Vaccine thread

Gurn

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm referring to posts/accounts being deleted for bringing up the topic. I suppose the restrictions were effective if you and anyone else were unaware.

Getting pushback on ideas is fair game, that's the way it should be, rather than it be disallowed altogether.

My counter point would be that restricting questions only fuels those individuals more. Let those questions be answered with information. The chosen path created plenty of distrust not only in the covid vaccine, but other vaccines/medicines too. A predictable outcome.

I don't know the full context of that quote, but maybe rules were put in place where they live that were nonsensical, and therefore they have a gripe with their government. The huge transfer of wealth is not a good look either. I don't really see that type of post as a problem, as it isn't explicitly saying to break the law or anything along those lines

A separate thread may have been helpful, and who knows, maybe there was a mandate from the Canucks org on what to allow. The issue was more of a problem on larger platforms though.

Such as? 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

@Master Mind I respect you as a person first and foremost, I also respected you as a fellow GM, but you’re being a bit casual about throwing out shade. 

We’ve had the vaccine discussion before. 

I don’t get what you don’t get since our convos on CDC. 

To clarify I'm not talking about here, but social media as a whole, including the big ones.

I've said it on CDC but it's worth repeating here, that I think CDC/CFF moderating is better than other platforms.

Just now, Master Mind said:

To clarify I'm not talking about here, but social media as a whole, including the big ones.

I've said it on CDC but it's worth repeating here, that I think CDC/CFF moderating is better than other platforms.

Fair. 

Social media is a toxic and idiotic place that encourages idiocy and not discussion. 

Cheers. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Fair. However, no one has been banned here because of their thoughts or opinions. 

Unless it was for some other infraction.

Only one of us would know for sure, and it isn't me. If the first line is true, that's great.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Fair. 

Social media is a toxic and idiotic place that encourages idiocy and not discussion. 

Cheers. 

Agreed. Although I think a forum such as CFF is the best bet of finding discussion amongst all the noise out there.

Hope you have a Happy Festivus.

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Only one of us would know for sure, and it isn't me. If the first line is true, that's great.

Agreed. Although I think a forum such as CFF is the best bet of finding discussion amongst all the noise out there.

Hope you have a Happy Festivus.

Again, unless there’s some evidence that was done, then perhaps the accusations are unfounded. 

Were you subject to discipline on this site for comments in this thread? 

If not, then perhaps walk those words back a bit, at least when it comes to this particular platform. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

You have me confused. I’m not sure why you think I’m throwing shade on CNN or the NYP or anyone else, maybe you have me confused with someone else. I’m certainly willing to reconsider if you have something from me stating otherwise.

I simply posted an article from Forbes written by Steven Salzberg  from Johns Hopkins that says the research conducted at BU was gain of function experiments on the SARS Covid virus in rebuttal to the statement that no such work could be done on US soil. Also I made no attempt to tie it to any lab leak here or in Wuhan or other theory on where the virus came from. 

Yes, I did confuse you with someone else.   My apologies.  Most of what I said in my reply was directed toward someone who did confuse the NYT and NYP and has professed a dislike for CNN.  So, all in all, I messed up....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Again, unless there’s some evidence that was done, then perhaps the accusations are unfounded. 

Were you subject to discipline on this site for comments in this thread? 

If not, then perhaps walk those words back a bit, at least when it comes to this particular platform. 

Cheers. 

Your post initially ended with "right?", to which I figured you were asking me.

I already clarified that I have no issue with the moderating here, and have stated it's better than other platforms.

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Your post initially ended with "right?", to which I figured you were asking me.

I already clarified that I have no issue with the moderating here, and have stated it's better than other platforms.

Wonderful then. 

The CFF Moderating Staff is always here to serve. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Happy Hanukah, and Happy Festivus to you and yours.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO I don’t understand why people would be against life saving vaccines. Sadly we have some folk who are keeping their kids from getting vaccines like Measles! My Goodness! Is this an Internet thing? Just sad. 

Because deep down they think the system will save them from themselves.

Lots of regret stories in the covid wards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

55 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm referring to posts/accounts being deleted for bringing up the topic. I suppose the restrictions were effective if you and anyone else were unaware.

Getting pushback on ideas is fair game, that's the way it should be, rather than it be disallowed altogether.

My counter point would be that restricting questions only fuels those individuals more. Let those questions be answered with information. The chosen path created plenty of distrust not only in the covid vaccine, but other vaccines/medicines too. A predictable outcome.

I don't know the full context of that quote, but maybe rules were put in place where they live that were nonsensical, and therefore they have a gripe with their government. The huge transfer of wealth is not a good look either. I don't really see that type of post as a problem, as it isn't explicitly saying to break the law or anything along those lines

A separate thread may have been helpful, and who knows, maybe there was a mandate from the Canucks org on what to allow. The issue was more of a problem on larger platforms though.

I mostly agree with you except for -

The Canucks organization, who owned the CDC, made their stance on adhering to public health mandates regarding Covid perfectly clear from early on and again when they cut ties with Mark Donnelly. Trying to discredit mandates  from Dr B & BC Health by calling them “the real culprits”  didn’t invite discussion in my view, rather just led to having posts removed. Any serious discussion of origin was never going to fly if it was linked to ignoring public health warnings.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I mostly agree with you except for -

The Canucks organization, who owned the CDC, made their stance on adhering to public health mandates regarding Covid perfectly clear from early on and again when they cut ties with Mark Donnelly. Trying to discredit mandates  from Dr B & BC Health by calling them “the real culprits”  didn’t invite discussion in my view, rather just led to having posts removed. Any serious discussion of origin was never going to fly if it was linked to ignoring public health warnings.

