[GDT] Around the NHL [March 2024]

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder what the record for quickest NHL suspension is, Rempe might get it at this rate 

He might also become an NHL head of cabbage at this rate too, even in today's NHL level of fighting.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder what the record for quickest NHL suspension is, Rempe might get it at this rate 

The guy is a menace.  He has the potential to ruin careers.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

He might also become an NHL head of cabbage at this rate too, even in today's NHL level of fighting.

Yeaaaah, he needs to slow down with that

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I haven't been impressed by some of his hits, for sure

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

Watching a bit of the Blues clobbering the Ruins. Chose the Boston feed. Just incredible how absolutely awful their broadcast team is.

Putting aside their renowned homerism (which is in play here today), they just do a lousy job. If you close your eyes, it is hard to envision what is going on.  They don't tell you what is going on very often, it's just a bunch of names.  There is a lot of dead air, too (a blessing, considering his nasal whiny voice). They sound very bored,  even before the Blues put the boots to the Bruins.

It's a bit weird that you'd listen to the NESN feed and conclude it to be "awful homerism", rather than have some legitimate concern over Jack Edwards' health.  For what it's worth, he simply doesn't sound well, and I think it's unfair to hate on someone given his current circumstances.  I noticed it the first Bruins-Canucks game and I think @GrammaInTheTub noticed it during the second.  

2 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

56 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeaaaah, he needs to slow down with that

I haven't been impressed by some of his hits, for sure

This is the third time he's gone directly after someone's head (all concussions), and this one's the worst - he not only did a full chicken wing with his elbow, he even taunted MacDermid after that dirty-ass hit.  

Like, this entire sequence is unacceptable.  The extremely dirty hit.  Refusing to answer the bell.  Taunting/waving after the hit.  Fuck Matt Rempe.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It's a bit weird that you'd listen to the NESN feed and conclude it to be "awful homerism", rather than have some legitimate concern over Jack Edwards' health.  For what it's worth, he simply doesn't sound well, and I think it's unfair to hate on someone given his current circumstances.  I noticed it the first Bruins-Canucks game and I think @GrammaInTheTub noticed it during the second.  

I put on NESN cuz while I've never liked the Bruins crew, the Blues one is far worse and really grates on me. While Bruins crew might be in my bottom 5, Blues are bottom 2. I try not to listen to either. My dislike for the Bruins crew goes back years.

The awful homerism today was trying to argue the disallowed goal a full period (IIRC) after it happened using selective interpretation of offsides rules. That had nothing to do with his health.

As I don't follow the Bruins, I'm not generally aware of Edwards' health issues. Your post helps me recall mention of it sometime before here on CFF, but it had escaped me when I was commenting earlier.  That said, if he is suffering that much, maybe he shouldn't be there.

He doesn't sound well. Not listening to them much, I can't say whether the quality of the play by play is worse (as opposed to his strength of voice).

I would think that if the quality of his performance was so drastically lacking to his past efforts, it might be time to hang up the mic rather than plow through and give Bruin fans a lackluster show like today.

46 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I put on NESN cuz while I've never liked the Bruins crew, the Blues one is far worse and really grates on me. While Bruins crew might be in my bottom 5, Blues are bottom 2. I try not to listen to either. My dislike for the Bruins crew goes back years.

The awful homerism today was trying to argue the disallowed goal a full period (IIRC) after it happened using selective interpretation of offsides rules. That had nothing to do with his health.

As I don't follow the Bruins, I'm not generally aware of Edwards' health issues. Your post helps me recall mention of it sometime before here on CFF, but it had escaped me when I was commenting earlier.  That said, if he is suffering that much, maybe he shouldn't be there.

He doesn't sound well. Not listening to them much, I can't say whether the quality of the play by play is worse (as opposed to his strength of voice).

I would think that if the quality of his performance was so drastically lacking to his past efforts, it might be time to hang up the mic rather than plow through and give Bruin fans a lackluster show like today.

At the end of the day, it's NESN - the only people watching this on cable are people from the Boston area.  Edwards said he got checked by Harvard doctors and was fortunately given a clean bill of health (no sign of cancer/stroke), but he himself can't identify what the problem is.  But he is receiving speech therapy.  If the Bruins fanbase wants to show their support because they love Edwards, let them.  I think it you're taking it too far by criticizing him the way you are right now.  It's a commendable thing for a fanbase to support their ailing commentator - we see it in sports all the time. 

