[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Why do you say he didn’t want to play here? He refused a media interview about the trade because he was upset. 

At this point it feels like scorched earth here in Vancouver. Was it clearly stated that he was upset about the trade? Or could he be upset because of the situation overall? 

I am not quoting any source. It just feels like he may want to close this chapter after all the frustration 

Edited by Vollmilch90

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

we would be cap complaint after roster cut and sending people down. right now after the trade we are sitting on 85.4mil aprox 2mil over the cap with poolman to be put on ltir that'll make us compliant.. before the trade we would be sitting at aprox 3.4mil over the cap send down poolman we still need to find 900k.. but that's with a roster of 22 + mikheyev so 23.. we can easily send a player or pearson down to the minors and that would cover the 900k to make us cap compliant.. we have a bunch of players we can send down.. pdg.. dries.. studnicka rathbone even pearson.. all of those can be sent before hoglander so there's no worries about cap compliant or hoglander.

They wouldn't have sent Pearson down given the drama it would have caused in the media and the room

To suggest as such is silly imho. Therefore, if you look at roster requirements, and the fact we would have been 3 mil over cap, we would have had issues.

• Upvote 2

Late to the Arty Party, but I like this trade aside from the fact that it might take away from Arty being our backup to Demmer. That being said, if Demmer stays healthy and we do well I could see him getting a ton of starts. If DeSmith gets around 20 starts that means Demmer is healthy and performing well. It may be just as good for Arty and Top of Pillow (that is what the captions were calling him on YouTube during Young Stars) to split the season in Abby. Wish the best to Pearsy as he has dealt with some adversity recently and I think the fresh start is good for both parties. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, JamesB said:

7. I hope that Mikheyev is ready to go. Last year the the line of Petey, Kuz, and Mik was excellent -- certainly one of the top 10 lines in the league when they played together. And that was with Mik at less than full speed due to his knee injury. But it sounds as though Mik might not be ready to start the season. If so, both Hogz and Pods would have an opportunity somewhere in the lineup.

While I can understand why Mik and the management as well, deciding to play until the new year.  For Mik he wanted to get on the ice with his new team, and for management the last thing they needed was one of their main acquisitions going down before the season even started. The optics alone.

In 20/20 hindsight,  we still had a rotten start, and now we are seeing that it was overly optimistic that with this kind of surgery that a player does not need more time to recover properly. I believe it was Roussel who had a similar operation and described how it took a season and a half to feel normal there again.  Sure it would have been a PR hit for the team but jeez, if only they'd immediately done the surgery right after it happened. He probably won't even be up to the same level as he was last season yet. It will take him another 6 months to get up to speed.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

this trade was unnecessary.. i'd be fine with silov martin or whoever else ends up on waiver for backup. you guys are so quick to toss every backup goalie we had into the dumpster.. so demko struggled coz the defence sucked.. but martin is trash coz the defence sucks.. then the year before it was halak sucks even though he was over .910 sv% in 80% of the games he started but got 0 goal support.. cap wise sending Pearson thru the waivers either he gets picked up or or we bury 1.25mil in the ahl which would accomplish the same cap saving minus desmith. i honestly don't see paying an aging declining goalie that struggled all season after core muscle surgery the previous season is an upgrade in the backup position.. more wasted cap space imo.. for a goalie core muscle is too important.. i don't expect him to ever regain his form prior to the injury.

Martin was part of the problem last year, so was Demko early on.   It wasn't just our trash defense.    I absolutely agree with Halak.   What's the guy supposed to do?  Win his games 1-0 and 2-1 every time?  Wasn't part of the Halak sucks train.   We did needed to add a veteran NHL BACK-up.   Not Martin, that experiment is over.   DeSmith is a pro, and isn't 35.   I've had a lot of core muscle injuries, none of them became an issue until my mid forties.    DeSmith should be fine.   The tank is over for now.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

To Start the season 

Hogs Petey Kuzmenko 

Beau Miller Boeser

PDG Suter Garland

Joshua Blueger Podkolzin 

Dries 

Hughes Soucy  

Cole Hronek 

Wolanen Myers

Irwin Juulsen 

Demko 
De Smith 

Are you attempting to waive Studnicka? I think Dries is less likely to be claimed personally. 

Goaltending looks so much more secure though with DeSmith.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so 750k cap space vs sending pearson down for a 3rd round pick? seems steep

That’s the cost and it gets Pearson (a very popular guy in the room) to a new situation without sending him to the minors. Although playing for the Habaroos is pretty much the same thing. 😆

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s the cost and it gets Pearson (a very popular guy in the room) to a new situation without sending him to the minors. Although playing for the Habaroos is pretty much the same thing. 😆

If Pearson shows well, theres a good chance the Habs will move him to a contender at the deadline as well.

3 hours ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

Awful trade. That 3rd round pick could be anything. It could even be an Elias Pettersson

/s

It’s all fun and games until you print a copy of our depth chart, laminate it.
take it into the bathroom.

Draw a bath.

Light a few candles.

Put on some Lil peep.

Get into the bath with the laminated copy of our organizational depth chart. Read it, Feel it, and realize how we got there. 
suddenly the /s is gone. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Sorry to nitpick, but here are a few comments.

1. I think the Canucks will probably run with 13 forwards and 8 D's. That has become pretty common in the NHL and JR seems to prefer it. But I could be wrong. There are some cap-elated issues that might favour running with 14 forwards.

2. I am not sure I would call 6'0 "small". The median height for NHL players last year was 6'1. Last year, fully 22 teams (including the Canucks) had an average height of 6'1. Overall team height does not vary much from team to team.  

3. Weight might be more relevant. I think that this year the Canucks should be close to the league average, maybe slightly below.

4. But strength and aggressiveness are even more relevant. I think this year the Canucks will play a stronger,  tougher game and they have brought in some guys who can do that. And obviously Tochett wants to play that way and most the guys have been working hard to get stronger this summer.

5, While is it possible that Hirose might make the team, I think it is unlikely as he can benefit from playing a lot in all situations (PP, PK, and even strength) in Abby. And, while he looked good at the young stars, I don't think he looked good enough for the NHL yet.  He needs to continue to add strength and tighten up some aspects of his defensive play. My prediction is that Wolanin and Irwin will get the 3LD and 4LD slots.

6. The forward lines look pretty good except that I expect Garland to play with Suter. Those two guys would make two-thirds a good two-way line. And, while PDG did well with Miller and Boeser at the end of last year, I think he is a longshot to start on the 2nd line this year. It could happen but there will be a lot of competition in pre-season.

7. I hope that Mikheyev is ready to go. Last year the the line of Petey, Kuz, and Mik was excellent -- certainly one of the top 10 lines in the league when they played together. And that was with Mik at less than full speed due to his knee injury. But it sounds as though Mik might not be ready to start the season. If so, both Hogz and Pods would have an opportunity somewhere in the lineup.

Fair comments prefaced with an apology. I like it.

• Cheers 1