This trade just sucks

14 minutes ago, occ78 said:

Bringing lindholm made the team worse and gave up all that assets including #1 pick 

A little overpay for sure, but so far the new regime has done well. 

This could be one of the greatest retool jobs ever! So far I’m excited!

Yep agreed. Now who to blame. I don't think PA or JR are directly responsible - I think it should come down to our scouts. They're the ones watching the games. If you watch any of Calgary's games over the last year you can see how solid Lindholm is defensively, but how he sacrifices a lot of offence for defence. That's fine, and people have been tempted in by him due to his once-off 40G, 80P season playing with two 100pt stars. Good scouts would be able to isolate his performance from them. Just watch any of Calgary's games this season or even last year. Last year he was what a 60 point solid defensive player. He may not be playing with good linemates but he's playing 20 minutes on their top line and top PP. He's getting opportunities but still not scoring much.

All this talk about him getting 8M is rediculous - he's on a 4-5M contract right now and playing like it. He's our 3rd line checking center right now. Monahan is outscoring him.

Personally I hate the idea of a top team full of stars acquiring another star - it throws the chemistry and balance right off, especially mid-season, and that's what we've done. The deals you make mid season or at the TDL are depth ones to improve depth going into the playoffs, not a star player to throw out chemistry off. The pieces we gave up weren't massive but they were numerous.

Not a fan of the trade, obviously it'll get judged in the post-season big time but so far Lindholm has been the same if not much worse than he was in Calgary. Not directly PA's fault, but his scouts should have told him he's a shell of his former self. Conroy knew what he was doing and cashed in big time by selling him based on potential and former production instead of what he's doing now.

• Cheers 4

27 minutes ago, occ78 said:

Bringing lindholm made the team worse and gave up all that assets including #1 pick 

The trade in itself doesn't suck.  

What sucks is that Tocchet et al have gone out of their way to try and address a problem that never existed in the first place.

All was good in the Paradise City 5-6 weeks ago.  The grass was green, the men were pretty, and the egg rolls were swinging freely past the knees so to speak.  

Our 2nd line was struggling, but we were still getting both primary and secondary scoring courtesy of the Lotto Line and Bluegar/Garland line.   Our 4th line with Hoglander, Aman, and Lafferty were also doing well.

All we really needed for that 2nd line, with the acquisition of Lindholm, was to be an elite shut down line.  Mikheyev, Suter, and Lindholm are all exceptional defensively and are more than capable of taking on the toughest defensive assignments (even if they are offensively challenged).    

Instead - we broke up the Lotto line and are driving around under the false assumption that Petey is a bus driver a la Matthews/McDavid/MacKinnon.  He's not!  Him and Lindholm aren't a good 2nd line.  

If the Canucks want to do well again, you need to put Pettersson's face straight in Miller's crotch where it belongs.  Reunite the Lotto line + put PDG with Bluegar/Garland until Joshua gets back (for the physical presence), and make Lindholm/Suter/Mikheyev an elite shut down line.  

Make Canucks Great Again.

• Cheers 3

It wasn't the trade in itself.  It's what the trade signified.  We made the biggest move of the deadline and put a target on our backs. everybody's playing to beat us now, they all test themselves against us.   but id rather go through losing streaks now instead of later, because this was gunna happen in the first round eventually and we would be eliminated in 4 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

It wasn't the trade in itself.  It's what the trade signified.  We made the biggest move of the deadline and put a target on our backs. everybody's playing to beat us now, they all test themselves against us.   but id rather go through losing streaks now instead of later, because this was gunna happen in the first round eventually and we would be eliminated in 4 games.

Okay.  

The team needs to respond and get back on track though.  

• Like 1

Lindholm stays Petey goes to Carolina.

Kotkaniemi, Necas and a first and second round back.

Seems a good package to ... move our lightweight superstar.

Do we have the cap room right now?

Edited by Catman
  • Like 1

I miss kuz, i don't miss tocchet messing with him, so i'm at peace with him moving on.

Lindholm hasn't been great on his own end. Between him and pettey's feb struggles the 4-balanced lines has not worked as first poster said.

