[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

18 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Question: Describe the Canucks as best as you can

There's nothing we hate more than draft picks during a rebuild, hate them more than having cap space during a rebuild.

We aren’t in a rebuild or even retool. Management shifted into all in for the cup mode when they couldn’t sign EP. 
They will throw every future asset they can into getting into the playoffs this year to convince EP to stay. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

I have liked Pearson... Why... Why...  guess he will end up at NY Islanders next season...

bye... will miss you....

that would be a good fit for him actually, assuming he's comfortable with it from a personal standpoint. the bo connection obviously, but he's a lou lamoriello type player and the age fit is in lou's wheelhouse too. 

Quick search of DeSmith’s stats and I like this trade even more:

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.80ec76ac2b24fa100cadc686612b4cfb.jpeg

Not sure how easy that pasted image will read, but it’s the numbers in the last two columns I’m mostly looking at. GSAA (goals saved above average) and GSAx (goals saved above expected). Pretty solid stats overall, especially for a backup.

EDIT: maybe this is easier to read

IMG_3603.jpeg.74d5b5ff1f71e8d22e469a904499fe0d.jpeg

Edited by SISMIM
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

If you check out our capfriendly page you’ll see that we now only need Tucker Poolman in order to be compliant.  Even gives us a whopping 500k of space! Lol

They added a category that factors in LTIR candidates.  I for one have found this wildly helpful.

Yes I’ve checked there all the time haha. Thank you though. We are short one player on the roster and no one makes 500k so maybe we run only one spare forward and one spare D

• Cheers 1

I thought CDC was overly hard on Pearson.  He was a solid go to the net guy who provided grit and a reasonable amount of scoring for his middling salary. Problem is the middle class disappeared from the NHL.
Plus: We got him for Gudbranson!  Not the fair to passable Gudbranson in Calgary, the horrible Guddy we had here. 
The contract CBJ gave him may be the worst NHL contract since PlayerName or OEL.

I expected more angst for a low level deal. 

Not overly thrilled about the 3rd, but not unexpected given the cap squeeze and chance Pearson can't perform. 

This does make a Myers deal maybe a bit more likely, fwiw. Also happy about the spot opening for Hogs.

Also a nice thing to do for Pearson to find him a good place to land, vs. waivers. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Pearson might not even be a good NHLer anymore. Canucks cleared cap and a winger, and got Demko a quality backup. 

Cs - Pettersson, Miller, Suter, Blueger   A

Ws - Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Boeser, Beauvillier, Garland, Podkolzin, Joshua   B

Ds - Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Irwin, Hirose   A

Gs - Demko, DeSmith, Silovs   B+

I think the Canucks will do pretty well this year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I'm definitely surprised it was easier to move Pearson than any of Beauvillier, Boeser, or Garland, but happy we got something done and can be cap compliant. Also DeSmith has proven to be a very capable backup goalie which is a huge plus.

Maybe Pearson will be on LTIR? 

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yes I’ve checked there all the time haha. Thank you though. We are short one player on the roster and no one makes 500k so maybe we run only one spare forward and one spare D

I think the forward that you’re missing is Mikheyev.  They squeezed him in to IR (not LTIR) down near the bottom but his cap hit should be factored in.  So it’s all good?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Diamonds said:

I'm definitely surprised it was easier to move Pearson than any of Beauvillier, Boeser, or Garland, but happy we got something done and can be cap compliant. Also DeSmith has proven to be a very capable backup goalie which is a huge plus.

I am not. He is a vet who was solid has won cups and will have value at the deadline and if he has a good year will get them another 3rd or even a second in a package. 
For a team that is rebuilding and had 4 NHL goalies that is a solid pickup without the 3rd we threw in. 
Plus Boeser’s contract is too big to move, we tried for a year.  Nobody wants Garland at that money and length.  Beau had a hot streak with EP but also wasn’t a great defensive player and really has yet to show that he can be a goal scorer at the NHL level. 
I like the add of DeSmith. A solid backup was on my wish list for the off-season.  With Demko you always have a niggling concern about health in the back of your mind. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I expected more angst for a low level deal. 

Not overly thrilled about the 3rd, but not unexpected given the cap squeeze and chance Pearson can't perform. 

This does make a Myers deal maybe a bit more likely, fwiw. Also happy about the spot opening for Hogs.

Also a nice thing to do for Pearson to find him a good place to land, vs. waivers. 

I think it boils down to most people expecting some sort of cost, we had to move cap 

It was never likely to dump a medium to larger sized hit without giving something up 

Just so happens we got a more established NHL backup to boot

• Vintage 1

Damn, I'm disappointed to learn the reason DeSmith left the University of New Hampshire in the NCAA wasn't because he got a NHL deal but because he was arrested for domestic violence and accepted a plea bargain. After this, he never played a game with the team again and signed an ECHL deal. He actually missed the 2014-2015 season because of his charges.

https://www.uscho.com/2014/11/19/desmith-no-longer-on-new-hampshire-roster/

Ugh.