[PGT] Canucks vs Kings, Feb 29th 2024

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Who’s Daniel Sedin and who’s Duncan Keith this time around?

Probably Pettersson except I don’t think he needs a modern day Duncan Keith.  Anytime someone even nudges Petey, he falls down like a bowling pin.  

Seriously - Pettersson is a very very very good hockey player, but it will be a mistake if we pay him 12 million.  

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

4-5-1 in last 10.

Weve only got two less points than some top teams in this apparently disastrous stretch. 😂

Hopefully, we turn it around.  

1. Stop making trades and creating a volatile environment for the players.

2. Re-unite the Lotto Line

3. Put PDG with Bluegar/Garland since he’s somewhat stylistically similar to Joshua.

4. Make Mikheyev-Lindholm-Suter an elite shut down line (focusing primarily on defense) that can take on tough match ups and free up more offensive deployment for the Lotto Line.

I have had serious question marks arohnd some of Toch's decisions the last 2 weeks.

I love Garly and Suter, but they should not be out on PP1. 

Seems like the lotto line was rolling prior to the Lindy trade. I think we need to get that line back together permanently.

Garland Blueger and Joshua is a proven line with chemistry and should be kept together for the playoffs.

That leaves any 3 of Lindholm/ Hoglander / Suter / Mikheyev to round out the 2nd line.  If they can't find a line that has chemistry, can drive play, and generate scoring chances, then they will need to bring someone else in.

Mik seems like the odd one out to me, but clearing that contract wont be cheap.

Edited by Sell.the.team
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Lindholm was a bad trade IMO, he's barely noticeable every game.

Bains is a good story, but messes up plays.

Demko needs to be better

Until they figure out that horrible PP and PK, my expectations of this team in the playoffs is low. 

But Lindholm does all the little things right

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Team has turned into a quarter horse, rather than a thoroughbred.

Got off to a great start, now fading down the stretch.

Imo- over playing has hurt some players

Mihkeyev--- guy is getting over major leg surgery- should have had strategically picked games off

Demko-- Going to be way tired by play off time, given the % of games he's getting

Hughes-- While he can play more than 22 minutes a night, the time above 22 minutes is not high calibre Hughes- still a reasonable level, but not top notch.

Who is:

Hronek- is he just a sidekick to Hughes, or can he be the man, on his own pairing-I'd like to know for sure, before re-signing him.

I think Hronek is a complimentary top 4. Don't think he can carry a pairing. 

Lindholm- is he, now a mostly defensive guy, that is good on face -offs, or will his offense pick up?

I think he needs to be added to Miller's line with Boeser. I think they could really be a solid line. 

Zadorov- top 4 d man- or bottom pairing guy?

He's made some gaffes but has been better than most defensemen on the team not named Hughes. He was one of the only bright spots yesterday. He carried the puck up ice pretty well.

PdG- not a first liner, despite his hot start with Miller, but is 4rth liner all he is?

He is a 4th liner at best. A decent one too. 

DeSmith- solid back up goalie, or now sliding into oblivion. Hard to tell as he is getting less playing time, making him colder, so he gets less playing time, so he gets colder and gets......

He should have a start next so it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to get his backup mojo back.

The great thing about being hot to start the season is, rather than fighting for the wild card spots, they are pretty much assured of getting, at least, 1 of those.

• Cheers 1

We need another physical forward like Duhaime or Greenway, that way when one gets injured (Joshua) we still have a physical presence.

Championship teams have depth everywhere.  Scoring depth defensive depth goaltending depth physical depth etc 

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Top Western teams in the last 10 games:

Stars - 4-3-3

Avalanche - 5-4-1

Knights - 4-5-1

Oilers - 5-4-1

See the trend? 

This happens to teams down the stretch. You’ve got hungry teams fighting for wild card spots coming in every night. It’s hard to get up for every game this time of year.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

4-5-1 in last 10.

Weve only got two less points than some top teams in this apparently disastrous stretch. 😂

Awesome posts and perspective! Looks like others have been inconsistent after the All Star Break. We've also had injuries and a trade.

We will find our game again. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team shouldn’t sign or trade for anyone until they figure where they issues lie. 

That doesn't match JR's MO.  I foresee trades coming and pics/prospects leaving.

His bullying tactics with EP may have turned out to be a big distraction for the team.

Just now, higgyfan said:

That doesn't match JR's MO.  I foresee trades coming and pics/prospects leaving.

We'll see. The team needs at least one more top six forward with size to work with Miller and Boeser. Another depth defenseman like Edmundson or Johnson would be good. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

His bullying tactics with EP may have turned out to be a big distraction for the team.

Bullying? Seriously? 😆 It's called being a general manager and doing what's best for the TEAM, not a single player. 

• Tank 1

42 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Gave up a lot for some little things

I’m still hopeful. It happens sometimes. New systems for him and inconsistent line mates has been a factor 

We have 1 week to make some changes/additions and 20 games to figure it out. I’d rather struggle now and have ample time to figure it out, than slump in the playoffs. We’re gunna play through it, find ways to win and catch fire at the right time. 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

We have 1 week to make some changes/additions and 20 games to figure it out. I’d rather struggle now and have ample time to figure it out, than slump in the playoffs. We’re gunna play through it, find ways to win and catch fire at the right time. 

The team has to find the will throughout the line up. They have the ability. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And you don’t win shit in February.