We really do need a guy who trusts his shot, an eberle, voltrano etc. 

Pettey is the key to it all. We're 19-1-1 when he has a 2 point or greater night. I think he does need to play with miller on this road trip, get his game back but we need him to be pettey in the postseason. 

• Cheers 1

Trade does not suck but it did show that we need some wingers.

JT Miller + Boes

Pety + ??

Lind + ??

Blue + Josh + Gar

Hogs + Suter + Laff

These are the pairs and lines that I have worked but we are missing pieces. IMO we do not need D so much as we need 1 or two wingers.

4 hours ago, occ78 said:

The Carolina trade news means that Lindholm really was an option B as a Pettersson replacement in case his signing falls through. In that sense, the assets we spent were worth it. Imagine losing Pettersson and still want to be competitive next season. 

Hopefully things will improve and no reason they shouldn't on paper.  But I said the same thing when we acquired Sean Burke but then we just gave up after he went 2-9-4 and cut our losses with the near Hall of Famer.  Expected (or hoped for) bigger things from Derek Roy, Eric Weinrich, Jimmy Carson, Gary Leeman, Stephane Morin, Vladimir Krutov and several others with decent resumes in their Canuck days.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The team has been over performing and hit a lull after all star break. 
‘Rare that teams are great all season, they all hit ruts. 
‘They got out of a bad cap hit for an underperforming player and got a solid RHC.

Don’t underestimate how important Joshua has been, the Garland-Joshua pair has bee Tocch’s go to when he needs a shift. 
‘We know the Canuck’s were great to start the year and were also very lucky, this is a bit of a regression to the mean. Better they go through it now then the end of the season but they also need to remember they have been a very good hockey team for half a season the last 2 years and what did that get them?  They need to get back to focus, intensity and execution that Tocch demands. 

2 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

Trade does not suck but it did show that we need some wingers.

JT Miller + Boes

Pety + ??

Lind + ??

Blue + Josh + Gar

Hogs + Suter + Laff

These are the pairs and lines that I have worked but we are missing pieces. IMO we do not need D so much as we need 1 or two wingers.

Going into the season I expected our #1 line this year would be Kuz-Petey-Mik, now that is out the window and Kuz was replaced by a center, so yes we need wingers. Also, with Josh being out that chemistry he has with Garland isn't there, and Petey's contract perhaps has become a distraction, need to get it done. All contributes to the current slump, but they have time to work it out. 

• Cheers 1

Well I think he’s wasted playing 3C. We need to play Bluegar/Suter 3C/4C. 

Miller 1C

Lindholm 2C

Seems like ever since the Canucks started losing the coaching staff has put the lines into a blender. Let them stick for a few games damn it!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I don't know why Toch isn't putting the Lotto line back together. That creates immediate swagger. 

Honestly when we were winning with the Lotto line and they started to slump. The common theme was that Suter isnt a capable 2C. I thought the whole goal of bringing in Lindholm would’ve been to keep the lotto line in tact. To be honest we’d probably be better with 1 more top 6 winger. But where does it stop? It’s always 1 player away and we’ll be better

Lindholm has played 13 games for the Canucks.  He has 4g - 2a - 6p and is minus 5.

During those 13 games Canucks are 5 - 6 - 2.

Prior to the Lindholm Trade Canucks were 33 - 11 - 5.

Hmm.

• Cheers 3

I actually liked kuzmenko because he has that burst of speed and someone that is not predictable like the rest of the team jexcept hoglander) 

they gave him and one of our top prospect plus picks for this.. and it’s only rental? screwed up the team chemistry 

kuzmenko reminded me bit of Pavel Bure and this is what we needed, or a winger that can accommodate Pettersson 

Power skilled winger like Tuch(not easy I know), Toffoli we let him walk….. instead they kept Pearson?  WTH, 

or someone similar to these guys not soft lindholm 

also give the man a credit, the only reason why Hughes is playing the way is because of Hronek 

he is so calm with the puck and makes quinn go out and do his stuff 

before this dumb trade Hronek was playing much better too, actually entire team did 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1