Vaccine thread

Gurn

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well we don't have pennies. So it's at least a nickel for thoughts.

But given inflation. (No I don't blame him for that, pretty sure record profits from oil and food companies account for that.)

That's part of it, but for me, the two biggest factors are the Pandemic and the war in Ukraine....

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just curious G, why do you hate Trudeau?

I'm not particularly a fan and have never voted for him, but I certainly don't see any reason to hate him....:classic_unsure:

Most Canadians hate the narcissist PM who refuses to walk away for the good of his party and country.

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Most Canadians hate the narcissist PM who refuses to walk away for the good of his party and country.

If you say so.....personally I don't "hate" very many politicians....

Putin, Trump, Erdogan, Xi, Orban, Assad.....it's a pretty exclusive group for me.....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If you say so.....personally I don't "hate" very many politicians....

Putin, Trump, Erdogan, Xi, Orban, Assad.....it's a pretty exclusive group for me.....

Trudeau has pissed off a lot of Canadians.

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, bolt said:

Same with me

Putin, Xi, Assad,Trudeau

Not everyone has your same biases.  

Which one do you think I'm "biased" about? Trump?

That would be pretty ironic, considering you including Trudeau on your list.....:classic_wacko:

55 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Which one do you think I'm "biased" about? Trump?

That would be pretty ironic, considering you including Trudeau on your list.....:classic_wacko:

Yes I admit my bias. Do you admit yours?

Those f-35s were originally improperly tendered by Harper, then won an actual competition-unfortunately.

Was a very good opportunity to get/build back a domestic fighter/attack plane. ohh well.

On 7/3/2024 at 8:21 AM, Whorvat said:

'A launched attack'. Probably feels that way when any outside voices make it into your echo chamber circle jerk, understandable. That is such a victim mentality perspective to take.

On topic, and in response to Bob Long, I'm in the medical industry, have been a long time. Its where I realized that being a doctor is purely, 100% a business first and foremost. Vast majority of doctors are not in it for helping people, rather the financial gains that come with. Have witnessed this first hand on so many occasions over the past 13 years, where a physician will tailor their 'care' around what their pharmaceutical rep will supply them with. 

It has nothing to do with freedom anything. The only reason to go to a physician, IMO, is if you have a broken bone, need stitches, or know that a specific medication is what you need for your daily, even then I'd be skeptical about what sort of kick backs they're getting for prescribing said medication. Outside of that, I would not trust any doctor to be looking out for my well being.

This is my experience with interacting with over 15,000 physicians in the past 13 years

Russian doctors practice differently especially under a bridge I would imagine. 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's all over the place, cancel the F-35, oh let's buy the F-35. Support the environment. Buys a pipeline (jobs).

He seems more focused on being popular even to his adversaries, than just taking a track and sticking to it.

Support Ukraine (Good). Won't keep the 2% of GDP on military budget. (What are we sending to Ukraine then?)

Just my 2 cents. With inflation it's probably a dime.

Totally respect your opinion on the PM, i happen to like him but it may be that he is past his best buy date, the voters will certainly decide by the looks of it in 15 months. 

Just a note on the F-35's that were 'cancelled': the deal was not one that followed proper procedures for buying billions worth of military infrastructure, and in the end we got a better deal by allowing the procurement process to play out with competitive bidding. on pipelines: the PM has a duty to all Canadians, including Albertans in the Oil and Gas sector. Contrary to the narrative being put out by P.P. and the Albertan Premier, the Federal Liberals do not hate Alberta. Buying the pipeline was the only way to secure its doubling of capacity and eliminating tractor trailer and train delivery of the oil and gas products from Alberta to the shores of BC for shipping around the globe. Compromise as it were. Lastly, Canada has NEVER met the 2% commitment to Nato. I am a veteran and politically active so this is in my wheel house. Under Harper we were down around 1.13% of GDP, under Trudeau we have steadily risen to 1.79% of GDP committed now, and plans to get the final 0.21% of GDP by 2032. 
that is all i got, but I get it, hating Trudeau seems in vogue at the moment, but for me the only alternative to the PM job is Pierre Poilievre who would be much worse for 80% of Canadians than the current one. 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Totally respect your opinion on the PM, i happen to like him but it may be that he is past his best buy date, the voters will certainly decide by the looks of it in 15 months. 

