Vaccine thread

Gurn

Know this isn't just about Covid, but I thought this is some good news.  Likely due to a combination of better treatment, more immunity due to previous infection/vaccination, and mutation of the virus leading to milder versions.

Numerous studies have shown a significant decrease in long Covid rates between 2022 and early this year.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-covid-rates-appear-to-be-decreasing/

Long COVID Rates Appear to Be Decreasing

Here’s why Long COVID may be declining and what we know about the trend so far

18 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I can understand hesitancy at the beginning.  Like early 2021.  We've now passed the 3 year anniversary of the initial approval of the covid vaccines.  In a matter of weeks it will be the 3 year anniversary for those vaccines being administered to millions of people.  The data is in.  Like orders of magnitude greater amounts of data than any long term/longitudinal study for any medicine/vaccine in the past has ever had.  We are talking population level monitoring, like the UK does for the AstraZeneca covid vaccine (not mRNA).  

Most Phase 3 trials have between a few hundred to a few thousand participants.  The Covid vaccines had tens of thousands.  Pfizer had over 40,000 participants.  Moderna and AstraZeneca had over 30,000.  

The data is in.  mRNA vaccines/treatments are here to stay and are safe.  I posted earlier in this thread about the more effective mRNA flu vaccine that recently passed its Phase 3 trial and will likely be available next fall.  There are also numerous other mRNA vaccines/treatments in Phase 0 - 3 right now.

The n=___ isn't the problem. There are obviously millions of people who have taken multiple doses, some who are seemingly fine, a few that experienced side effects (which can happen with any vaccine or treatment for that matter, obviously the anti vax crowd clings to this).

Like you said, it's only been 3 years. No 5, 10, 20 year studies. What will be the long term effects on developing children and teens, if any, who took a particular vaccine? We don't know, despite millions of people (billions?) being administered the shot. Obviously, we didn't have that luxury given the circumstances. This is all to say that I understand that argument and it does have some merit imo.

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The n=___ isn't the problem. There are obviously millions of people who have taken multiple doses, some who are seemingly fine, a few that experienced side effects (which can happen with any vaccine or treatment for that matter, obviously the anti vax crowd clings to this).

Like you said, it's only been 3 years. No 5, 10, 20 year studies. What will be the long term effects on developing children and teens, if any, who took a particular vaccine? We don't know, despite millions of people (billions?) being administered the shot. Obviously, we didn't have that luxury given the circumstances. This is all to say that I understand that argument and it does have some merit imo.

The long term effects of the Covid vaccines is more people are getting to live longer term. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

mRNA vaccines for other diseases have not had long term issues like this

https://immunizebc.ca/ask-us/questions/are-there-long-term-side-effects-caused-mrna-covid-19-vaccines

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

No 100 year studies.   Do I get a thousand?  /s obviously.

Every medication had/has this same issue.  We don't go through the process of approving a medication, then not give it.  The medication gets approved, is given to the public, then we study it over time.  

And yes, there are long lists of medications that then got removed because of long term study.   I'm at a loss at which vaccines are on that list.  We sorta got close with the MMR vaccine, but it turns out the study that started the whole autism thing was a fraud.

Edit:   It's called post-market safety monitoring.  

https://www.fda.gov/patients/learn-about-drug-and-device-approvals/drug-development-process

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Cheers 4

22 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I can understand hesitancy at the beginning.  Like early 2021.  We've now passed the 3 year anniversary of the initial approval of the covid vaccines.  In a matter of weeks it will be the 3 year anniversary for those vaccines being administered to millions of people.  The data is in.  Like orders of magnitude greater amounts of data than any long term/longitudinal study for any medicine/vaccine in the past has ever had.  We are talking population level monitoring, like the UK does for the AstraZeneca covid vaccine (not mRNA).  

Most Phase 3 trials have between a few hundred to a few thousand participants.  The Covid vaccines had tens of thousands.  Pfizer had over 40,000 participants.  Moderna and AstraZeneca had over 30,000.  

The data is in.  mRNA vaccines/treatments are here to stay and are safe.  I posted earlier in this thread about the more effective mRNA flu vaccine that recently passed its Phase 3 trial and will likely be available next fall.  There are also numerous other mRNA vaccines/treatments in Phase 0 - 3 right now.

I'm really excited about this one:

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/mrna-vaccines-to-treat-cancer

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

It looks like your lord and savior Anthony Fauci's pants are on fire about COVID's origin... 

I'm just busting your guy's chops because I like to sh*t stir sometimes, but seriously, take your pick on who to read and form your own opinions as to the story.  The main US news media didn't report on it. 

