[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I wonder if this leads to another deal with Martin/DeSmith going elsewhere. Our goalie depth chart is crazy full. 

Demko - NHL
Martin - NHL 
Silovs - AHL 
DeSmith - AHL
Tolopilo - AHL 
Sawchenko - ECHL?
Lemieux - ECHL

Martin is not an NHL caliber goalie. Did last season not prove it enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't like sending the 3rd but this does shore up the backup goalie position. Honestly, I thought the hit to shave off a winger was going to be bigger but I'll take it at a third. I don't love the trade but I don't hate it either. Very "in the middle" for me.

Also, I'm just happy to see that Pearson gets to have a fresh start somewhere else after the whole surgery debacle he went through last year.

Edited by Quantum
  • Cheers 2

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith
3 minutes ago, Provost said:

2nd and 3rd round picks aren’t nothing… a mid 3rd round pick is still a decent bet.  It is the later picks that are real long shot lottery tickets.

It was obvious that we were going to have to give up something to be compliant.

I just don’t get how we can’t be the ones getting picks to take on useful but slightly overpaid players.  Weren’t there players to be had from cap strapped teams in the summer?

Tanner Pearson is a solid player on a decent cap hit.

Agreed, disappointed to see the pick go but not surprised 

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I think it all but guarantees that.

Think so, waiving Martin also feasibly gives Silovs a solid running mate 

Martin may not be a legit NHL backup but he's capable at the NHL level 

If the idea is for Abbotsford to build on last season it makes sense to have brought in a tender