[Trade] Dallas Stars acquire Chris Tanev (50% retained by CGY, 25% retained by NJD) and Cole Brady for Artem Grushnikov, 2024 2nd round pick, conditional 3rd round pick

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah it didn't seem like a huge get by Calgary but I doubt Vancouver has the assets to match this offer since the team is quite thin on future assets. 

Calgary got a young version of tanev, plus a 2nd and (maybe) a third........for an aging dman on an expiring deal.  I think CC is pretty happy with that

• Cheers 1

One surprise is that Jersey is eating cap when they are close to the playoff bar.  I wonder if they have just determined it isn’t their year and will sell assets, or figure they are just good enough to stand pat and let the chips fall where they may…. So didn’t need the extra cap space.

When I have posted about Canucks playoff odds being low, it is when they are between 15-20% chance.  That is right where Jersey is now.  Without much runway left in the season, it is hard to catch up even a very few points.  You have to significantly outplay the teams ahead of you, and also the ones right in the pack around you.

It is super unusual for a GM to have the proper outlook and not chase a likely futile run at the expense of future success.

They have a great future ahead of them, so it this year likely isn’t your year, securing assets is the way to go.  That would be brave though as lots of people would falsely believe they are closer than they are.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Craig Conroy is looking more and more like a competent GM and it's making me a bit uneasy.  It also makes Brad Treliving look like a complete buffoon.

Yup, theyve collected quite a bit of assets, PLUS a haul incoming from a Markstrom trade. Conroy is bound to get a nice player from those picks just from sheer quantity

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

We already have our good D trade when Soucy returns, it's like a good add to bolster the D.

now we absolutly need a top 6. Toffoli  would be a good candidate. 

Sean Durzi would be a nice pickup. Probably would cost us a 2nd and a B-level prospect or Podkolzin straight up. Kind of player thats in the same age as the core, and would lock up for a few years. RHD shot too

Edited by filthy animal

3 hours ago, KFAN said:

I'm just so glad Canucks management didn't go after Tanev. I loved the guy, but he's nearing the end of his career, and the Canucks are a building for the future team. I wish Tanev all the best and will always remember his contribution to the Canucks. 

I had a bad feeling that if we did trade for him that he would get injured and either miss time or play through it at a reduced capacity.

I'd rather spend the assets on a younger player preferably one with term at a lower cap hit.

Heiskanen - Tanev

Harley - Hakanpaa

Lindell - Lundkvist

Suter

Pushing Suter off the depth chart is massive, he's old and playing almost 20 minutes but now they can rotate him in and out. They desperately needed a shutdown RD and Tanev fits perfectly, and they didn't give up a first which is crazy. Perfect fit, perfect trade for Dallas.

I still don't think their defence is quite tough enough for the playoffs compared to say the Canucks or Vegas but Tanev brings them a lot closer and really brings that team up a lot. One more depth forward trade and you've got to consider them contenders though.

2 hours ago, tequila said:

I don't understand why did Devils accept their part of the trade.

Is a high 4th round pick worth $2.25M?

I dont think your math is right.  

18m for 4 years.  Is 4.5m

25 percent of that is 1.125m

Then 20 or 21 games is like 281k or something like that.  25 percent of expiring wasn't much.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

I dont think your math is right.  

18m for 4 years.  Is 4.5m

25 percent of that is 1.125m

Then 20 or 21 games is like 281k or something like that.  25 percent of expiring wasn't much.  

According to Nhl.com Devils took 50% of his salary.
But you're right about games left.

9 hours ago, 24K said:

That doesn't feel like a lot for the hype Tanev was getting and with that retention rate.  

PA must be cooking something bigger if we can't match that. 

Well, you want Petey out of the Canucks and if so it’s much bigger… 😂

35 minutes ago, tequila said:

From what I understand, they took on 50% of what Calgary is retaining so it should be about 25% of whatever is remaining in his salary.

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

No.  Definitely not a bust.  Not yet at least.  Just a defensive defenceman who is quietly developing his game.  

Grushnikov definitely isn't a bust yet, but he also hasn't done as well as hoped for a 2nd rounder. He's probably worth more like a 3rd or 4th at this point.

But decent return for Calgary here, while at the same time being a good deal for Dallas. I wondered about Conroy after it looked like we schooled him in the Zadorov trade, but he has made some solid deals since.

3 hours ago, tequila said:

I thought the Flames retained 50% and then the Devils took 50% of the remaining (effectively 25.% of his full salary).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Grushnikov definitely isn't a bust yet, but he also hasn't done as well as hoped for a 2nd rounder. He's probably worth more like a 3rd or 4th at this point.

But decent return for Calgary here, while at the same time being a good deal for Dallas. I wondered about Conroy after it looked like we schooled him in the Zadorov trade, but he has made some solid deals since.

Sounds like he's having a solid year in the ahl, projecting to be very much like tanev  was in his younger days