Vaccine thread

Gurn

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

There wasn’t the global testing for years on those previous viruses. The ‘cure’ was found, tested, implemented and saved millions(tens, hundreds) of people over the decades. 

But considering I'm 42, those vaccines we are discussing were tested for quite some time before I ever got one as a child and my kids ever got one as a child, correct?

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Our parents/grandparents were kids/teens/young adults when they got those previous vaccines. 

We’re alive because they got them, rather than having our lineage die before we had a chance to make decisions about ourselves and our future progeny. 

All because of vaccines. 

That wasn't really the question I asked but I think based on what you said you did answer my question and I am correct. Also, I'm not an anti-vaccine just this particular one. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That wasn't really the question I asked but I think based on what you said you did answer my question and I am correct. Also, I'm not an anti-vaccine just this particular one. 

We should not be looking to the UK for medical or DENTAL advice........

Covid shots are expensive but saving lives should be a priority..... not to mention covid long symptoms.      I saw alot of people weariing masks today. downtown so  looks like people are getting smarter..

Edited by moosehead
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1228632/number-covid-deaths-canada-by-age/

Statistically your odds of death by covid under the age of 50 is extremely low regardless of vaccination status.  The chart doesn't even cover healthy young people meaning even less deaths in that demographic.    Numbers don't lie but you can lie about statistics all you want and deny there are people that have been negatively effected by the vaccine who were never endangered by the virus.  

I also don't care of your beliefs of wishing the unvaxxed dead, banning/charging non 4+ shot people from the hospitals and coercing people who didn't need the shots in the first place.  So we can respect those who take the boosters and those who don't.   

Where did I wish the unvaxxed dead?  Or where did I advocate charging people who havent had shots?  Or coercing anyone to get shots in the first place.

Again.  This is a lie.  You're creating a BS narrative for statements I have not said at all.  Statistically 13.5 BILLION injections with under 500k severe adverse reactions is less than .002% or less.

The numbers don't lie.  At this point by putting words in my mouth and stating I said things I haven't you are.  This is exactly what i spoke of.  people willing to lie to push their beliefs.

Keep me out of it chief.  Keep it honest and ya won't find any issue.  but when people start lying that's when things get iffy

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

We should not be looking to the UK for medical or DENTAL advice........

Covid shots are expensive but saving lives should be a priority..... not to mention covid long symptoms.      

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I never even mentioned the United Kingdom. I actually don't even know what this post is even about

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think you can discern the point I made.

If you can’t, You and your (us and our) kids are just the first ones of these generations to experience what our grandparents dealt with when it came to being vaccinated. 

They trusted that a chance of a normal life versus the death toll they saw around them made them do the smart thing for their progeny…and here ‘we’ are…arguing and fighting about vaccines that allowed us, from the previous 2 generations, to be here at all. 

Sometimes we need to take as much stock in the things that worked in the past, as much as we think we’re so much smarter now. 

Fair points.

One question and it's a serious question because I don't know the answer, but what was the death rate of those other viruses? Was it comparable to the very low death rate of COVID or was it quite a bit higher? 

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Fair points.

One question and it's a serious question because I don't know the answer, but what was the death rate of those other viruses? Was it comparable to the very low death rate of COVID or wasn't quite a bit higher? 

You do realize that getting the covid vax is as much about protecting your senior relatives... than it is about protecting your younger self.

Getting vax is about protecting others.      That is a great message to send to our kids.

• ThereItIs 1

Fair points.

One question and it's a serious question because I don't know the answer, but what was the death rate of those other viruses? Was it comparable to the very low death rate of COVID or wasn't quite a bit higher? 

It’s not necessarily the death rate but the lingering effects. Measles can kill but it also can leave the infected disfigured from scarring. Polio will kill but it also can leave its survivors crippled. Scarlet fever can have side effects that are nasty too. The list of nasty consequences (short of death) include some very nasty things for our kids. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s not necessarily the death rate but the lingering effects. Measles can kill but it also can leave the infected disfigured from scarring. Polio will kill but it also can leave its survivors crippled. Scarlet fever can have side effects that are nasty too. The list of nasty consequences (short of death) include some very nasty things for our kids. 