The MSN article (SotU licensed and written by them) is the shortest and only covers the alleged lie in fairly shallow detail.  The Daily Mail one is decently detailed on some of Dr. Kadlec's story. The others cover the alleged lie and various other things that Dr. Kadlec (recently retired high ranking US Dept. of Health employee) revealed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12796725/us-health-official-fauci-lab-leak-theory.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-scientist-who-helped-fauci-discredit-the-lab-leak-theory-is-now-speaking-out/ar-AA1l0b05?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc842fd28494421f9ff50f6832f8740f&ei=72

https://nypost.com/2023/11/28/news/former-white-house-official-says-its-certainly-possible-china-killed-researcher-who-started-covid-pandemic/

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/us-department-of-health-official-who-conspired-with-anthony-fauci-to-downplay-covid-lableak-theory-reveals-agonising-over-his-actions/news-story/f568f544d4b5eb05fb26dc3e198f50ae

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It looks like your lord and savior Anthony Fauci's pants are on fire about COVID's origin... 

I'm just busting your guy's chops because I like to sh*t stir sometimes, but seriously, take your pick on who to read and form your own opinions as to the story.  The main US news media didn't report on it. 

The MSN article (SotU licensed and written by them) is the shortest and only covers the alleged lie in fairly shallow detail.  The Daily Mail one is decently detailed on some of Dr. Kadlec's story. The others cover the alleged lie and various other things that Dr. Kadlec (recently retired high ranking US Dept. of Health employee) revealed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12796725/us-health-official-fauci-lab-leak-theory.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-scientist-who-helped-fauci-discredit-the-lab-leak-theory-is-now-speaking-out/ar-AA1l0b05?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc842fd28494421f9ff50f6832f8740f&ei=72

https://nypost.com/2023/11/28/news/former-white-house-official-says-its-certainly-possible-china-killed-researcher-who-started-covid-pandemic/

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/us-department-of-health-official-who-conspired-with-anthony-fauci-to-downplay-covid-lableak-theory-reveals-agonising-over-his-actions/news-story/f568f544d4b5eb05fb26dc3e198f50ae

I think you might want to vet your sources. Dailymail, NYpost and Skynews are all obvious, but I clicked on the MSN link just to see. The article is from a publication called State of the Union.org, which I can't really find any information on....

That being said the State of the Union article is quoting a doctor who's statements should probably be taken with a grain of salt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kadlec

In April 2020, Kadlec demoted federal scientist Rick Bright, removing him from his position as head of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and reassigning him to a lower post at the National Institutes of Health. The following month, Bright filed a wide-ranging whistleblower complaint against Kadlec and several Trump administration officials.[10][9] Bright asserted that Kadlec ousted him in retaliation for his "insistence" that the federal government focus resources on "safe and scientifically vetted solutions" against the COVID-19 pandemic rather than "technologies that lack scientific merit" such as the use of hydroxychloroquine, which had been pushed by the Trump administration.[9] Bright also alleged that in January 2020, Kadlec had delayed acting to obtain face masks, testing swabs, and other materials for which there was later a shortage.[9] Supporters of Bright and supporters of Kadlec each accused the other "of preferential treatment for favored contractors and inappropriate spending decisions."[9] HHS denied that Bright had been retaliated against, but the Office of Special Counsel recommended Bright's reinstatement as BARDA chief,[9][10] finding a "substantial likelihood of wrongdoing" in his ouster.[10]

Before being appointed by Trump as Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response in 2017, Kadlec previously was a consultant for Emergent BioSolutions, a U.S. biotechnology company, and was part-owner of a consulting company related to its founder; he did not disclose these facts in Senate nomination forms during his 2017 confirmation process.[14] According to HHS, Kadlec may not have realized that his involvement in the start-up could be characterized as one of employment. Kadlec's company RPK Consulting had provided consulting services to Emergent until 2015.[15] Soon after taking office, Kadlec pushed to increase the government's stockpile of smallpox vaccine from Emergent BioSolutions, and HHS ultimately awarded a 10-year, $2.8 billion single-source contract to the company to purchase its smallpox vaccines at twice the previous price.[14][16] While renewal of the contract was initially sought on modest terms, Kadlec's office finalized the deal with double the term length (10 years instead of 5 years) and double the number of doses per year (to 18 million). This raised concerns about a potential conflict of interest.[9][14]

After 15 million Janssen COVID-19 vaccines were ruined due to an error by Emergent BioSolutions (who held a contract to manufacture the vaccines at a Baltimore production facility), a congressional investigation was launched "into whether Emergent used ties to the Trump administration to get billions of dollars in federal contracts despite a history of failing to complete contracts" as well as concerns about "inadequate staff training, persistent quality-control issues, and the company's 'unjustified' 800% price increase for an anthrax vaccine" purchased by the government.[17][15] The inquiry, launched by the Democratic chairs of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform and Select Oversight Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, focused in part on Kadlec's role; in a letter, the chairs of the committee wrote that Kadlec "appears to have pushed for" the $628 million award to Emergent to develop the factory "despite indications that Emergent did not have the ability to reliably fulfill the contract."[17][15] The inquiry was not pursued any further.

