Notable Passings

Gurn

In William A. Anders 1968 photo, shot from space, the gray cratered surface of the moon appears in the foreground as the blue marble of the Earth, half hidden in the darkness of space that surrounds it, rises in the distance.

William A. Anders said of his journey around the moon: “Here we came all the way to the moon to discover Earth.”

Maj. William A. Anders, who flew on the first manned space mission to orbit the moon, the Apollo 8 “Genesis flight” of Christmas Eve 1968, and took the color photograph “Earthrise,” which is credited with inspiring the modern environmental movement, died on Friday morning when a small plane he was piloting alone dived into the water near Roche Harbor, Wa., northwest of Seattle. He was 90.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/07/science/william-a-anders-dead.html

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

In William A. Anders 1968 photo, shot from space, the gray cratered surface of the moon appears in the foreground as the blue marble of the Earth, half hidden in the darkness of space that surrounds it, rises in the distance.

William A. Anders said of his journey around the moon: “Here we came all the way to the moon to discover Earth.”

Maj. William A. Anders, who flew on the first manned space mission to orbit the moon, the Apollo 8 “Genesis flight” of Christmas Eve 1968, and took the color photograph “Earthrise,” which is credited with inspiring the modern environmental movement, died on Friday morning when a small plane he was piloting alone dived into the water near Roche Harbor, Wa., northwest of Seattle. He was 90.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/07/science/william-a-anders-dead.html

90 and still flying.  Legend.

RIP

• Cheers 2

RIP Jerry

The logo has passed away.  HOF player and soon to be HOF contributor.  The first person to be in the HOF as both a player and a contributor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-legend-jerry-west-dies-at-age-86-134646038.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGB_TIsM217rsRrnvXBoKC3Rv0C6fRHp3Q_f8YpjKes--A3BCsxvdu8bAgRxiE85QKsc0j127vYSGTSV6a5fIxwOfNuloB_DKgsrCGRC05w0JdHqytj9bYKDmKv3x4TU2WUZ4G1Ht8RKlW67jjpsLpclSTZQjzOlfvL5d3cmtB0m

NBA legend Jerry West dies at age 86

Jerry West, the inspiration for the NBA's logo, died peacefully at his home at the age of 86, the Los Angeles Clippers announced Wednesday.

One of basketball's most accomplished contributors, West was a staple of the sport across eight decades, winning nine championships as a player, scout, coach, executive and consultant. He was an architect of the Los Angeles Lakers' 10 titles in the 1980s and 2000s and an adviser to the dynastic Golden State Warriors.

Long before West established himself as arguably the greatest general manager in NBA history, he was among the league's first superstars. A legend of West Virginia high school and college basketball and co-captain of the 1960 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team, West made the All-Star Game each season of a 14-year career decorated with 12 All-NBA selections and five All-Defensive appearances, all for the Lakers.

He won a single title in nine trips to the NBA Finals, heartbreakingly losing six title series to Bill Russell's Boston Celtics, and West's Finals MVP award in 1969 remains the only time the honor has been bestowed on a member of the losing team. He averaged 37.9 points per game in a seven-game loss to the Celtics.

“He took a loss harder than any player I’ve ever known,” late and legendary Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn once said of West. “He would sit by himself and stare into space. A loss just ripped his guts out.”

A trailblazing scoring guard and relentless competitor, West was a deadly shooter before the advent of the 3-point line, and his most famous shot came in the form of a 60-foot buzzer beater that sent Game 3 of the 1970 Finals into overtime against the New York Knicks. He joined Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson as the league's first 25,000-point scorers. West averaged 27 points, 6.7 points and 5.8 rebounds for his career.

"Jerry West was a basketball genius and a defining figure in our league for more than 60 years," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said. "He distinguished himself not only as an NBA champion and an All-Star in all 14 of his playing seasons, but also as a consummate competitor who embraced the biggest moments. He was the league’s first Finals MVP and made rising to the occasion his signature quality."

The late Hot Rod Hundley once described his fellow West Virginian and Lakers teammate as "the greatest competitor I've ever seen. I don't care what you're playing, he wants to win. His nickname was 'Mr. Clutch,' and he carried that moniker well, because every time we were in that situation, boom, he'd make that shot."