You probably didn't have your scooter yet before you got those vaccinations hey?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fair points.

Measles is one of the most transmissible viral infections that although mild in most cases, can cause serious illness, life-long complications and death [51]. Measles is transmitted from human to human via respiratory droplets, and is associated with the world’s highest reproduction number of more than 10 [30], far higher than that of SARS-CoV-2.

The declaration of measles elimination from the Americas in 1999 was a historic milestone, as the first WHO region to eliminate measles [55]. However, in 2018, the Americas saw a major resurgence, mainly because of the migration crisis in Venezuela [56, 57], combined with decreasing vaccine coverage that increased the vulnerability to importation of measles [58]. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7847598/

This is just measles. There’s a ton more about Scarlet Fever, Tuberculosis, etc. 

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:42 AM, Sabrefan1 said:

I've had 4 shots and the virus itself once.  I'm strongly considering not getting this new shot.  I'm starting to be concerned with unknown long term side effects.  If the new variant starts to spread around New York State like wildfire, I'll get it so I don't become a walking incubator.  Until then, my trust with these drug companies and the FDA is low.  It doesn't help that people have politicized it like crazy. 

One side prays at the alter of the almighty deities Moderna and Pfizer while the other side wants you to believe that the gov't has a secret program replacing people with imposters they believe to be dead.

I'm in the same spot as you.  

• Cheers 1

I have a friend who is on the wrong (ignorant) side of this issue. She was vaxed, reluctantly, so she could travel, but complained bitterly about it, spouting all the usual anti-vax nonsense, like "how many people do you know personally who died from covid?" She doesn't say that any more since a close relative of hers got long covid and while they didn't die, they had their life turned to crap as a result.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I have a friend who is on the wrong (ignorant) side of this issue. She was vaxed, reluctantly, so she could travel, but complained bitterly about it, spouting all the usual anti-vax nonsense, like "how many people do you know personally who died from covid?" She doesn't say that any more since a close relative of hers got long covid and while they didn't die, they had their life turned to crap as a result.

I stopped reading at wrong side of this issue..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moosehead said:

You do realize that getting the covid vax is as much about protecting your senior relatives... than it is about protecting your younger self.

Getting vax is about protecting others.      That is a great message to send to our kids.

By this logic maybe we should do away with abortions..

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

By this logic maybe we should do away with abortions..

Oh good god can that just be done in another thread? 

I cannot believe we're all having the EXACT same conversations almost word for word as we have for the past 3 years. With the same people. How dreadful that the number of deaths from Covid are being termed 'small'. (Can't remember who said it, and am not going back to look) I assure you, to the doctors, nurses,and family members, the death of their loved one is NOT small.

I will never understand why people would not do EVERYTHING they could to protect themselves, their loved ones, THEIR CHILDREN from this virus. ESPECIALLY as the side effects of the virus from seemingly 'minor' infections are proving to be life altering for a great number of people. Scientists and researchers are finally able to explore and study the long term effects of this virus on the human body... and it's looking dire. Each time a person gets COVID, it damages you a little more... your brain, your vascular system... Anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are playing Russian Roulette with their health..and not only THEIR health but everyone around them. Can you imagine, back during the Polio epidemic, if this sense of selfishness was as pervasive as it is today? The numbers of dead kids that would be on the books? If people had refused the polio vaccine? I will NEVER understand people who think it doesn't matter... no masking, no vaccine, my body, my choice but get no consequences for that sort of selfishness. You still get treated, depending on your age, you'll get triaged for intubation over someone in their 70s who took EVERY precaution but with a compromised immune system due only to their age, got Covid from some coughing anti-masker/vaxxer on a bus.... I've spent 3+ years attempting to educate, explain, lecture and drum into people's heads the information but wilful ignorance is wilful ignorance. You cannot cure terminal stupid and frankly, I'm done being patient, with being polite, with being calm and courteous while explaining or debating this topic. I am more inclined now to tell someone to fuck off and get out of my face with their anti-va/masking crap than remain polite.