So basically you’re worried this team will go 0-20 down the stretch?

This team has really hurt you huh? It’ll be okay don’t worry. 😉

Last 7 games... 3 points. Over the next 20 games, that equals 8 points, putting us at 91, which is 6 points away from a projected wildcard spot.  This is the same team that was 0-5-2 last season to start off a season where they had "something to prove". 

Basically, this team will never stop surprising us and themselves. Nothing is guaranteed and they need to figure it out much sooner rather than later. Teams are starting to play us very well and very hard, and only JT Miller has responded consistently. Until I see the X,Y or Z beside our name, I'm not going to pat myself on the back, and neither should they. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Ummm... EP bullied the team if anything. Management has our entire team to re-sign and they can't do anything until they take care of EP. They saw that Dak, Hronek and Zadorov's value went up and they need to take care of it, so they have to take care of EP first. 

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Some of the players take days off during the game too. Coughcough Petey Coughcough.

Absolutely brutal giveaways on the last 2 LA goals. If he was signed already I could see Tochet ripping him a new one. But right now we risk hurting his feelings.

Doesn't mean he isn't trying or doesn't care. 

Frankly I think he's not in shape enough for a grueling season.  He's always targeted and isn't big, and requires more training in off season to battle through it.  He's gotten stronger since his first few yrs, but with more responsibility (playing center) and a big threat, he's getting the best checking from the opponent.   

He's gonna need more help from Sedins and trainers to get better next yr.  Sedins were easily knocked down early in their career, but became one of the fittest players in the league and were tenacious on the puck.   EP's only 25 and hasn't hit his peak yet.  I think he can improve still. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Doesn't mean he isn't trying or doesn't care. 

Frankly I think he's not in shape enough for a grueling season.  He's always targeted and isn't big, and requires more training in off season to battle through it.  He's gotten stronger since his first few yrs, but with more responsibility (playing center) and a big threat, he's getting the best checking from the opponent.   

He's gonna need more help from Sedins and trainers to get better next yr.  Sedins were easily knocked down early in their career, but became one of the fittest players in the league and were tenacious on the puck.   EP's only 25 and hasn't hit his peak yet.  I think he can improve still. 

Awww we shouldn’t be mean to the player making millions of dollars. To be honest I feel bad for the fans that have to pay to see that trash play. I was asked if I wanted to see the game last night, so glad I saved my money. 

As for him being too small/easily knocked down why does that not apply to Garland who’s much smaller? 

Honestly I don’t care if they win or lose but I want to see the effort. During this last stretch of 10 games or so our losses have come from a lot of untimely giveaways. The biggest creator of those giveaways? Petterrson. For how smart he is he sure makes a lot of dumb plays.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Awesome posts and perspective! Looks like others have been inconsistent after the All Star Break. We've also had injuries and a trade.

We will find our game again. 

To reiterate @DeNiro

Here's the last 10 among the league as of now:

Screenshot_20240301-141940.png

29 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Awww we shouldn’t be mean to the player making millions of dollars. To be honest I feel bad for the fans that have to pay to see that trash play. I was asked if I wanted to see the game last night, so glad I saved my money. 

As for him being too small/easily knocked down why does that not apply to Garland who’s much smaller? 

Honestly I don’t care if they win or lose but I want to see the effort. During this last stretch of 10 games or so our losses have come from a lot of untimely giveaways. The biggest creator of those giveaways? Petterrson. For how smart he is he sure makes a lot of dumb plays.

Garland get knocked down all the time too.  He's a better skater though.  

Remember it was Dakota was had to fight for him cause Garly got knocked down and led to Dakota's injury.  

Effort is dependent on fatigue level.  Decisions and errors are also dependent. 

You should save your money.  Don't go to any games.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

Better to get the slump over with now then

during the playoffs.

not sold on lindholm, would they explore a trade before the deadline?

I see no difference between the Canucks before him and the Canucks after getting him, if anything they got worse

10 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Better to get the slump over with now then

during the playoffs.

not sold on lindholm, would they explore a trade before the deadline?

I see no difference between the Canucks before him and the Canucks after getting him, if anything they got worse

Some are saying it's the All Star break. Others say it's the Kuzmenko trade. I think Joshua and Soucy are more important to the team than most realize. Whatever has happened, the team's chemistry is suffering, and there isn't the consistency of effort and drive that was clearly evident earlier on in the season when they were focused, disciplined and dangerous. 

• Cheers 1

Let's see if the team can adapt to the physical high pressing styles of the Kings + Golden Knights next week - teams that will most likely have to get through if they are to move any needle in the playoffs - great that this is before the TDL.  To the Canucks credit, so far this year, they have mostly adapted + played better against teams they previously lost to earlier in the season (Tampa / Boston / Rangers).  Still like them to get some additional muscle for the playoffs though. 

JR+company will have to decide on how to beat some of these heavier pressing teams - add more size or add more speed?  I know the Oilers would go for the later  - lets see what direction the Canucks go with.  I expect there will be more than a few consultations with RT in the next week to decide on any add-ons.

Just Win.jpg

Petey is in his head lately and having Mik as a winger is literally killing offense. I appreciate he's struggling too, but man that dude needs to at least skate way more. 

Lindholm has been so bleh. Just a non factor for the most part. That 3rd line he's leading is not working at all. I think they should try putting him on Petey's wing again with Hoglander. Have Blug do 3C and Laff or Aman as 4C.