[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

All the best to Pearson, who was rock solid, class act for us.  Hope he recovers and bounces back this season. 

That said, the cap circus aside, adding DeSmith is the real prize here.  Wasn’t sold on either Martin or sparsely using Silovs next year. 

My offseason wish list was: 3C, 4C who can penalty kill, D partner for Hughes and a backup goalie. 

We filled it with Suter, Bleuger, Cole (or Hronek) and now DeSmith.  Throw in Soucy after the OEL buyout to boot.

All veteran guys who should help keep the puck out of the net.  Will they all pan out? Probably not.  But you have to give management some credit for seriously addressing the team’s ability to keep the puck out of the net.

Nailed it. Wishlist ✔️ed off. Added structure, new mentality on handling pressure with pressure from coaching staff who have won... lfg.

• Cheers 2

We're still top heavy with forwards, but it sure make it easier to wait for the right deal on Garland, or Beauvillier.

BU was the single biggest thing thing could torpedo us if Demmer is hurt so good job Allvin.

Also to get off to the right start we have as much depth as possible to get that done.

Get the training camp party started!

3 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Did not think management was going to pull this off without yet again paying a premium.  Great move to pull out while working from a position of weakness and turning it into an organizational win.  

I agree with @Coconuts that we don't need to trade Myers and most likely will need him as we usually go through 8+ defensemen a year.  Playing a reduced role should help solidify his game.

Management did a great job shoring up organizational depth as we now have it in all positions, while being cap compliant.

Let's get this show on the road!

I agree with your outlook on the trade. Yes we gave up the third to dump Pear however. We were bloated with forwards and we needed to sign Suter for the 3C and that put us over the cap with that move but it was absolutely a need to upgrade our centre depth and now we upgraded our goalie depth as well. People should be seeing this as a swap. 

In:

Suter

DeSmith

Out

Pearson

3rd

While I dislike seeing the team having to trading draft picks for past mistakes, we are almost out of Benning’s bumbling mess. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's pretty revisionist history.  He was great two seasons ago when put in the same pressure situation.  The difference between that and last year was the complete absence of a defensive system.  Tretyiak would have looked awful under those conditions

Umm he played a total of SIX games at the end of a year when there was no pressure (and yes played well) in 2021/22 

no revisionist history here

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145070

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Why do you assume a rookie goalie with a handful of nhl games is a better choice than a seasoned goalie with good career numbers to be the backup.  DeSmith is a far far safer choice if the Canucks hope to make a run for the playoffs 

It's not an assumption. I just feel silovs is very talented and ready for a backup role.  If not he can be sent down. 

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Allvin was cleaning up Benning's mess with signing Pearson for too long and too much. 

Imo Pearson wasn't over paid or over long.

He falls into the " want a bit more from that toolbox" perception, so people get disappointed in what he wasn't rather than being happy with what he was.

A mid to upper  level 2nd line winger, that plays a good board game, reasonable offence, and enough defence to be out there with a 1 goal lead in the last minute of a game. He could play top line minutes, for a few games per year, as an injury sub.

Cap friendly page of comparables

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/tanner-pearson-10438

I'd take Tanner over the next 7 guys listed, all at over $3 mill.

I wish Tanner the best on his new team.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to be a goalie in the NHL. look at Martin, stole the show in the AHL, came up 2 years ago and looked amazing 

then when thrust into pressure when Demko went down, sadly crumbled 

Now Martin will have to fix himself and that’s not what we want out of Silovs

Look at how we developed Schneider, extra time in the AHL. Demko played 3 years against men in college and 2 in the AHL as the starter and he was much more developed than Silovs 

On top of that, DeSmith has proven he’s a quality back up

Silovs need to be starting and playing in the AHL to further develop

not sure why you’d want to risk his development 

But that's different. As you said Martin was fine until thrust into the starting role. I'm not proposing Silovs is in a starting role, but a backup role with additional games in abby. 

I've been onboard with Silovs as backup thus far.  But I admit I'm not familiar with desmith. 

I just think the team needs every point they can get at this point. And up till now, I'd choose Silov over Martin for that role. 

I hope that if we play well and make some noise in the playoffs we may actually be able to sell high on one of Brock/Garland/Kuzzmenko  as much as I appreciate each of them for different reasons. MGMT need to take a hard look at them and try to find a 2/3 right shot shut down 2/3 C or RHD with size who can play big mins. 

if they can fix the roster by being competitive I will be immensely impressed. 

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Imo Pearson wasn't over paid or over long.

He falls into the " want a bit more from that toolbox" perception, so people get disappointed in what he wasn't rather than being happy with what he was.

A mid to upper  level 2nd line winger, that plays a good board game, reasonable offence, and enough defence to be out there with a 1 goal lead in the last minute of a game. He could play top line minutes, for a few games per year, as an injury sub.

Cap friendly page of comparables

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/tanner-pearson-10438

I'd take Tanner over the next 7 guys listed, all at over $3 mill.

I wish Tanner the best on his new team.

I'd say it's pretty widely agreed upon that Benning handed out a-year-too-many-and-for-too-much contracts like candy. Pearson was one of them, regardless of what he was. Granted, he had some good years alongside Bo, but Benning also ostensibly signed Pearson to said contract to appease Bo after letting other friends like Toffoli walk. 

We now need cap space and room for the new guys like Hogs, and we got it by paying a 3rd and a cap dump for cap space and a solid backup goalie. It was a savvy trade to fill needs, and when you compare this trade to how Benning filled needs (e.g. Holtby as our backup for $4m+ and then a buyout), it's night and day.

• Cheers 1

First trade on the new forum sure feels weird without Vintage to break it. I am just happy to have 16 pages of analysis by my fellow over invested fans. Good luck to Tanner  but something had to give.  Hopefully we can remain cap compliant and stop throwing away draft picks for deals we have no choice to make. Tanner and a third for cap compliance and a decent backup isn’t a bad deal. I wonder if Martin could get a late round pick or better after a few keepers get injured. Either way there will be more changes coming. Myers, Beau, Garland can’t all be staying forever and hold some value. Now that GM’s can’t hold the cap over our heads I feel that deals get a little easier  

• Like 1