Vaccine thread

Gurn

4 minutes ago, bolt said:

So our aging population is responsible for a 10% increase in cancer over a couple of years.  Everyone I know who recently got it are well under the age of 50.

The quote also says this:

"genetics is a contributing factor to the increase, poor diet, alcohol and tobacco use, physical inactivity and obesity also play major roles"

So no, not just age.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bolt said:

So our aging population is responsible for a 10% increase in cancer over a couple of years.  Everyone I know who recently got it are well under the age of 50.

There are other factors.   One big one is increased detection.   The more we look, the more we find.

BTW - your recent posts seem to be dancing around an idea.  Why not just come out and say what you want to say?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Well that definitely proves you are right😂

A laughing emoji when mentioned close young people to me diagnosed with cancer.

You are classless.  

Alcohol use increased by 24% during covid.

As we know now, alcohol is linked to cancer.

Could that be part of any increase in cnacer in the recent years?

I am still blown away that the gov kept liquor stores open during a pandemic.

It's a drug that is bad for you, nothing good comes from it health wise ....and were we not trying to stop the spread?

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's a drug that is bad for you, nothing good comes from it health wise ....and were we not trying to stop the spread?

One word: Government fucking revenues.

Shut down the booze shops, the province gets no income from taxation of booze sales.

Hence, "essential services".  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The stress on the medical system from drying out alcoholics would have been a huge issue when already dealing with a pandemic.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

government makes a lot of money from booze

makers of booze make a lot more money, from booze

makers of booze are likely big supporters of political parties

probably a lot of drinkers are in parliament, and didn't want to get cut off.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Sorry boys....I know you have the moral high ground, but I just can't get mad at someone for maintaining my access to beer and scotch during a pandemic.....

If it's any consolation, I always bought an extra Mickey of something, then poured it over all the other stuff to sterilize.....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

You guys raise some good points.  Yes, alcohol is bad for you.  Yes, the government makes piles of money from it.

But can you guys imagine what things would have been like if they had shut down liquor stores in 2020 or 2021?  It's in any governments' best interest to prevent civil war.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

Families should start suing. Make him liable. Bankrupt his ass all the way to the gates of hell where he belongs.

He's actually responsible for more deaths than that, just through his early inaction. The Pandemic made him look bad, so he downplayed it for weeks, hoping it would just "go away". People died as a result. Lots of people.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/05/06/trump-covid-death-counter/

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You guys raise some good points.  Yes, alcohol is bad for you.  Yes, the government makes piles of money from it.

But can you guys imagine what things would have been like if they had shut down liquor stores in 2020 or 2021?  It's in any governments' best interest to prevent civil war.

I probably would have hit up Alf for some of his stash....

I'm not too proud to drink out of a paper bag.....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yes I am thinking it would have made the trucker convoy look like a tea party. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

They could've always tried to convert drinkers to pot... :hurhur:

edit - ok, I'll stop my facetiousness right around now.  :classic_ninja:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

One word: Government fucking revenues.

Shut down the booze shops, the province gets no income from taxation of booze sales.

Hence, "essential services".  :hurhur:

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The stress on the medical system from drying out alcoholics would have been a huge issue when already dealing with a pandemic.

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sorry boys....I know you have the moral high ground, but I just can't get mad at someone for maintaining my access to beer and scotch during a pandemic.....

If it's any consolation, I always bought an extra Mickey of something, then poured it over all the other stuff to sterilize.....:classic_unsure:

30 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Ok. 

I wish I had made two posts

My main point was, since alc is linked to cancer, could the increaed consumption be already showing up on fancy graphs?

But to the good points you all make...

Yep, lots of dollars. I once talked about a UVic study back in 2011,  ithink, anyway they got permission to put cancer warning labels on bottles up north. Originally the gov agreed but did a 180 when the lobby groups got wind of it.

So here is my questions...

How bad would it have to be for the gov to shut the shops? what level of data/predictors? or no level? drink to the end? we didn't know at the time how bad the pandemic would be. We were watching places like Italy and wondering how bad it was going to get

Could you imagine if this virus wiped us out ?  Would we be looking down ( cause heaven exists in this point Im making) and wondering if our addiction to that drug was worth it?

Heff makes a good point that the hospitals would have issues with all the withdrawl...but how do you quantify that vs a pandemic we knew very little about? 

How many cases and death occured from us not shutting down to real essential services?

I say all this as a person that might have made more money in my life than anyone else I have come across online from that drug I am barking about right now. Trust me, untill last year I drank heavy. It was nothing for me to consume about 10 ounces per evening. No judgement, just wondering about what we as a society think is important, or is the truth. 

47 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This is an amazing and potentially true statement about a drug. A drug that has very little positive influence on us, if any. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep, lots of dollars. I once talked about a UVic study back in 2011,  ithink, anyway they got permission to put cancer warning labels on bottles up north. Originally the gov agreed but did a 180 when the lobby groups got wind of it.

If I recall correctly, and if it's the same study, I believe it was Yukon's government that did it, and they got told sternly by big booze to quit it, so they did.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How bad would it have to be for the gov to shut the shops? what level of data/predictors? or no level? drink to the end? we didn't know at the time how bad the pandemic would be. We were watching places like Italy and wondering how bad it was going to get

I don't have data to back this up, but alcohol is a chronic/slow-acting toxin that can cause cancer as one of its outcomes, so the sudden absence of it from the market probably won't appreciably be noticed in reduced cancer figures, but its increased intake during a period like a pandemic would likely result in a downstream "wave" of "new" cases.  At least, that's what the logic would suggest.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

They could've always tried to convert drinkers to pot... :hurhur:

edit - ok, I'll stop my facetiousness right around now.  :classic_ninja:

The alc companies are trying, via the gov. To make thc products, especially beverages a pain in the ass to get. Expensive, limited availiblity, packagin etc...

A friend is a top dude with consellation brands Canada, he moved over from thei alc side when legalisation came in. i'm gonna call him one of these days to chat about it. He spoke to me about it a few years ago and said it was a massive up hill battle.

THC beverages, though not like alc at all as its a differnt 'high', could be big business. They can taste like any drink , soda etc. However, no hangover, no damage to the liver, and non of that pesky cancer...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is an amazing and potentially true statement about a drug. A drug that has very little positive influence on us, if any. 

Maybe not a civil war, but it would certainly make the 2011 SCF riots seem like childs play in comparison.

• Cheers 1