Just a note on the F-35's that were 'cancelled': the deal was not one that followed proper procedures for buying billions worth of military infrastructure, and in the end we got a better deal by allowing the procurement process to play out with competitive bidding. on pipelines: the PM has a duty to all Canadians, including Albertans in the Oil and Gas sector. Contrary to the narrative being put out by P.P. and the Albertan Premier, the Federal Liberals do not hate Alberta. Buying the pipeline was the only way to secure its doubling of capacity and eliminating tractor trailer and train delivery of the oil and gas products from Alberta to the shores of BC for shipping around the globe. Compromise as it were. Lastly, Canada has NEVER met the 2% commitment to Nato. I am a veteran and politically active so this is in my wheel house. Under Harper we were down around 1.13% of GDP, under Trudeau we have steadily risen to 1.79% of GDP committed now, and plans to get the final 0.21% of GDP by 2032. 
that is all i got, but I get it, hating Trudeau seems in vogue at the moment, but for me the only alternative to the PM job is Pierre Poilievre who would be much worse for 80% of Canadians than the current one. 

Despite my misgivings of Trudeau, PP actually looks like a disaster, because his only real platform is "But Trudeau!". The fact he's sucking up to Evangelicals is the worst.

• ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Politics isn't fair, sometimes doing that right thing gets you nothing, or worse, you lose votes. AB is a perfect example, Trudeau succeed where Harper failed miserably by getting ab a pipeline to the coast, and everyone seems to hate him for it. 

Trudeau has reached his due date, not because he's worse than PP or Jag, but because us fickle voters get tired of the pm after a decade. He also owns his share of gaffes. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Despite my misgivings of Trudeau, PP actually looks like a disaster, because his only real platform is "But Trudeau!". The fact he's sucking up to Evangelicals is the worst.

Oh, the 'Jesus will save me' plan for the next pandemic seems unsound to you?

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2024 at 3:41 PM, Gurn said:

I'm not sure that I like how this is framed, nor am I positive about the source- so be warned. Also there is a word in the text that could be missed,  so I will put a very important word in large letters-

" could "

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/deadly-bird-flu-could-be-worse-than-covid-as-global-officials-urged-to-act-now-to-save-humanity/ar-BB1orSzU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5999046290bb47898c34126bfe181469&ei=56

"

Despite the severity of COVID-19 and its seering effects that have been felt for several years, a medical expert suggested that a bird flu pandemic would have a much worse for humanity.

Knewz.com has learned that the global fatality rate for COVID-19 was 1.4%, while the fatality rate for the H5N1 avian influenza is approximately 52%.

An expert has claimed that there is potential for bird flu to successfully adapt and become capable of human-to-human transmission.

Dr. Leonard A. Mermel, the professor of medicine at Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and the medical director of the Department of Epidemiology & Infection Prevention at Lifespan Healthcare System, has expressed concerns that the disease could infiltrate humans through cows and subsequently make mankind the carrier of the virus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 more paragraphs at link

----------------------------

I do note the alarming "Knewz.com has learned that the global fatality rate for COVID-19 was 1.4%, while the fatality rate for the H5N1 avian influenza is approximately 52%."

and point out- sample size is extremely important here- as is the tendency(so far) of viruses to mutate and become less deadly. Also transmission of 'bird flu' is, as of now, not human to human.

I'd suggest that the governments look at this as a warning-and do some prep, using lessons from our recent pandemic.

An update:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/bird-flu-scare-escalates-as-virus-jumps-to-humans-and-dairy-cows/ar-BB1q2mQB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4a6d5c56059f431689829782940b4da9&ei=20

"

The bird flu virus, known primarily for its prevalence among avian species, has made an alarming leap to dairy cows and humans in the United States.

Knewz.com has learned that the pathogen in its original form was only detected recently but already has the scientific world on edge.