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Oh good god can that just be done in another thread?  I cannot believe we're all having the EXACT same conversations almost word for word as we have for the past 3 years. With the same people. How dreadful that the deaths from Covid are being termed 'small'. I assure you, to the doctors, nurses,and family members, the death of their loved one is NOT small. I will never understand why people would not do EVERYTHING they could to protect themselves, their loved ones, THEIR CHILDREN from this virus. ESPECIALLY as the side effects of the virus from seemingly 'minor' infections are proving to be life altering for a great number of people. Scientists and researchers are finally able to explore and study the long term effects of this virus on the human body... and it's looking dire. Each time a person gets COVID, it damages you a little more... your brain, your vascular system... Anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are playing Russian Roulette with their health..and not only THEIR health but everyone around them. Can you imagine, back during the Polio epidemic, if this sense of selfishness was as pervasive as it is today? The numbers of dead kids that would be on the books? If people had refused the polio vaccine? I will NEVER understand people who think it doesn't matter... no masking, no vaccine, my body, my choice but get no consequences for that sort of selfishness. You still get treated, depending on your age, you'll get triaged for intubation over someone in their 70s who took EVERY precaution but with a compromised immune system due only to their age, got Covid from some coughing anti-masker/vaxxer on a bus.... I've spent 3+ years attempting to educate, explain, lecture and drum into people's heads the information but wilful ignorance is wilful ignorance. You cannot cure terminal stupid and frankly, I'm done being patient, with being polite, with being calm and courteous while explaining or debating this topic. I am more inclined now to tell someone to fuck off and get out of my face with their anti-va/masking crap than remain polite.

You can feel that way but I would tell you to fuck off! I'm married to a GP and her father is a rheumatologist so if they disagree with me they can tell me to fuck off as they have more credentials to do so.

You can feel that way but I would tell you to fuck off! I'm married to a GP and her father is a rheumatologist so if they disagree with me they can tell me to fuck off as they have more credentials to do so.

I really don't care. I'm a nurse. (And you can pull rank all you want to... whether it's true or not... frankly I don't give a shit.) You want to come and work first hand with Covid patients in hospital during the time when the numbers were putting people in makeshift wards in bloody tents in parking garages and parking lots?? Because let me tell you, the REALITY of covid is not pretty, it will NEVER be pretty and many of those who are having to live with Long Covid have horrendous daily lives. So yeah, you can tell me to fuck off and brag about your GP spouse and father-in-law but that doesn't put you in the actual reality of those dealing with Covid. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Cerridwen said:

I really don't care. I'm a nurse. (And you can pull rank all you want to... whether it's true or not... frankly I don't give a shit.) You want to come and work first hand with Covid patients in hospital during the time when the numbers were putting people in makeshift wards in bloody tents in parking garages and parking lots?? Because let me tell you, the REALITY of covid is not pretty, it will NEVER be pretty and many of those who are having to live with Long Covid have horrendous daily lives. So yeah, you can tell me to fuck off and brag about your GP spouse and father-in-law but that doesn't put you in the actual reality of those dealing with Covid. 

I don't think I was bragging about anything and ftr I have mad respect for nurses! Do all the heavy lifting, over worked and will never be paid enough. That being said, a virus that has a death rate of less than 1% and a vaccine that doesn't even stop the virus should not be reason enough to have a vaccine forced on me. That's my position. I've respected your position. However, it's quite clear you don't respect the position of those that want to forgo a vaccine. And I find that concerning that there is a number of people like yourself that want to take away people's freedom of choice.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think I was bragging about anything and ftr I have mad respect for nurses! Do all the heavy lifting, over worked and will never be paid enough. That being said, a virus that has a death rate of less than 1% and a vaccine that doesn't even stop the virus should not be reason enough to have a vaccine forced on me. That's my position. I've respected your position. However, it's quite clear you don't respect the position of those that want to forgo a vaccine. And I find that concerning that there is a number of people like yourself that want to take away people's freedom of choice.

Alberta - province where FreeDumb prospers......

• Like 1