[PGT] Canucks vs Kings, Feb 29th 2024

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Some of the players take days off during the game too. Coughcough Petey Coughcough.

Absolutely brutal giveaways on the last 2 LA goals. If he was signed already I could see Tochet ripping him a new one. But right now we risk hurting his feelings.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some fans clearly need to take a breath, step back, and take a look at the big picture again.

Before the season most of us would have been happy if we were still fighting for a playoff spot at this point. And here we are one point out of first place and fans are complaining more than when we were a lotto team. It makes no sense.

We need to realize how many things have gone right for us to this point. There was always going to be adversity and a slump at some point. Every team goes through it. It’s important to not forget what this team is capable of when they’re rolling. The team we’re seeing now is mentally and physically fatigued (most games played in the league.) Not an excuse just reality.

This next stretch will be crucial in managing minutes and rest. Don’t push so he’s for first place that we’re ground down by the time we make the playoffs.

I wanna see DeSmith start at least 6-8 games in the final 20. Demko needs to be 100% going into the playoffs.

Idk about you but we haven't won shit yet, or clinched shit. We are still fighting for the playoffs, and are 1-5-1 in our last 7. 83 points doesn't get you anything but lottery odds. So yeah, some of us are worried because we know how this team can cave in at points and find ways to humiliate themselves. They've done it 3 years in a row.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some fans clearly need to take a breath, step back, and take a look at the big picture again.

Before the season most of us would have been happy if we were still fighting for a playoff spot at this point. And here we are one point out of first place and fans are complaining more than when we were a lotto team. It makes no sense.

We need to realize how many things have gone right for us to this point. There was always going to be adversity and a slump at some point. Every team goes through it. It’s important to not forget what this team is capable of when they’re rolling. The team we’re seeing now is mentally and physically fatigued (most games played in the league.) Not an excuse just reality.

This next stretch will be crucial in managing minutes and rest. Don’t push so hard for first place that we’re ground down by the time we make the playoffs.

I wanna see DeSmith start at least 6-8 games in the final 20. Demko needs to be 100% going into the playoffs.

Yup. After the past decade or so folks should be happy the team is competitive at all, let alone leading the division. 

My take is that the season is already a success regardless of what happens come playoff time. I'm not expecting a Cinderella run, I'm expecting us to go out in the first or second round. And you know what? That's not me being cynical, that's me recognizing that this team still has a lot of learning to do. The playoffs are a different animal, the bubble was a long time ago now, more than likely they're going to have to beat their head against the playoff wall like every other franchise that eventually goes on to win a cup. 

There were always going to be growing pains, you don't jump from being a bottom feeder or mediocre team to being a top team without growing pains. They're going to make the playoffs, that's great, we've been wanting that for years. The first part of becoming a playoff regular is making the playoffs that initial time after a span of missing the playoffs, we're going to do that. 

Regardless of how things play out this season has been a step forward. 

And yeah, a lot of things have gone right, and a lot of things still are. How many times have we watched the Canucks be absolutely decimated by injuries throughout the season? We've been extremely fortunate this time, none of our top players have missed significant time. Folks fuss about missing Joshua and Soucy, and yeah, their absence impacts the roster, but typically the Canucks get it much worse. They're healthy enough to be better than they have been, if missing a third liner and a bottom four D is enough to have this team go off the tracks that's concerning. But yeah, they've been very fortunate. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

At least the President's pressure is off us and we can just concentrate on fixing our game. This will likely be for the best in the long run. 

Haven't lost faith at all. All of the contending and top teams have had their slumps. The Kings are even coming off an inconsistent last 10 games. 

• Cheers 1

I think it's fair to call this a slump. The first real one of the season....

For whatever reason, this has not been the same team since the All-Star break. If I had to guess, I'd say that the team started to believe the hype. They had virtually an entire roster of Canucks for the 3 on 3 tourney, plus they had just landed the biggest fish in free agency. I think the combination of the layoff and the perception of having such a dominant roster has led to some players taking shortcuts and lacking attention to detail and intensity.

They looked awful last night and I don't think anyone is immune to criticism....not even Millsy or Demmer.

You do have to give the Kings credit for what was as close to a perfect road game as I've seen in quite a while. (especially considering that Kempe was out of the lineup) That being said, a team with Cup aspirations has to respond better than that. The only positive I can take away from the game is the PP goal.

Hopefully, this was a wake-up call.....

• ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Idk about you but we haven't won shit yet, or clinched shit. We are still fighting for the playoffs, and are 1-5-1 in our last 7. 83 points doesn't get you anything but lottery odds. So yeah, some of us are worried because we know how this team can cave in at points and find ways to humiliate themselves. They've done it 3 years in a row.

And you don’t win shit in February.

So basically you’re worried this team will go 0-20 down the stretch?

