[Trade] Dallas Stars acquire Chris Tanev (50% retained by CGY, 25% retained by NJD) and Cole Brady for Artem Grushnikov, 2024 2nd round pick, conditional 3rd round pick

Yeah, that was a journey!

50% retention by the Flames, then another 50% retention by the Devils on what was left. Picks and players all over. Hopefully no one goes to the wrong city out of it all.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

50% retention by the Flames, then another 50% retention by the Devils on what was left. Picks and players all over. Hopefully no one goes to the wrong city out of it all.

They all end up in Poughkeepsie. 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Conflicting reports, but that post cannot be right.  You can't have other teams retain 100% salary like that.  The limit should be 75%.  I think it was actually NJD retaining 50% and CGY 25%.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Conflicting reports, but that post cannot be right.  You can't have other teams retain 100% salary like that.  The limit should be 75%.  I think it was actually NJD retaining 50% and CGY 25%.

Calgary retained 50% when Tanev was traded to NJ.  NJ retained 50% of the remaining (already halved) contract when traded to Dallas.  That makes 75% of his original contract being retained.  Not 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Pfffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt

"Despite love for Flames, Tanev believes Stars have 'best opportunity to win'"

Hmmmm...I dunno.

I mean REALLY what else is he gonna say? "The Stars were my 3rd choice" LOL

That central division is gonna be tough to get out of. As it stands right now they would have to go through the Avs & Jets....no easy task.

Not saying the Pacific is any better mind you, fact is there are probably 6 legit teams that could come outta the western conference. 

Which is kinda why I'm leary of trading away to many of our picks and prospects in pursuit of another big acquistion...Im looking at you Guentzel.    

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1

Tanev was a good acquisition for Dallas, especially at what the cost ended up being. Buffs up an already good defense and gives Dallas better injury coverage.

Ultimately I think Dallas's playoff hopes will still come down to Oettinger. Oettinger has had a very inconsistent season but has shown in the past he can step up when it matters. Dallas really needs him to find his game before playoffs start if they want to make a deep run.

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Tanev was a good acquisition for Dallas, especially at what the cost ended up being. Buffs up an already good defense and gives Dallas better injury coverage.

Ultimately I think Dallas's playoff hopes will still come down to Oettinger. Oettinger has had a very inconsistent season but has shown in the past he can step up when it matters. Dallas really needs him to find his game before playoffs start if they want to make a deep run.

Dallas is scoring at a pace similar to us. All they need is good, consistent goaltending and they should be one of the favorites. They are the team I am most scared of honestly.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1