For sure, they are putting up with some really rough play-by-play.  I mentioned watching the Bruins-Canucks game how he struggled to get out the word "Canucks" and stressed the "CA" instead of the "NUCKS" (eg. CAnucks).  Compare Edwards in the past to what he is now.  He was always the biggest homer of them all, but he had a literal theatrical flair to his commenting style (the kind you'd see on Broadway) unlike anyone else in hockey.  But most importantly, he could keep up with the play.

Compare that to recently against the Flames...

Now, you tell me - did Edwards sound better or worse tonight compared to that Kuzmenko goal a few weeks back?

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This is the third time he's gone directly after someone's head (all concussions), and this one's the worst - he not only did a full chicken wing with his elbow, he even taunted MacDermid after that dirty-ass hit.  

Like, this entire sequence is unacceptable.  The extremely dirty hit.  Refusing to answer the bell.  Taunting/waving after the hit.  Fuck Matt Rempe.

Yup, sooner or later he's gonna end a career if he doesn't smarten up

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

At the end of the day, it's NESN - the only people watching this on cable are people from the Boston area.  Edwards said he got checked by Harvard doctors and was fortunately given a clean bill of health (no sign of cancer/stroke), but he himself can't identify what the problem is.  But he is receiving speech therapy.  If the Bruins fanbase wants to show their support because they love Edwards, let them.  I think it you're taking it too far by criticizing him the way you are right now.  It's a commendable thing for a fanbase to support their ailing commentator - we see it in sports all the time. 

For sure, they are putting up with some really rough play-by-play.  I mentioned watching the Bruins-Canucks game how he struggled to get out the word "Canucks" and stressed the "CA" instead of the "NUCKS" (eg. CAnucks).  Compare Edwards in the past to what he is now.  He was always the biggest homer of them all, but he had a literal theatrical flair to his commenting style (the kind you'd see on Broadway) unlike anyone else in hockey.  But most importantly, he could keep up with the play.

Compare that to recently against the Flames...

Now, you tell me - did Edwards sound better or worse tonight compared to that Kuzmenko goal a few weeks back?

Last night was pretty comparable to Kuzy's goal. Perhaps even better (therapy working perhaps, or maybe I'm tired and don't recall everything from what I heard last night) That was truly scary in the Calgary game. I can see where the stroke concerns were, for sure.

The call there for the Flyers is quite impressive, showing a good level of excitement despite the opposition scoring. Not all announcers do that.

It's still fair to criticize his playcalling now. If NESN and the fans are happy to give him the leeway to recover while still calling games despite the poor quality, so be it, that's their choice. I think if it were me, I would step away until I could do a decent job.

Reminds me of my parents talking about Bobby Orr. They saw one of his last games, and those painful images stand out in their memories. Orr was obviously beyond amazing in his heyday, but to see him struggle to like he did at the end leaves a lasting impression. It tarnishes the appeal for them, while for me and most here, we see him in that iconic photo he's most known for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Good for him tbh

Always been a solid netminder in short bursts.  He played his way into a backup role with us and only died when he had to become the starter.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Always been a solid netminder in short bursts.  He played his way into a backup role with us and only died when he had to become the starter.

Basically, he's a backup who actually seems to perform better after sitting for a while

He's just fine as a backup but struggles as a starter, though in all fairness we were pretty abysmal defensively in front of him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

what; More gambling?  🙃

Sure, why not? Let's go back to Atlanta, so they can fail a 3rd time. :classic_rolleyes:

Meanwhile the company that owns the Jazz wants a franchise...... and Kansas City doesn't have a basketball team.....

15 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Edwards hasn't conducted himself like a professional once over his entire career.  It's sad what he's going through, but that doesn't mean that we should be pretending he is anything other than a disgrace to the sport.

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sure, why not? Let's go back to Atlanta, so they can fail a 3rd time. :classic_rolleyes:

Meanwhile the company that owns the Jazz wants a franchise...... and Kansas City doesn't have a basketball team.....

That's the same thing I was thinking right away.  

• Cheers 1