While their isn't any real "smoking gun" here, it sure looks to me like this guy was a typical Trump enabler and possibly used his position for personal gain.

I think I'll take the word of "pants on fire" Fauci over this guy....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's like fan fiction now, people just write their own covid origin stories.

I don't see how it matters, China would never admit it came from a lab, and if it came from natural sources they still try to deny it. 

And say you could prove the lab theory? Still nothing changes.

Doesn't matter, it arrived.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It's like fan fiction now, people just write their own covid origin stories.

I don't see how it matters, China would never admit it came from a lab, and if it came from natural sources they still try to deny it. 

And say you could prove the lab theory? Still nothing changes.

Doesn't matter, it arrived.

Sad, but true.  You nailed it in one try.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think you might want to vet your sources. Dailymail, NYpost and Skynews are all obvious, but I clicked on the MSN link just to see. The article is from a publication called State of the Union.org, which I can't really find any information on....

That being said the State of the Union article is quoting a doctor who's statements should probably be taken with a grain of salt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kadlec

While their isn't any real "smoking gun" here, it sure looks to me like this guy was a typical Trump enabler and possibly used his position for personal gain.

I think I'll take the word of "pants on fire" Fauci over this guy....

To me it's a story because Kadlec is held in high regard in the medical community.  I have zero doubt that it came out of the Chinese labs, and the funding of that particular research was on both Obama and Trump.  Since we're still funding that kind of crap, if something else escapes, that will be on Biden and whoever succeeds him.

As for the publications, I had to stop because any more links would have been obnoxious.  I only just recently discovered SotU.  They aren't polished and it looks like they are run on a small budget since the quality of their writers is all over.  Some are good, and others like the one who posted this story, write like they are making a blog entry.  Still informative though not enough meat.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

To me it's a story because Kadlec is held in high regard in the medical community.  I have zero doubt that it came out of the Chinese labs, and the funding of that particular research was on both Obama and Trump.  Since we're still funding that kind of crap, if something else escapes, that will be on Biden and whoever succeeds him.

As for the publications, I had to stop because any more links would have been obnoxious.  I only just recently discovered SotU.  They aren't polished and it looks like they are run on a small budget since the quality of their writers is all over.  Some are good, and others like the one who posted this story, write like they are making a blog entry.  Still informative though not enough meat.

I'll take your word for it on Kadlec, but if he was pushing the benefits of Hydroxychloroquine, I'd say that high regard is misplaced.

As far as your lab leak assertion, I'd say there is plenty of doubt. It certainly could have happened that way, but I believe it also could have happened because of the wet market, as it seems to be the consensus that coronavirus types can be carried by animals, as was the case with SARS.

I also disagree with your characterization of Fauci as a liar. I believe he's a victim of a smear campaign, promoted by vaccine skeptics (like Rand Paul and many of his GQP colleagues) and I believe that if not for his efforts, a lot more Americans would have died during the pandemic. YMMV.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'll take your word for it on Kadlec, but if he was pushing the benefits of Hydroxychloroquine, I'd say that high regard is misplaced.

As far as your lab leak assertion, I'd say there is plenty of doubt. It certainly could have happened that way, but I believe it also could have happened because of the wet market, as it seems to be the consensus that coronavirus types can be carried by animals, as was the case with SARS.

I also disagree with your characterization of Fauci as a liar. I believe he's a victim of a smear campaign, promoted by vaccine skeptics (like Rand Paul and many of his GQP colleagues) and I believe that if not for his efforts, a lot more Americans would have died during the pandemic. YMMV.

Yeah, hard to take someone seriously who states, " I have zero doubt that it came out of the Chinese labs", about something that they could not possibly know.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

All possible, I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

To be transparent though, I knew who Fauci was before COVID because he kept the practice of testing on animals going in all but the least complex tests done under his purview even when it was unnecessary.  There were whistle blowers pre-COVID on that as well. 

These labs are in numerous places.  Studying viruses is important.  So yes we should be funding research.

