[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

33 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I wonder if this leads to another deal with Martin/DeSmith going elsewhere. Our goalie depth chart is crazy full. 

Demko - NHL
Martin - NHL 
Silovs - AHL 
DeSmith - AHL
Tolopilo - AHL 
Sawchenko - ECHL?
Lemieux - ECHL

Martin stinks like a garbage can in a dog park.  
if he plays another game for us, we must be planning on tanking

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

My initial reaction is I love this deal. Ballsy. This is a big move to trade Pearson as soon as you activate him. Is it a betrayal on Pearson, a message to Pearson, or just strictly a business move? Maybe a little of everything. Regardless, This is a solid, ballsy trade. We'll done, PA.

I love how this regime isn't all rainbows and lollipops.

Who cares what the media thinks. Fire the coach. Bench the player. Botch the surgery. Trade him anyway.

Just whatever it takes to win, not worried about what people think.

It's refreshing. Hopefully we see a great on ice product this season.

Some people might not like it, but it's drastic change and we all know what the definition of insanity is.

GCG!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a tiny, soft forward group there.   
I really don’t think we will be putting out a third line that averages 5’8”. 

Makes me wonder how this forward group will play against teams that play a physical brand of hockey 

17 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Beau - Petey - Kuz 
Mik - Miller - Boeser 
Hog - Suter - Garland 
Joshua - Bleuger - Podz
PDG, Dries 

Hughes - Cole 
Soucy - Hronek 
Wolanin/Hirose - Myers 
Irwin

Demko 
Martin/DeSmith

Wow... Lookie here... We actually have quality depth in all positions... Except center.  It's been years since we had this sort of depth.  DeSmith is actually a solid proven back-up.  Big upgrade on Martin.  

3rd is the new 2nd!!!

🤨

thanks for everything, pearse. guy got a bad rap here, always led by playing the game the right way. versatile and consistent commensurate to his salary.

other guys I'd rather give up first to cut salary, but I suspect the relationship with the organization was damaged beyond repair. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

We don’t need a younger backup. He’s 32, content being a Backup

is that a good thing though? wouldn't you prefer a younger, hungrier backup who pushes your starter? i don't mean a Luongo/Schneider type of drama, but still

Edited by Rubik

Great trade here! Sucks the way it ended for Pearson in Vancouver. But we had wayyy too many wingers and over the cap. With Hoglander needing waivers. Someone needed to go. Desmith is a reliable backup that will provide solid insurance for Demmers. 

Only a 3rd to get us compliant, i am very happy with the state of our roster. 

allvin and Rutherford continue to impress me with their tidy work

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Makes me wonder how this forward group will play against teams that play a physical brand of hockey 

I'm a touch worried about that as well. Would like one of Garland or Beauvillier moved out for some more grit and size.

At least we've been doing our hip thrusts and gotten somewhat bigger on the back end.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

thanks for everything, pearse. guy got a bad rap here, always led by playing the game the right way. versatile and consistent commensurate to his salary.

other guys I'd rather give up first to cut salary, but I suspect the relationship with the organization was damaged beyond repair. 

I agree. Pearson plays a responsible game, just overpaid. Typical JB overpayment. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But look at the individuals that are small.  They all have some bite to their game.  Size could be an issue in the playoffs.  I don’t think it would (often) be a problem during the regular season.

I would have been concerned about Pearsons pace, and ability to get up to speed for opening night. Though he did add something this team doesn't really have in spades, in his size and two way abilities. Would still like to see that addressed in the bottom half of the lineup this season. 

• ThereItIs 1