Vaccine thread

Gurn

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/key-cause-of-long-covid-fatigue-revealed-in-new-study/ar-AA1myIqx?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=74328c2954fe418fb7dc8881873dee1b&ei=66

If you are among the many people who have been infected with COVID-19 and subsequently felt more tired than usual, there may now be an explanation for that.

A recent study published in Nature Communications has shed light on the debilitating post-exertional malaise experienced by long COVID patients.

This study, involving 25 patients, reveals that long COVID significantly impacts skeletal muscle structure, leading to reduced exercise capacity and exacerbating fatigue and pain after physical activity.

The research highlights how chronic conditions following acute infections like COVID-19, known as post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC), manifest in a range of symptoms, including limited exercise tolerance and post-exertional malaise. The study involved rigorous testing, including blood and skeletal muscle biopsies before and after exercise, to understand the biological factors contributing to these symptoms.

My sister is dealing with long covid symptoms as we speak.

• Huggy Bear 4

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

That chart that was posted is not from American Cancer Society. The Ethical Skeptic took ACS’s projections and made their own chart, filled in a big coloured section and added “11.5 % excess” wording.

ACS numbers & projections for new cancer diagnoses, not accounting for population growth 

2018    1,735,350

2019   1,762,450    +1.54%

2020   1,806,590    +2.44%

2021   1,898,160     +5.07%

2022   1,918,030    +1.03%

2023   1,958,310    +2.05%

Roughly 60% of Americans had received 1 dose of vaccine by the end of 2021.

Thanks for that. 

Those numbers could easily be accounted for any reason other than DA VAxxiNEzzz.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if there are studies that show an age difference in the totals of people that end up believing misinformation?

Are younger people better at weeding through the crap, than older folk?

Man I sure hope so- or we are all likely doomed.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I wonder if there are studies that show an age difference in the totals of people that end up believing misinformation?

Are younger people better at weeding through the crap, than older folk?

Man I sure hope so- or we are all likely doomed.

I think you'll find that generally speaking it'll be somewhat of a "standard distribution" (using the statistical definition of the term), but the shift of where that peak appears will depend on how well that generation was educated on how to think critically and identify mis/disinformation.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think you'll find that generally speaking it'll be somewhat of a "standard distribution" (using the statistical definition of the term), but the shift of where that peak appears will depend on how well that generation was educated on how to think critically and identify mis/disinformation.

I reckon that older folks are more susceptible to misinformation/disinformation. 

However, young people are so in tuned with so much social media nonsense, that they’re also susceptible to those they ‘Follow’. 

If anything, I think people, of any age, are susceptible to bad information, based on critical thinking or lack thereof. 

On 1/4/2024 at 2:22 PM, bishopshodan said:

Alcohol use increased by 24% during covid.

As we know now, alcohol is linked to cancer.

Could that be part of any increase in cnacer in the recent years?

I am still blown away that the gov kept liquor stores open during a pandemic.

It's a drug that is bad for you, nothing good comes from it health wise ....and were we not trying to stop the spread?

On 1/4/2024 at 2:48 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

One word: Government fucking revenues.

Shut down the booze shops, the province gets no income from taxation of booze sales.

Hence, "essential services".  :hurhur:

I actually worked at government liquor stores during the pandemic. While I'm sure the government was fine continuing to get tax funding from alcohol sales, the main reason was indeed medical as Hefty eluded to.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, King Heffy said:

The stress on the medical system from drying out alcoholics would have been a huge issue when already dealing with a pandemic.

The amount of people that would have adverse, potentially life threatening issues without their alcohol fix, was very much the reason. The last thing our pandemic over run medical system needed was to add a bunch of angry, drying out alcoholics as, you put it.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

actually worked at government liquor stores during the pandemic. While I'm sure the government was fine continuing to get tax funding from alcohol sales, the main reason was indeed medical as Hefty eluded to.

Did you get official info saying that? I am sure that was part of the reasoning but seems strange if they sent out official statements about health concerns while we were facing an unknown virus. My thoughts were its quite the gamble... if covid was a lot worse, people might have looked back and wondered why we kept open the recreational drug stores.

I left my LRS group in 2019, just before the pandemic. I know they went on to have banner years, one of the only type of brick and mortar businesses that boomed.

i kept in touch with the owners, they were happy to stay open but never mentioned that its partially due to alc health reasons.

They own nightclubs and pubs too, man were they happy to have a few liquor stores as the other businesses were forced to close.

EDIT: I have read some stuff about the hospital limits and concerns from media but my point is more about the idea that we were blind to what covid was and still rolled the dice. Also, I wonder how many infections and even deaths came from people shopping for their drug, that most are not 'addicted' to. For hardcore alcoholics, they could have set up some sort of system, again if we thought covid could be end-days type virus.

Seems more that it was a social decision. We do celebrate that drug like it is manna

Edited by bishopshodan

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I actually worked at government liquor stores during the pandemic. While I'm sure the government was fine continuing to get tax funding from alcohol sales, the main reason was indeed medical as Hefty eluded to.

The amount of people that would have adverse, potentially life threatening issues without their alcohol fix, was very much the reason. The last thing our pandemic over run medical system needed was to add a bunch of angry, drying out alcoholics as, you put it.

Did you get the lovely set of cardboard coasters as thanks for working through the pandemic? My BIL manages a store and apologized to his staff while handing them out…

Without access to liquor people would have been drinking mouthwash, vanilla extract, cough syrup, etc. Stills would have become a thing again.

