/farm call up.  

Not even #8 on the NHL program book. 

PXL_20240210_085730410.jpg

Edited by Jaimito

Just now, Jaimito said:

He was a rookie. 

Not even #8 on the NHL program book. 

PXL_20240210_085730410.jpg

it was rhetorical. 😋

somewhere in the 9-11 range by my math. the point I was going for was "7 ain't enough."

• Cheers 1

good news for us, he likely will not resign in dallas, he might have in Toronto or Ottawa but now he will most likely hit uf agency and can likely sign with us

boy oh boy does Lindy not look like a 9 million dollar player, he does not even look like a 6 million dollar player, changing places mid season is hard, just as Bo... Bo knows

7 minutes ago, tas said:

y-yes?

Lol.  You really need me to lead you through this? 

Can't spend money to add a 7th D and sit a regular D out, when you could spend that money to add a fwd who plays.

Ok

If you need any more help let me know partner.

Edited by fanfor42

So basically two 2nds for Tanev at 1M, that's a great deal by Dallas. They suddenly become a team to watch, this is a huge playoff trade, we should have been all over this after seeing how shaky we've been since the All star break but Dallas beat us to it.