[GDT] Around the NHL [March 2024]

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Reminds me of Hank 

For real, it's nuts how much of this sort of thing we got to watch over the years, the twins hockey IQ's were off the charts

• MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Shit! I'd forgotten that horn and how long it took us to get past it!

Pfft the horn is whatever.  It was always the Chelsea Dagger that got me.  I can't think of a goal song more annoying and obnoxious than that one.  I'm jealous of it, actually - it's a perfect song to drive opponents and opponents' fans batshit crazy.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Yzerboy should be canned if they fail to make the playoffs again.

There is no thought of getting rid of Yzerman should the Red Wings fail.  Just like the collapse of the Penguins, it cannot be overstated how much the previous GM (Ken Holland) ruined the team.  The prospect cupboard was completely empty.  Stevie took on a disaster project and has finally turned the entire roster over.  Much of his depth picks are still in development but there are plenty of guys poised to make the jump soon.  Now, there are some clear misplays on guys like Holl, Copp, and Kostin.  And with Larkin out all March, it's clear the team lacks a legitimate 2C (Veleno and Compher are not it).  But most Wings fans are pretty satisfied with the work that Yzerman has done.

The same cannot be said for Derek Lalonde.  Maybe he's being scapegoated or maybe it really is his fault.  But this is a pretty big choke job by Detroit and a lot of blame is falling on his shoulders.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Yzerboy should be canned if they fail to make the playoffs again.

I think people don't understand how hard it is to build a team from scratch. Buffalo, and Ottawa are learning it takes more than a few drafts at the bottom to even get playoff ready. Especially in a 32 team league. I feel sorry for San Jose that's going to take probably 6-7 years before it gets enough pieces to get competitive.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

There is no thought of getting rid of Yzerman should the Red Wings fail.  Just like the collapse of the Penguins, it cannot be overstated how much the previous GM (Ken Holland) ruined the team.  The prospect cupboard was completely empty.  Stevie took on a disaster project and has finally turned the entire roster over.  Much of his depth picks are still in development but there are plenty of guys poised to make the jump soon.  Now, there are some clear misplays on guys like Holl, Copp, and Kostin.  And with Larkin out all March, it's clear the team lacks a legitimate 2C (Veleno and Compher are not it).  But most Wings fans are pretty satisfied with the work that Yzerman has done.

The same cannot be said for Derek Lalonde.  Maybe he's being scapegoated or maybe it really is his fault.  But this is a pretty big choke job by Detroit and a lot of blame is falling on his shoulders.

I have to agree with this, all of it. Wife's a big Red Wings fan, so been watching and following them quite a bit this season. I think they start making playoff appearances again next year, lots of youth on the cusp of turning that team around.

I was just saying yesterday that I don't think Lalonde is the coach to get them there right now (prediction: he'll top out with them as a 7th/8th seed next year, then get fired during the 2025-26 season after some minor regression). Reminds me of Green, just a lack of focus and a cohesive identity. They all play as individuals, not so much a team. Mo is a great defenseman, could certainly be a successful no. 1 guy if they support him appropriately. Raymond needs to round out his game and mature a bit, he's a bit of a whiney diva (though a certainly talented diva). As it currently stands they live and die by Larkin; great leader that knows how to drag them into a fight. No coincidence that they've cratered since his injury. But they're gonna need to find their Tocchet, even if it takes a Boudreau to shake things up in the interim.

Like Green, I think Lalonde could be a great coach down the road. He's had success as a head coach in the ECHL, spent a little time in the A, and has been part of a cup winning team in Tampa Bay. I think he knows what a strong team looks like, just might need some lessons that are only learned via failure to open his eyes as to how to effectively relay his vision to his players. I think he's still too soft on guys, wants to be their friend when what they really need is firm guidance. Someone to tell them shortcuts and funny dances are for pretenders, not serious athletes. He looks like a bloody gargoyle, he could scare the shit out of anyone if he had the temperament. He'll do better with his next team, as long as the management is competent.

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

So, this is a coaching issue then? 

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think people don't understand how hard it is to build a team from scratch. Buffalo, and Ottawa are learning it takes more than a few drafts at the bottom to even get playoff ready. Especially in a 32 team league. I feel sorry for San Jose that's going to take probably 6-7 years before it gets enough pieces to get competitive.

Well, San Jose will probably get Celebrini, so that’s a start.

18 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Well, San Jose will probably get Celebrini, so that’s a start.

They also get Pittsburgh's first round pick this year.  😏

20 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

So, this is a coaching issue then? 

It's hard to really pinpoint what's gone wrong with Detroit this March, but it obviously has to do with Larkin being out of the lineup during this skid.  Is it acceptable for a team to falter this badly because one guy is injured?  No.  Does that blame fall squarely on any one person's shoulders?  No.  Is it the final straw for Steve Yzerman?  Definitely no.

Canucks fans can sympathize with a cratering PDO:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd guess a few of McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Hughes, Matthews, and Tkachuk for forwards, maybe Panarin and Crosby, maybe Bedard but I think it's too early 

Maybe a few of Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Dobson, and Josi for D, maybe Hedman or Forsling 

Could see one or two of Swayman, Hellebuyck, Demko, Shesterkin, Ottinger, Sorokin, 

I don't think the Canucks get any forward representation, they'd get it in goal or on D 

If I had to take a stab at it and make an actual list I'd go

McDavid

MacKinnon 

Matthews

Tkachuk

Kucherov 

Pastrnak 

Hughes 

Josi 

Makar

Dahlin 

Hellebuyck

Oettinger

Josi may be a little too on the older side though, could easily see it being Dobson or Heiskanen 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd guess a few of McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Hughes, Matthews, and Tkachuk for forwards, maybe Panarin and Crosby, maybe Bedard but I think it's too early 

Maybe a few of Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Dobson, and Josi for D, maybe Hedman or Forsling 

Could see one or two of Swayman, Hellebuyck, Demko, Shesterkin, Ottinger, Sorokin, 

I don't think the Canucks get any forward representation, they'd get it in goal or on D 

If I had to take a stab at it and make an actual list I'd go

McDavid

MacKinnon 

Matthews

Tkachuk

Kucherov 

Pastrnak 

Hughes 

Josi 

Makar

Dahlin 

Hellebuyck

Oettinger

Josi may be a little too on the older side though, could easily see it being Dobson or Heiskanen 

I could see them doing a thing where they cover M Tkachuk and feature a game/edpisode where he plays his brother, same with the Hughes bros otherwise I think your list is spot on but maybe Crosby, Ovi get love 

36 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I could see them doing a thing where they cover M Tkachuk and feature a game/edpisode where he plays his brother, same with the Hughes bros otherwise I think your list is spot on but maybe Crosby, Ovi get love 

I thought about Ovi too, but my gut says they'll try to showcase prime aged players or young stars