[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

I did not like the trade when I first saw it but it grew on me. Thought that there were enough goalies in the organization and I really want to see an end to the "let's throw a pick in there" trades. But Silovs is younger than I remembered and the pick is in 2025. Maybe another AHL season is good for him. 

I also think that Pearson just wasn't interested in playing for the Canucks anymore. And there is a really good chance that he will be struggling in the coming season. 

There is this tiny bit of hope that this could be the last time we needed to add a pick in a trade like this because we are now compliant and got rid of everything that was urgent besides Myers who will likely stay until at least TDL. 

Edited by Vollmilch90
  • Cheers 1

the trade was fine it wasn't necessary as we would have been cap compliant regardless. however this would get us below the cap prior to the start of the season with a minimal roster. this move does pretty much guaranteed a post for hoglander because of his waiver eligibility.. and unless someone absolutely outplays him there's no way he'd lose his spot. 

As 18 pages of posters have said (and 2 pages of haters but we'll ignore them) it's a good trade. Address an area of need, unload an area we needed to in terms of money, and create some space for somebody to fit. Pearson was not in the long term vision so it makes no sense to keep him. We traded a third for an actual legitimate backup goalie AND unloaded some cap. I don't mind that. A good trade for both sides I reckon.

I like when a management team has a 'plan' for a long term vision and actually makes moves consistent with that vision rather than go on free agent / trade block in NHL and see "ooooh piece of candy" and shoehorn it in.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

The Pearson extension was a major blunder by Benning but the predicament we found ourselves in as an indictment on the current regime's continued inability to manage our cap situation in an effective way.  

The current regime are handling the cap just fine. Enough with the dumb takes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

the trade was fine it wasn't necessary as we would have been cap compliant regardless. however this would get us below the cap prior to the start of the season with a minimal roster. this move does pretty much guaranteed a post for hoglander because of his waiver eligibility.. and unless someone absolutely outplays him there's no way he'd lose his spot. 

Three things missing from this club to makes us a regular playoff team:

A legit NHL back-up goalie.

A Sutter or Maholtra (good 3c)

Another legit top four D.

This was necessary, and the easiest of these things to accomplish.    Was nice that the 3rd rounder was pushed into the future, we have time to re-acquire that.   It's also nice shave cap, every little bit counts. 

DeSmith is also better than the experienced vets available this summer (Jones etc).   He can play 20-30 games.

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This was necessary, and the easiest of these things to accomplish.    Was nice that the 3rd rounder was pushed into the future, we have time to re-acquire that.   It's also nice shave cap, every little bit counts. 

DeSmith is also better than the experienced vets available this summer (Jones etc).   He can play 20-30 games.

Suter flopped a bit as a 2C but I think he is more than capable as a 3C and Blueger is also a borderline 3C. Both are very good defensively and on the PK. If we could have moved Boeser to sign a 5-6M 2nd line centre (JT Comper) and dropped Myers for a legit #3 for $5M (Garikov) I think we would have all the pieces 

4 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Spencer Martin was put in the absolutely worst possible situation last season.  

Thrust into starting position, on a team that was out of the playoffs 20 games into season, playing for a lame duck coach where everyone gave up on the system and structure. 

He was great for Abby after he got his confidence back and was responsible for leading them to the playoffs. 

Just saying 

That was my first thought too. Doesn't mean you can't try and upgrade, and if that's all this trade was, then I would grade it lower, but it gives Pearson a new start and clears some cap for us.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

NHL doesn’t run 2 scoring lines a shutdown line and a goon line anymore. 
The good teams run 3 scoring lines and the 4th line is what we used to think of as the third. A shutdown line where your PKers live. 
Suter as a centre of a third scoring line is a pretty good option.  Decent scoring and very good analytics. 
The NHL backup was a very necessary thing because of Demko’s injury history.  It also clarifies AHL will be Silov’s team and ECHL will be Topo’s. 
PA has sort of addressed every hole in the club but like any team, especially one that consistently focuses on building through UFAs, we have our warts. 
Our forward depth is good but is tiny and lacks high end wingers for the incredible number we have, our D looks much bigger and deeper but is asking players to play higher up in the lineup than they previously have.  I really don’t know how Hronek will fit or which Hronek will show up. The minute munching 2nd pair guy we were sold or the defensive liability that is a poor passer that Detroit fans describe.  There is always the question of Demko’s health. 
If everything works, Podz grows into a top 6 PF, Mik comes back and hasn’t lost a step, Hronek comes in and is solid and Soucy can play higher than 3rd pairing for first time in his career, and some of the plethora of struggling little wingers recover their games, it still feels like we are a top 4 RD short of a really good team.  
Given his restraints PA has done an admirable job of filling the holes on the club.  I have some quibbles about how it was done and some significant waisted opportunities but that is easy from my chair. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

this trade was unnecessary.. i'd be fine with silov martin or whoever else ends up on waiver for backup. you guys are so quick to toss every backup goalie we had into the dumpster.. so demko struggled coz the defence sucked.. but martin is trash coz the defence sucks.. then the year before it was halak sucks even though he was over .910 sv% in 80% of the games he started but got 0 goal support.. cap wise sending Pearson thru the waivers either he gets picked up or or we bury 1.25mil in the ahl which would accomplish the same cap saving minus desmith. i honestly don't see paying an aging declining goalie that struggled all season after core muscle surgery the previous season is an upgrade in the backup position.. more wasted cap space imo.. for a goalie core muscle is too important.. i don't expect him to ever regain his form prior to the injury.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

this trade was unnecessary.. i'd be fine with silov martin or whoever else ends up on waiver for backup. you guys are so quick to toss every backup goalie we had into the dumpster.. so demko struggled coz the defence sucked.. but martin is trash coz the defence sucks.. then the year before it was halak sucks even though he was over .910 sv% in 80% of the games he started but got 0 goal support.. cap wise sending Pearson thru the waivers either he gets picked up or or we bury 1.25mil in the ahl which would accomplish the same cap saving minus desmith. i honestly don't see paying an aging declining goalie that struggled all season after core muscle surgery the previous season is an upgrade in the backup position.. more wasted cap space imo.. for a goalie core muscle is too important.. i don't expect him to ever regain his form prior to the injury.

We dumped more cap trading Pearson than sending him down. Plus, we can still send deSmith to the minors and bring up Martin and save another 500k. The total cap clearance could be 2 million. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Not the narrative at all. Markstrom and Demko were excellent despite the defense being horrible. Demko struggled because of a season-long injury that he attempted to play through because our medical staff is a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

So our goalie depth now is

Thatcher Demko

Casey DeSmith

Arturs Silovs

Spencer Martin

Zach Sawchenko

Nikita Tolopilo

Jonathan Lemieux (AHL contract)

I believe Kalamazoo wings have a goalie signed as well and just offered a tryout to another goalie.

It's great to have depth, but someone is losing playing time. Just feels like something's gotta give.

4 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

It's great to have depth, but someone is losing playing time. Just feels like something's gotta give.

All things considered, it's easier to trade a backup 'tender in surplus than it is a winger in surplus, given that more teams will need a warm body in net at some point, vs wingers which are more in abundance and are more easily called up.  That's been the ongoing issue we've faced: a glut of wingers and no takers.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

We wouldn't have been cap compliant because Pearson was off LTIR. We would have been 2mil or so over. Which would have meant moving players down to abby and potentally Hoglander which we clearly didn't want to lose.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We dumped more cap trading Pearson than sending him down. Plus, we can still send deSmith to the minors and bring up Martin and save another 500k. The total cap clearance could be 2 million. 

so 750k cap space vs sending pearson down for a 3rd round pick? seems steep