This team has really hurt you huh? It’ll be okay don’t worry. 😉

2 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

This skid began with the injury to Joshua.  Since then the intensity and lack of an aggressive forecheck for more than a few minutes here and there is so obvious.  

Joshua brings a swagger to this team much like Kesler did.

He forechecks hard, throws the body, and isn’t afraid to go to the net.

Playing a team like LA it’s obvious we need to add more players like him.

• Like 1

This skid began with the injury to Joshua.  Since then the intensity and lack of an aggressive forecheck for more than a few minutes here and there is so obvious.  

This has been mentioned before but Petey gets knocked off the puck so easy and is always falling down.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Joshua brings a swagger to this team much like Kesler did.

He forechecks hard, throws the body, and isn’t afraid to go to the net.

Playing a team like LA it’s obvious we need to add more players like him.

Bow Tie Animation GIF by Boomerang Official

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And you don’t win shit in February.

So basically you’re worried this team will go 0-20 down the stretch?

This team has really hurt you huh? It’ll be okay don’t worry. 😉

Well to be fair they’re playing right now like they will go 0-20 and not 20-0. So people being skeptical about this team is ok. The team might have had low expectations coming into the season but if you look at our core group of players you could say they were under performing the last couple of years. So no the expectation shouldn’t be that they’re in a playoff spot right now and last year they weren’t so this is good enough. 

• Cheers 1

I hate losing to L.A. (Doughty and his ‘a team like that”) as much as losing to Boston. I’m curious how this slump impacts what management does by the TDL; give up more picks to go further ‘all in’ or do a slight re-tool in the summer.

Using bottom 3 players in the top six has run it coarse. 
it was inevitable that the likes of Sutter pdg and others play in the top six wasn’t sustainable.

like a back up goalie they can perform for a bit in small intervals but won’t or rarely succeed  long term.

we need atleast 1 top six winger and a solid 4th line checking/shutdown guy. Upgrades on Aman pdg bains. Good to see bains getting some nhl ice but it’s time to try someone different. 

jury’s still out in lindholm pretty hefty price for a third line Center 

losing hope that Mik can regain his speed and touch this season 

Ep hasn’t been sharp since the all star break 

miller been a driving force hes one of the few guys that’s been noticeable every shift for the right reasons. 

teams have adjusted to how van plays now Toc needs to make adjustments.

The ineffective power play  has killed this team.
as has stupid penalties  

Edited by Combover
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

And the backend of a busy / condensed schedule of games. 

Top Western teams in the last 10 games:

Stars - 4-3-3

Avalanche - 5-4-1

Knights - 4-5-1

Oilers - 5-4-1

See the trend? 

This happens to teams down the stretch. You’ve got hungry teams fighting for wild card spots coming in every night. It’s hard to get up for every game this time of year.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Top Western teams in the last 10 games:

Stars - 4-3-3

Avalanche - 5-4-1

Knights - 4-5-1

Oilers - 5-4-1

See the trend? 

This happens to teams down the stretch. You’ve got hungry teams fighting for wild card spots coming in every night. It’s hard to get up for every game this time of year.

Canucks = 1-5-1 in the last seven.  Slice it however you want but we’ve consumed a lot of different dna lately.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

#1 seed Canucks might face off against a #8 LA Kings team consisting of Kopitar and Doughty in the first round.  Deja vu?

Who’s Daniel Sedin and who’s Duncan Keith this time around?

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Canucks = 1-5-1 in the last seven.  Slice it however you want but we’ve consumed a lot of different dna lately.

4-5-1 in last 10.

Weve only got two less points than some top teams in this apparently disastrous stretch. 😂

• Cheers 1

Team has turned into a quarter horse, rather than a thoroughbred.

Got off to a great start, now fading down the stretch.

Imo- over playing has hurt some players

Mihkeyev--- guy is getting over major leg surgery- should have had strategically picked games off

Demko-- Going to be way tired by play off time, given the % of games he's getting

Hughes-- While he can play more than 22 minutes a night, the time above 22 minutes is not high calibre Hughes- still a reasonable level, but not top notch.

Who is:

Hronek- is he just a sidekick to Hughes, or can he be the man, on his own pairing-I'd like to know for sure, before re-signing him.

Lindholm- is he, now a mostly defensive guy, that is good on face -offs, or will his offense pick up?

Zadorov- top 4 d man- or bottom pairing guy?

PdG- not a first liner, despite his hot start with Miller, but is 4rth liner all he is?

DeSmith- solid back up goalie, or now sliding into oblivion. Hard to tell as he is getting less playing time, making him colder, so he gets less playing time, so he gets colder and gets......

The great thing about being hot to start the season is, rather than fighting for the wild card spots, they are pretty much assured of getting, at least, 1 of those.

Edited by Gurn
  • Vintage 1