[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

58 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

The Pearson extension was a major blunder by Benning but the predicament we found ourselves in as an indictment on the current regime's continued inability to manage our cap situation in an effective way.  

Bingo. This current management's decision making is still under question at this point because they are trading away draft picks. This trade, however, isn't so bad (better than trading 2nd round picks). We'll see how this team REALLY does this season.

1 minute ago, Guile said:

I take it you're a Habs fan, Q? Haven't paid much attention to them the past few years as they rebuild. I know this is just one possible set of lines, but that's actually a strikingly fun, young top-6 and that veteran third line can probably handle primary shutdown / defensive duties. Looks alright to me! I hope the guys in the second line all have successful years.

I have heard that Josh Anderson is a pretty divisive player though - speed and size but not a ton of smarts? I'm sure that Suzuki can make him (or anyone else) look excellent, though.

Habaroos have been trying to dumperoo Anderson (and his top ten worst contract in the league) since new management arrived. They are stuck with that anchor. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think its down to 10 now. So probably no Canadian teams, no AZ.... who else? hard to say if he'd throw Buffalo on there or not.

He's already played there before, so I suppose the familiarity factor might be possible.  But then again, I could see him potentially being disgruntled from having been moved from there to the wasteland of Winterpeg.  🤷‍♂️

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Damn, I'm disappointed to learn the reason DeSmith left the University of New Hampshire in the NCAA wasn't because he got a NHL deal but because he was arrested for domestic violence and accepted a plea bargain. After this, he never played a game with the team again and signed an ECHL deal. He actually missed the 2014-2015 season because of his charges.

https://www.uscho.com/2014/11/19/desmith-no-longer-on-new-hampshire-roster/

Ugh.

There is a link to an additional story, but it is short on details.

Just DeSmith saying he's learned alcohol can be a problem, and saying the media is misrepresenting things.

But he doesn't add anything else.

14 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Unless someone performs a miracle on Price then I don’t think it matters either way for Montreal in terms of cap compliance.

Montreal is closer to being cap compliant WITH Price.  They'd need to paper a couple guys down for the start of thecseadin then they can put Price on in-season LTIR. 

Just now, Outsiders said:

Alf who left bigger stains? Benning or Bergevin?

Gallagher, Anderson... Price?

Wow! Crazy how terrible those two GMs were. But Benning did bring in elite talent in Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller. Bergeclown brought in nothing except Suzuki. And he’s not elite. He’s good though. 

Never great giving up a top 3 round pick but all things considered this is a solid move.

Getting additional cap space & solidifying a legit need w/ DeSmith are positives.

Also given the buzz they were planning to waive Pearson making this move instead of walking into that controversy is important - this team needs to focus for once.

I was cheering for Pearson to come back & be a useful player again in his final year, but unfortunately there's a cap reality & this was a logical move to make. I'm sure his teammates are disappointed but hopefully it doesn't linger too long. And good for Tanner to get an opportunity to stay in the league.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised, I think he stays, I don't see there being much of a demand for him at his cap hit regardless of actual dollars paid 

It's a one year deal, I think it'd be shortsighted to give up anything of value to move him when at worst he's a guy with top 4D experience who can step up in a pinch, assuming he doesn't start in the top 4 

I suspect he'd do just fine in a smaller role, and on a team more committed to defense, which we should be if we want to make the playoffs 

I think thats probably likely, but at least other GMs don't have cap compliance leverage against us anymore so that levels things a bit.

We'll see, if someone loses a RD in camp maybe something happens. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Kuz-petey-boeser

Podz-Miller-Hogz

Mik-Suter-Garland

Beav-Blug-Joshua

Huggy-Julssun

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Demko

Desmith

Hopefully we can trade Beau for a second or prospect and gain some more cap space , I don’t see a fit for home on our lineup and would rather someone with more size and grit in his spot on the 4th line … trade beau and add PDG??

Edited by CaptainQuin

1 hour ago, Rubik said:

is that a good thing though? wouldn't you prefer a younger, hungrier backup who pushes your starter? i don't mean a Luongo/Schneider type of drama, but still

No because Demko doesn’t need to be pushed by anyone he’s as competitive as they come, as was Luongo. 

we have 2 potential Heir apparents in Silovs and potentially Tolopilo. You let them develop and don’t waste money on another goalie. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow! Crazy how terrible those two GMs were. But Benning did bring in elite talent in Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller. Bergeclown brought in nothing except Suzuki. And he’s not elite. He’s good though. 

It would be an interesting debate to see who’s the worse GM, Benning or Bergevin. Bergevin and the Canadiens have a habit it seems for questionable high draft picks. Kotkaniemi is was a bad reach and everyone knew it then. This year they passed on Michkov.. 

and Bergevin wasn’t even there… their scouts are a problem 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think thats probably likely, but at least other GMs don't have cap compliance leverage against us anymore so that levels things a bit.

We'll see, if someone loses a RD in camp maybe something happens. 

They don't, but that makes it more likely they'd have to actually want him and not an asset they could have gotten imo

He also gives us size on the back end which is important as there's not a ton of it up front 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, JamesB said:

My take:

1. According to my calculations (based on Cap Friendly and assuming Rathbone is waived to Abby and Wolanin is on the big team), the Canucks should now be fully cap compliant with a 23-man roster to start the season. This assumes that Poolman is on LTIR and Mikheyev is on the active roster. 

2. Sorry to see Tanner go, but he was the odd man out. He is past his prime and his cap hit was too high for what he brings to the table relative to other Canuck wingers. 

3. DeSmith is probably an upgrade over Martin as the backup although there will be competition in pre-season. In my view, it never made sense for Silovs to be the backup as he needs to play, so Abby is the right spot for him. Now that the Canucks have an affiliation with Kalamazoo again, their extra goalie (or goalies) can play there.

4.Don't like losing the 3rd round pick but it is probably worth it. I think this is a good trade. 

5. I wish Tanner good luck in Montreal.  

We don't have to waive Rathbone. We could waive Studnicka or Dries and still have room for another defenseman.