West's pursuit of perfection led him to unprecedented success as a decision-maker in NBA front offices, twice winning Executive of the Year honors. First as a scout and then as GM, he helped construct the five-time champion "Showtime" Lakers of the 1980s. Before leaving the Lakers in 2000, West signed Shaquille O'Neal and traded for Kobe Bryant's draft rights, laying the foundation for another five titles from 2000-10.

West spent five seasons running the Memphis Grizzlies before retiring as a full-time shot-caller at the age of 69 in 2007. He joined the Golden State Warriors as an executive board member in 2011, famously opposing a would-be 2014 trade of Klay Thompson for Kevin Love and recruiting Kevin Durant in the 2016 offseason. West left the Warriors after the second of their four championships in 2017 and joined the L.A. Clippers in the same capacity, contributing to the recruitment of Kawhi Leonard and trade for Paul George in July 2019.

West will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in October as a contributor, making him the first person to be enshrined as both a player and a contributor. He was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2019.

“Obviously, a great icon for the basketball world,” Mavericks center Daniel Gafford said Wednesday at Dallas’ shootaround before Game 3 of the 2024 NBA Finals. “You know, never really just knew too much about him, but just knew what he meant to the game of basketball, and of course, he’s our logo — you know, we see him every day. Just rest in peace to him, and we’ll always be in remembrance of somebody that just had so much of an impact on the basketball world.”

West's personal life was not as charmed as his basketball career. The son of a West Virginia coal mine electrician, he endured a troubled childhood haunted by the 1951 death of his older brother in the Korean War. West served as a mental health advocate in his later years, sharing his lifelong battle with depression in a New York Times best-selling 2011 memoir titled, "West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life."

"The greatest honor a man can have is the respect and friendship of his peers. You have that more than any man I know," Russell told The Forum crowd on "Jerry West Night" in 1972. "Jerry, you are, in every sense of the word, truly a champion. If I could have one wish granted, it would be that you would always be happy."

One of West's five children, Jerry, is currently a professional scout for the Detroit Pistons.

• Thanks 1

Baseball icon Willie Mays, one of the game’s most electrifying and complete players, has died at 93

In 23 major league seasons, mostly with the New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants, he finished with 660 career home runs – then the second most behind legend Babe Ruth.

Mays led the National League in home runs and steals in four seasons and in slugging five times.  He hit over .300 ten times and had a career average of .302.

The speedy center fielder also was as dominant in the field as he was at the plate, winning 12 Gold Gloves.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/18/sport/willie-mays-dies/index.html

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Baseball icon Willie Mays, one of the game’s most electrifying and complete players, has died at 93

In 23 major league seasons, mostly with the New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants, he finished with 660 career home runs – then the second most behind legend Babe Ruth.

Mays led the National League in home runs and steals in four seasons and in slugging five times.  He hit over .300 ten times and had a career average of .302.

The speedy center fielder also was as dominant in the field as he was at the plate, winning 12 Gold Gloves.

Legend. Should have been #1 and is actually. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I remember trying to perfect the Willie Mays basket catch as a Little Leaguer. How many times did we watch Willie drop in from center field with his glove at waist level and catch a fly. Aaron, Mantle, Marris,Yogi, Drysdale were all greats but it was Willie who stayed with me. 

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/kareem-abdul-jabbar-on-willie-mays-passing-i-wanted-to-be-willie-mays-great-in-nba-career/ar-BB1oxmJ1?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa5319d4defd4f959d6016abea70ff0e&ei=63

"

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Willie Mays are two of the greatest players to have played their respective sports.

And whether he knew it or not, the late "Say Hey Kid" was a driving inspiration in Abdul-Jabbar becoming the six-time NBA Champion and NBA Most Valuable Player that he ended up being.

""When I was a kid, baseball was my first love and Willie Mays was the reason for that. He made impossible catches and plays that made me believe he could walk on water if he really tried. The true testament to his greatness for me as a kid was that I deeply admired him even though I was a Dodgers fan and he played for the rival Giants. To me, Willie was a one-man game," Abdul-Jabbar said on X. "Later, when I played basketball, I would recall amazing plays that he made and that inspired me to push myself to be more like him. I didn't just want to be great, I wanted to be Willie-Mays great!"

