This trade just sucks

I can't wait until Pettersson resigns so that we can shut up about it already. lol

Also, there are a lot of good teams currently struggling: Vancouver, Boston, Vegas, Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, etc. Our struggles are less likely due to the Lindholm trade and more likely due to key injuries such as Joshua. Lindholm is likely learning the system a bit still and I think it's too early to tell. He's still been better for us than a doghoused Kuzmenko.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The 3rd line hasn't been the same since Joshua was injured.  That's the main problem right now.  Kuzmenko had no chemistry with Petey, so Lindholm isn't making it worse.  Hoglander was taken off the 4th line, so that line isn't going right now either.

So, we really only have one line going right now.  This is the issue.  If we get Joshua back and move Hoglander back to the 4th line, then we'd be in the exact situation as before Kuzmenko was traded.  

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser (Sc1)

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Suter (shut down)

PDG-Bluegar-Garland (Sc2)

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty (4th)

Thats what I’d do right now

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Well I think he’s wasted playing 3C. We need to play Bluegar/Suter 3C/4C. 

Miller 1C

Lindholm 2C

Seems like ever since the Canucks started losing the coaching staff has put the lines into a blender. Let them stick for a few games damn it!

I do not see anything wrong with lines being thrown into a blender as it's a right time to do it just before the playoffs.  I suspect that they do not want to give their potential first round match-up our hands with same line-up they used all year long or they will adjust their game in the playoffs.  It is better for them to adjust to us, not us to them.  That is why they split up PP to confuse their opponents and we'll get back to same line-up when playoffs starts.   Also to split up their PP to help them isolate their main issue and work on it with many different looks and get reunited with many different ideas that might work when they get back together.  You can see teams is looking for ways to stop us and it's better if we do it now experimenting.  I think that this is right time for us to be experimenting    We have no reason to panic when the game has not gone our way in last few weeks.  We are in a cold streak and every team goes through that and it is better it to be now than in the playoffs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Darius said:

Id like to see what he can do with Joshua and Garland.  Despite his slowdown in points in the past 4 or 5 games I think he has more offensive upside than Blueger.

Having Blueger on the 4th line improves the 4c position too.

That would be an experiment I could get on board with. Playing Bains with Lindholm doesn’t make sense. Lindholm is trying to adjust to the Canucks and Bains is trying to adjust to the NHL. Putting both of them together is setting both up for failure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser (Sc1)

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Suter (shut down)

PDG-Bluegar-Garland (Sc2)

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty (4th)

Thats what I’d do right now

I’d definitely try that out. Joshua coming back will give a huge boost to the 3rd line. 

Our “secret” weapon is still in play though. Jonathan Lekkerimäki. He could be the weapon we need in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d definitely try that out. Joshua coming back will give a huge boost to the 3rd line. 

Our “secret” weapon is still in play though. Jonathan Lekkerimäki. He could be the weapon we need in the playoffs. 

Agreed.  In that scenario, I’d still reunite the Lotto line but play Lekkerimaki with Lindholm.  

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Catman said:

Lindholm stays Petey goes to Carolina.

Kotkaniemi, Necas and a first and second round back.

Seems a good package to ... move our lightweight superstar.

Do we have the cap room right now?

great haul a borderline bust that's current a cap anchor with his production and a guy that's maybe a top 6 and a late 1st and a 2nd we should do it now we can compete for the cup the next decade

Edited by wai_lai416

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Agreed.  In that scenario, I’d still reunite the Lotto line but play Lekkerimaki with Lindholm.  

If Lekkerimäki shows up in Vancouver then 100% I am playing him with Petey. 

Pettersson    Lindholm   Lekkerimäki

Mikheyev      Miller         Boeser 

Joshua          Blueger     Garland 

Höglander     Suter         Lafferty 

All of a sudden everyone is where they should be. I’d also try Mikheyev with Miller. He doesn’t need to score. Just play solid defence and retrieve pucks. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Lekkerimäki shows up in Vancouver then 100% I am playing him with Petey. 

Pettersson    Lindholm   Lekkerimäki

Mikheyev      Miller         Boeser 

Joshua          Blueger     Garland 

Höglander     Suter         Lafferty 

All of a sudden everyone is where they should be. I’d also try Mikheyev with Miller. He doesn’t need to score. Just play solid defence and retrieve pucks. 

That could work, but Petey and JL being on the same line together during playoff hockey might be a bit concerning.  

Lots of skill on that line, but JL is about the same size as Taylor Swift while "bowling pin Petey" might need someone bigger than Lindholm to help dig out pucks.  

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

That could work, but Petey and JL being on the same line together during playoff hockey might be a bit concerning.  

Lots of skill on that line, but JL is about the same size as Taylor Swift while "bowling pin Petey" might need someone bigger than Lindholm to help dig out pucks.  

True.  But by having those 2 lines, it makes one of those lines being checked by a weaker line on the other team and makes the 3rd line go up against very weak competition.

If the opposition wants to load up on checking the Petey line, then Miller and Boeser will be having a field day in the offensive zone.  I also like to see Mikheyev on that line for a few games...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

It sure seems like you are right.  For now.

I'm willing to give it more time.  Including the playoffs. For what we gave up, I was not a fan of the trade when I heard it, and he will have to step it up more for me to feel good about the trade.  But I can't knock it too bad yet, especially looking at the track record of JR and PA. 

I suspect a part of that decision was made to appease Pettersson into signing. Here, look, another good Swedish countryman to play with.  Such a  big assumption that just because they are both Swedes, they will mesh well.  Just like LE and the twins.

But would that 1st round pick have been better spent on Tanev?  That is what I am lamenting.  We could have had Tanev here by now if they'd offered it. And maybe nothing else. A 5th round throw in maybe.  We'd have also cleared up more cap space, as Chris would have signed for a discount to play here, while Lindholm will demand whatever the market will bear. 

Then we look at other forward options. If Lindholm is now no more than a shut down third line center, we could have filled that spot with someone else.  How awesome our D would look right now with Tanev as the final piece to the puzzle.  Plus it would restore some of the bad ju ju since he was unceremoniously ignored and dumped to Calgary.

Yep, I get the need for a top-6 forward to complement our team, especially after Kuzmenko and Mikheyev have been so underwhelming this season, but I would have rather we spend our assets on a defenceman. Look at Hughes and Hronek making mistakes all over the ice and Cole and Myers looking old and slow. We're getting blown up for goals right now. It's not Soucy's fault, it's just the grind of a season - over-working our young stars and having two old slow physical guys. Someone like Tanev to take the pressure off everyone would have really helped.

We would have been a better team if we went after Tanev and then just acquired a middle-6 forward who can take faceoffs. For the price we paid we surely could have snagged Monahan and Tanev (maybe we throw in another pick instead of a conditional). 

We were already a top heavy team, we just needed some second-tier players to support our stars - not another star.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

The one that truly disappointed me was Geoff Sanderson.   Was only 25-26 or so, close to 50 a couple times, regular 30 plus goal scorer, and came in and whiffed.  

Sean Burke too, same era.   Just checked, 9 games and gone...only 25,  355 career goals.   Keenan era.   Irbe.  Essensa.  Potvin.  

I thought Irbe was quite good as a Canuck.  A winning record when the team went 25-43 and every other goalie got their ass kicked.  I wanted to keep him going forward and Carolina sure got a lot of miles out of him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1