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Did you get the lovely set of cardboard coasters as thanks for working through the pandemic? My BIL manages a store and apologized to his staff while handing them out…

Without access to liquor people would have been drinking mouthwash, vanilla extract, cough syrup, etc. Stills would have become a thing again.

That would have been better than being dead.

I dont know if I am making my point very well.

In retrospect we know pretty much the impact of covid. It has caused some of the anti-vaxx crowd to point out where and how we went wrong.

Many say to those anti vaxxers the truth, that we were figuring it out and adjusting as we learned about it. 

I guess that is my answer. If covid was making people die in the streets like we thought was happing in China. If it was looking like a end of days type virus, here in Canada, the gov would have been forced to restrict further I suppose?

One nice stat is that the younger generations are drinking less. 

Alcohol may one day will be looked at more in line with cigs. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

51 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don't dispute the "protecting the medical system" narrative as put forth by the government, as I suspect that in times of great stress, there are people that might turn to escapisms of sex, drugs (incl. booze), or violence to cope - but there is a large enough $$$ tax revenue incentive for them to keep those facilities selling alcohol running.  Like why were pubs and bars allowed to remain open to sell booze for consumption on-site despite the fact that they knew this virus was being spread primarily through air transmission, and you'd be sitting in an enclosed space with masks off in order to drink?  Even as the medical experts were pushing for minimizing instances of gatherings and exposures between "bubbles" to reduce the possibility of spread?

The government would stand to lose a heck of a lot of money if they were to stop all alcohol sales in the province, while having to spend large sums to keep businesses and the medical system afloat.

• ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That would have been better than being dead.

I dont know if I am making my point very well.

In retrospect we know pretty much the impact of covid. It has caused some of the anti-vaxx crowd to point out where and how we went wrong.

Many say to those anti vaxxers the truth, that we were figuring it out and adjusting as we learned about it. 

I guess that is my answer. If covid was making people die in the streets like we thought was happing in China. If it was looking like a end of days type virus, here in Canada, the gov would have been forced to restrict further I suppose?

One nice stat is that the younger generations are drinking less. 

Alcohol may one day will be looked at more in line with cigs. 

Oh for sure, I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree, (fwiw I don’t drink anymore and don’t have a dog in the fight.)  On the face of it liquor stores should have been closed but my guess is their calculations said it was more than people would stand for.

I wasn’t aware about younger people drinking less. That’s good news.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't dispute the "protecting the medical system" narrative as put forth by the government, as I suspect that in times of great stress, there are people that might turn to escapisms of sex, drugs (incl. booze), or violence to cope - but there is a large enough $$$ tax revenue incentive for them to keep those facilities selling alcohol running.  Like why were pubs and bars allowed to remain open to sell booze for consumption on-site despite the fact that they knew this virus was being spread primarily through air transmission, and you'd be sitting in an enclosed space with masks off in order to drink?  Even as the medical experts were pushing for minimizing instances of gatherings and exposures between "bubbles" to reduce the possibility of spread?

The government would stand to lose a heck of a lot of money if they were to stop all alcohol sales in the province, while having to spend large sums to keep businesses and the medical system afloat.

Zero doubt that $ weren’t part of the equation. Maybe the largest part..?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Zero doubt that $ weren’t part of the equation. Maybe the largest part..?

Certainly a big part. But enraging a large portion of the population in addition to the moonshining/bootlegging and withdrawal issues, with very little positive return, were not things they could ignore.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I got a coffee mug 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

as I suspect that in times of great stress, there are people that might turn to escapisms of sex, drugs (incl. booze), or violence to cope 

It's not that people "turn to them" in tough times (sure, some do). There's already an existing, not small percentage of the population that are reliant on getting their daily alcohol fix, for their lives. They will literally die without it. And bunch more that will just be really, REALLY unwell without their fix. It would have just put a massive extra burden on the medical system.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I got a coffee mug 🤣

Isn’t it nice to know how much an essential worker is appreciated! Sounds very much like old Canadian game show grand prizes.

“Thanks for putting your health at risk through this pandemic. Here’s a lovely coffee mug.”

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not that people "turn to them" in tough times (sure, some do). There's already an existing, not small percentage of the population that are reliant on getting their daily alcohol fix, for their lives. They will literally die without it. And bunch more that will just be really, REALLY unwell without their fix. It would have just put a massive extra burden on the medical system.

Not true! 78DA18A2-0A85-43E7-949F-CEFE069E6833.jpeg.ff54729a43e8f7d1e1302dcf3d7499a7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I reckon that older folks are more susceptible to misinformation/disinformation. 

However, young people are so in tuned with so much social media nonsense, that they’re also susceptible to those they ‘Follow’. 

If anything, I think people, of any age, are susceptible to bad information, based on critical thinking or lack thereof. 

We older folks grew up with vaccines.   Pretty sure we are the highest % that have been vaxxinated against Covid.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

We older folks grew up with vaccines.   Pretty sure we are the highest % that have been vaxxinated against Covid.

Yup. The Polio vaccine was a great gift. And these MRNA vaccines are amazing compared yo that. We have too many “horsey paste” lovers. Sadly these people (IMHAO younger folk) are too spoiled by our comfortable lives to accept the truth. Horsey paste is more yo some of their liking. 

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I agree with this and I feel everyone should do what they want with their own bodies.  We should keep pointing out/and learning the dangers, supporting reasonable consumption. 

Just hope you understood my point of that we didnt know the severity of the pandemic.

Deaths from cold trukey can happen for sure, its an awful way to get off booze. However the pandemic could have been worse, end game...we didn know at the time. It says quite a bit, as you point out, of the grip this alc drug has on our society.

• Cheers 1