... I am at a point in my life where I want to spend less time mourning the deaths of my friends and heroes and more time celebrating their lives. As one of the first Black professional baseball players, Willie Mays endured unimaginable hardships. Because of him, I was able to pursue my own sports career and live a better life. Every Black athlete owns him a debt of gratitude. We walk an easier path because he cleared it for us. Even in passing, Willie has left me with so many wonderful and joyous memories that I can't help but smile and be grateful."

---------------------

a little more at link.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/

200 acting credits

3 producer

2 writer

-----------------------------------

started with  a 1962 appearance in a tv show called Studio 4 and his last bit of acting is still to be released, in a show called Heart Land

also was the son in law of Tommy Douglass

Among the truly great Canadian actors and the voice of a storyteller. I’ll never forget his reading a piece from W.O. Mitchell in the opening ceremonies for the Vancouver Olympics. The reading opened the part with the young flyer (can’t recall his name) walking through a Canadian wheat field before taking flight to Joni Mitchell’s Clouds. Spellbinding!

It was WO Mitchell that Donald Sutherland quoted as a part of the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics:

"I would walk to the end of the street and over the prairie with the clickety grasshoppers bunging in arcs ahead of me, and I could hear the hum and twang of wind in the great prairie harp of telephone wires. Standing there with the total thrust of prairie sun on my vulnerable head, I guess I learned - at a very young age - that I was mortal. "

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/

200 acting credits

3 producer

2 writer

-----------------------------------

started with  a 1962 appearance in a tv show called Studio 4 and his last bit of acting is still to be released, in a show called Heart Land

also was the son in law of Tommy Douglass

I often hoped or thought he might get into Canadian Politics..

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/james-k-irving-dead-at-96/ar-BB1oFyqG?bncnt=BroadcastNews_BreakingNews&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=fcc0c898521a4ceb83ea68afd5ca7cbf&ei=20

James K. Irving died peacefully Friday in Saint John, the release said.

He was the son of Irving patriarch K.C. Irving, who died in 1992, the industrialist who turned a single gas station and sawmill into a family-controlled business conglomerate, making him and his three sons among Canada's wealthiest businessmen.

That business, based in Saint John, includes forestry, energy, agriculture, transportation, retail, food, construction and shipbuilding, its website says. It was founded in 1882 and operates in Canada and the United States. 

-------------------------------

bit more at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/other/martin-mull-hip-comic-and-actor-from-fernwood-2-night-and-roseanne-dies-at-80/ar-BB1p5Jbg?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c8479ed8fa344285b8131a217cb2173a&ei=15

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Martin Mull, whose droll, esoteric comedy and acting made him a hip sensation in the 1970s and later a beloved guest star on sitcoms including “Roseanne” and “Arrested Development,” has died, his daughter said Friday.

Mull's Daughter, TV writer and comic artist Maggie Mull, said her father died at home on Thursday after “a valiant fight against a long illness.”

Mull, who was also a guitarist and painter, came to national fame with a recurring role on the Norman Lear-created satirical soap opera “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,” and the starring role in its spinoff, “Fernwood 2 Night,” on which he played the host of a satirical talk show.

“He was known for excelling at every creative discipline imaginable and also for doing Red Roof Inn commercials,” Maggie Mull said in an Instagram post. “He would find that joke funny. He was never not funny. My dad will be deeply missed by his wife and daughter, by his friends and coworkers, by fellow artists and comedians and musicians, and—the sign of a truly exceptional person—by many, many dogs.”

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shelley Duvall, star of ‘The Shining,’ dead at 75

Shelley Duvall, best known for her roles in “The Shining” and several acclaimed Robert Altman films, has died, according to reports, citing a family spokesperson and her longtime partner.

She was 75.

Duvall died in her sleep at their home in Blanco, Texas of complications of diabetes, Dan Gilroy, her life partner of more than 30 years, told The Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/entertainment/shelley-duvall-death/index.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Shelley Duvall, star of ‘The Shining,’ dead at 75

Shelley Duvall, best known for her roles in “The Shining” and several acclaimed Robert Altman films, has died, according to reports, citing a family spokesperson and her longtime partner.

She was 75.

Duvall died in her sleep at their home in Blanco, Texas of complications of diabetes, Dan Gilroy, her life partner of more than 30 years, told The Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/11/entertainment/shelley-duvall-death/index.html

e7e72d9a_749f_4fc0_b201_4a28572cabe8.webp.914c8376f53ee0983ef48d06fc718fc8.webp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1