Any advice that could cause harm to any Member on this Site will be deleted and the Member will be Banned. 

Discussion is great. Bad advice is a ban. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Tougher to pull things up that have been deleted.

There were plenty deleted on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I did some digging after you made your claim...I found one Twitter account that was deleted and it was a right wing media outlet that had outed a Chinese scientist and called him the reason the virus leaked. In that situation, I absolutely agree with the account being suspended.

However, in my searching, i found plenty of tweets where people were promoting the lab leak theory.

I think you're overstating things when you claim accounts were suspended, just for talking about the possibility of a lab leak. However, if you can post some actual evidence to back up your claim, I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I did some digging after you made your claim...I found one Twitter account that was deleted and it was a right wing media outlet that had outed a Chinese scientist and called him the reason the virus leaked. In that situation, I absolutely agree with the account being suspended.

However, in my searching, i found plenty of tweets where people were promoting the lab leak theory.

I think you're overstating things when you claim accounts were suspended, just for talking about the possibility of a lab leak. However, if you can post some actual evidence to back up your claim, I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

Tough to find the posts if they've been deleted. But here's some links from when the rule was changed on Facebook. Other sites covered the same thing, in case you don't trust the sources.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/26/facebook-ban-covid-man-made-491053

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/27/facebook-lifts-ban-on-posts-claiming-covid-19-was-man-made

The first one contains a link to meta's updates, which includes this segment. There's other topics on the list, but here's the one in question:

https://about.fb.com/news/2020/04/covid-19-misinfo-update/#removing-more-false-claims

Removing More False Claims About COVID-19 and Vaccines

Today, we are expanding our efforts to remove false claims on Facebook and Instagram about COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccines and vaccines in general during the pandemic. Since December, we’ve removed false claims about COVID-19 vaccines that have been debunked by public health experts. Today, following consultations with leading health organizations, including the World Health Organization (WHO), we are expanding the list of false claims we will remove to include additional debunked claims about the coronavirus and vaccines. This includes claims such as: 

• COVID-19 is man-made or manufactured

10 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Kristian G. Andersen, a professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research. Andersen has studied the origins of SARS-CoV-2.

Let’s start with the Jan. 31 email. Andersen wrote to Fauci: “On a phylogenetic tree the virus looks totally normal and the close clustering with bats suggest that bats serve as the reservoir. The unusual features of the virus make up a really small part of the genome (< 0.1 %) so one has to look really closely at all the sequences to see that some of the features (potentially) look engineered.”

He continued: “We have a good team lined up to look very critically at this, so we should know much more at the end of the weekend. I should mention that after discussions earlier today, Eddie, Bob, Mike, and myself all find the genome inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory. But we have to look at this much more closely and there are still further analyses to be done, so those opinions could still change.”

Then after a redacted set of emails and a meeting to discuss their strategy, they all come out with a different view later. 

POTENTIALLY 

OPINIONS. 

MMMMKAY

That's the best you could do.  

No link to the primary source.

Try again 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Tough to find the posts if they've been deleted. But here's some links from when the rule was changed on Facebook. Other sites covered the same thing, in case you don't trust the sources.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/26/facebook-ban-covid-man-made-491053

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/27/facebook-lifts-ban-on-posts-claiming-covid-19-was-man-made

The first one contains a link to meta's updates, which includes this segment. There's other topics on the list, but here's the one in question:

https://about.fb.com/news/2020/04/covid-19-misinfo-update/#removing-more-false-claims

I think saying it was "man-made" is different from saying it leaked from a lab, but fair enough. A difference in how we interpret the types of posts that were banned.

Once again-science with a win:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/6-simple-acts-now-to-reduce-the-risk-of-alzheimer-s-later/ar-AA1lZ1gh?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=0b33ff1ac4fd4091b6e74ed43c00670c&ei=8

"Get vaccinated. University of Texas researchers at McGovern Medical School said having an annual flu vaccine was associated with a 40% decrease in risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease within four years. They found a single flu vaccine could reduce the risk by 17%. The association also said that pneumonia vaccines for those ages 65-75 reduced the risk of Alzheimer’s by up to 40%, based on Duke University’s Social Science Research Institute study.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/6-simple-acts-now-to-reduce-the-risk-of-alzheimer-s-later/ar-AA1lZ1gh?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=0b33ff1ac4fd4091b6e74ed43c00670c&ei=8

"Get vaccinated. University of Texas researchers at McGovern Medical School said having an annual flu vaccine was associated with a 40% decrease in risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease within four years. They found a single flu vaccine could reduce the risk by 17%. The association also said that pneumonia vaccines for those ages 65-75 reduced the risk of Alzheimer’s by up to 40%, based on Duke University’s Social Science Research Institute study.

I am sure hoping that all parents are making sure their children are getting vaccinated against whooping cough. Lost my very first friend to whooping cough. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, Gurn said:

Interesting. But which came first, the chicken or the egg? Could be that those who are already starting to develop Alzheimers are less likely to be get vaxed than those who still have all of their cognitive function.

• Cheers 2