The reason for the latter is the recent reports of four poultry workers in Colorado being diagnosed with the disease bringing the total number of infected Americans to nine—eight of whom hail from said state.

All diagnosed cases are noted to be relatively mild with “reddened and irritated eyes and common respiratory infection symptoms like fever, chills, coughing, sore throat, and runny nose,” and the tests for a fifth person are yet to be released.

The findings of a separate study have indicated that the “highly pathogenic” avian flu has adapted to dairy cows.

------------------- 

a lot more at link.

On 7/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, RupertKBD said:

Just curious G, why do you hate Trudeau?

I'm not particularly a fan and have never voted for him, but I certainly don't see any reason to hate him....:classic_unsure:

I am butting in but I hate anyone that continues to be employed for something I would get fired for.

Call it bias, call it jealousy I HATE it. I can't stand when our top ranked officials are held to a lower standard than I am.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

I am butting in but I hate anyone that continues to be employed for something I would get fired for.

Call it bias, call it jealousy I HATE it. I can't stand when our top ranked officials are held to a lower standard than I am.

To be fair every single politician would be fired at most of our workplaces for the stunts they pull

truduea and PP however are good candidates to have their mittens pinned to their jackets and be sent for remedial behavior training .... 

14 minutes ago, Sapper said:

To be fair every single politician would be fired at most of our workplaces for the stunts they pull

truduea and PP however are good candidates to have their mittens pinned to their jackets and be sent for remedial behavior training .... 

Exactly. That's why I hate them. PP just isn't PM so that's probably all it is.

Isn't so sad though? Again if I pulled the same stunts JT did I would never work again. If my excuse was it was OK because everyone else does it too: I'd still get canned.

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Exactly. That's why I hate them. PP just isn't PM so that's probably all it is.

Isn't so sad though? Again if I pulled the same stunts JT did I would never work again. If my excuse was it was OK because everyone else does it too: I'd still get canned.

Back a century ago Henry Ford was asked about outsourcing and said he would never have Any man working on his vehicles that didn't directly work for him ..... Full control of the entire process is key

In many ways politicians need to remind themselves of that.

Leadership is defined as the art of influencing human behavior in such a manner as to complete the mission in a manner desired by the leader.

It's fair to say not one of our government party leaders passes that test ...... Government should have to produce at the same level as the lowest level employee in the company..... And adhere to the same conduct rules

• Like 2

COVID-19 public health emergency in B.C. declared over

All remaining restrictions, including vaccination requirement for health-care workers, are being rescinded

British Columbia's top doctor says she is ending the public health emergency that was declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. 

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says any remaining restrictions, including the vaccination requirement for health-care workers, are being rescinded.

Henry says after reviewing all the data she is confident the province has reached the point where there is no longer a need for the public health emergency and all requirements that remain can be lifted. 

She says wastewater indicators and testing data show COVID-19 has levelled off and the number of people in intensive care and in hospitals is lower and stable.

Henry says the level of protection provided by vaccines and hybrid immunity is also helping to protect the population. 

Health Minister Adrian Dix says health workers fired due to previous orders can apply to fill available positions, although they must provide their immune status for certain pathogens, including COVID-19. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-s-top-doctor-ends-covid-19-public-health-emergency-1.7276698

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

COVID-19 public health emergency in B.C. declared over

All remaining restrictions, including vaccination requirement for health-care workers, are being rescinded

British Columbia's top doctor says she is ending the public health emergency that was declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. 

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says any remaining restrictions, including the vaccination requirement for health-care workers, are being rescinded.

Henry says after reviewing all the data she is confident the province has reached the point where there is no longer a need for the public health emergency and all requirements that remain can be lifted. 

She says wastewater indicators and testing data show COVID-19 has levelled off and the number of people in intensive care and in hospitals is lower and stable.

Henry says the level of protection provided by vaccines and hybrid immunity is also helping to protect the population. 

Health Minister Adrian Dix says health workers fired due to previous orders can apply to fill available positions, although they must provide their immune status for certain pathogens, including COVID-19. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-s-top-doctor-ends-covid-19-public-health-emergency-1.7276698

Finally joined the rest of the world.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1