Thing is, the lab at the centre of the lab leak "theory" wasn't a top secret lab.  It was a lab that got/gets its funding directly from Chinese taxpayers or through 3rd party organizations.  To get said funding, the lab would have written up proposals.  Those proposals can be extremely detailed, right down to the types of equipment that will be used.  After getting the funding, the research has to be done.  Changing the how or what your researching has to be documented.  Then you have to publish your findings.

In all of this, you have to explain how and what you do.  This lab would have an extensive published record from prior to fall 2019 about what was being researched.  How they were doing their research.

The question becomes, could any of this research that they were doing DIRECTLY lead to the virus responsible for this pandemic?  That is answered by answering these two questions:

1) Were they doing research on coronaviruses that are molecularly the same as this virus?  The published record says not really.

2) Were they performing manipulations of coronaviruses that result in a virus that has zero molecular fingerprints of said manipulations?  Again, the published record says not really.

Answer these two questions with actual evidence, and then the lab leak has been proven.  Saying we have no evidence because CONSPIRACY is just admitting you don't have the goods and proves nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My sister caught Covid for the 1st time.

She is pretty sick.

She is 4 years older than I and has heart condition.

It it's worrisome.

sorry to hear that. Treatment has come a long way in a short time, many more options now than when this started. 

• Like 1

If you were one of the unlucky 1 in 4 that got moderate to serious immune system side effects from your COVID shot, they found out what was causing the reaction.  They've also since figured out how to mitigate it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/one-in-four-who-had-pfizer-covid-jabs-experienced-unintended-immune-response/ar-AA1l6nk5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e44cded405184014b221b852c54b081e&ei=46

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If you were one of the unlucky 1 in 4 that got moderate to serious immune system side effects from your COVID shot, they found out what was causing the reaction.  They've also since figured out how to mitigate it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/one-in-four-who-had-pfizer-covid-jabs-experienced-unintended-immune-response/ar-AA1l6nk5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e44cded405184014b221b852c54b081e&ei=46

Covid came at the "right" time.  And thanks to Covid, mRNA technology was demonstrated to be safe.  And thanks to research like this, the next round of vaccines and treatments will be better.

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Covid came at the "right" time.  And thanks to Covid, mRNA technology was demonstrated to be safe.  And thanks to research like this, the next round of vaccines and treatments will be better.

I hope so.  I tolerated all 4 of my shots just fine.  I didn't feel the need to get a fifth unless it started to spread among the population.  As I said at the beginning of the thread, that's the only time from now on that I will get one from here on out. 

The only reason I get flu shots every year is because I really really hate the flu.  I've had both COVID and the flu, and I would take COVID over the flu every time.

30 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I hope so.  I tolerated all 4 of my shots just fine.  I didn't feel the need to get a fifth unless it started to spread among the population.  As I said at the beginning of the thread, that's the only time from now on that I will get one from here on out. 

The only reason I get flu shots every year is because I really really hate the flu.  I've had both COVID and the flu, and I would take COVID over the flu every time.

And there is a mRNA flu shot coming that is more effective than the standard ones we each year.

Just got my flu and covid shots last week.  Sore arm for a couple days.  As of yet, no big deal.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

And there is a mRNA flu shot coming that is more effective than the standard ones we each year.

Just got my flu and covid shots last week.  Sore arm for a couple days.  As of yet, no big deal.

Millions of chicken eggs will be happy to hear that news. 🐔🥚

On 12/3/2023 at 8:01 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

I understand some of the arguments against getting the vaccine. Lack of long term/longitudinal studies because of the time constraints being one of them. Fair. I'm not getting additional jabs at this point unless something changes.

But the sheer lunacy I see on the internet is wild. I saw on twitter that "New Zealand loses 20% of its population due to covid vaccine". Like wtf is that trash? It's so far outside what is feasibly believable. And the thing is, people were eating it up. Maybe some of them were bots, I don't know. I'm pretty sure people would notice 1 million New Zealanders dying. Or the, "my cousin died 2 weeks after getting the jab".. what they don't tell you is their cousin was morbidly obese with heart failure and type 2 diabetes. Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest.

Carry on.

It sounds crazy because you're talking about the usual manufactured straw man version of the story. The story is that one of the vaccine batches has a death rate of over 20% so far. The 10th highest batch motality is in the 4% range. The guy has all the detailed New Zealand data and decided to compile it because he thought death rates were way out of wack. I can't find the whistle-blowers initial presentation but here he is talking about it in a subsequent interview it looks like. He was arrested for divulging information, not sure if he's out now or did this before being jailed.  

This is death rate from all causes, not just related to the vaccine or covid.

Edited by Coalio