[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Am I the only one that wants Silovs as backup this year.?  He can be sent back and forth to abby for additional games can't he? 

Our best bet for points is silovs.  An extra 5 or so points could be the difference. 

Why do you assume a rookie goalie with a handful of nhl games is a better choice than a seasoned goalie with good career numbers to be the backup.  DeSmith is a far far safer choice if the Canucks hope to make a run for the playoffs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BertaNuck said:

What forum do I engage in

ahhhhhhhhhh

You're in the right one. The old one has almost 3 pages regarding this thread subject. We're already at 13 pages and increasing!

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Martin is back in the AHL. Seems kind of wild that we got that much out of Pearson. How did we win both Pearson trades so hard?

EDIT: Oh, we gave up a third. That makes more sense. Not the worst I guess.

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Martin stinks like a garbage can in a dog park.  
if he plays another game for us, we must be planning on tanking

My guess is it's gonna be DeSmith. Not necessarily though. When Spencer was given the #1 spot after Demmer went down, he obviously couldn't handle the workload. But before such, Spencer's backup performance was really good.

Silovs is gonna be #1 in Abby. And we already know Demmer's #1 with the big club. As far as backups for the respective teams.....I dunno. Desmith is paid twice as much as Spencer. But as we all know, that doesn't mean sh*t. Ya' never know. Spencer might impress after his failure last season.

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

Another year of JB and I would have given up on the Canucks, besides giving away picks and money, to have those  guys sit on the bench, in the minors, playing for other teams or paid to stay home and then having to give up more assets just to get rid of those players, the guy had NO idea how to build a team, we had so many high 2nd round picks being at the bottom and where are they ?

I did not think it was possible for the new group to improve with being capped out and shortage of assets, but they have somehow improved the farm and the  Big team in 1 year after 8 yrs of it being beat down

It is refreshing to see trades not damaging our team

I couldn't agree more. However, I love my Canucks too much to give up on 'em.

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

good trade as I don't have confidence in Martin as our backup lol. 

speaking of Martin... isn't Colorado looking for a goaltender? 😏

While it'll likely be Desmith, we can't judge either of last years goalues by the defensive sh!tshow BB brought to town.  Once Martin got to Abby, in a structured system, he was back to bring the goalie he was was demko went down two years ago.  

The problem was much more coaching than anything players did right or wrong.

• Vintage 1

Hope to see more of this, I do like this trade though, Alvin has been quietly making good move after good move, this really shores up our goaltending, hopefully Myers out and another RHD in is the next move, I am really starting to think this team can make noise this year.  

Edited by CanucksCountry
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Am I the only one that wants Silovs as backup this year.?  He can be sent back and forth to abby for additional games can't he? 

Our best bet for points is silovs.  An extra 5 or so points could be the difference. 

Disagree. Silovs needs time to develop. DeSmith is a real solid backup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Assuming they’re not taking a contract back, they are now cap compliant?

Not yet, but it is certainly getting easier, the cost of DeSmith (who I M O is a great backup to aquire, considering Martin's numbers last year) is now most of the 'overcap' money we have, the sum is getting smaller. Moving Myers would be so perfect, financially, for the Canucks, but he is a valuable NHL Defender still, so it would take away from our Blueline depth. He just isn't worth 6m cap hit..even at the 1million in real salary left to be paid: some team somewhere would love to have him I am sure. 

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Not yet, but it is certainly getting easier, the cost of DeSmith (who I M O is a great backup to aquire, considering Martin's numbers last year) is now most of the 'overcap' money we have, the sum is getting smaller. Moving Myers would be so perfect, financially, for the Canucks, but he is a valuable NHL Defender still, so it would take away from our Blueline depth. He just isn't worth 6m cap hit..even at the 1million in real salary left to be paid: some team somewhere would love to have him I am sure. 

Poolman on the LTR puts us under I think 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dom said:

Disagree. Silovs needs time to develop. DeSmith is a real solid backup. 

I love Silovs so much i drafted him incredibly early in a fantasy keeper league, basically wasted a superstar spot for picking him up, but I agree he is a future awesome tendie, we need to ice the best team possible today, Arturs is a 'best team possible' in a few years time kind of guy. 

• Cheers 1

I think all in all this is a great deal.  A veteran backup and cap compliance for a 3rd and a middling winger which we have an abundance of. The only worry here is optics.  With Pearson finally getting cleared after the surgeries that our current captain called into question, getting traded immediately must have some effect on the room.  Pearson from everything I've heard was a well liked and respected veteran voice.I

t's a tidy piece of business, and I'm happy with it as a fan, just wondering how it's being perceived by the players.

• Huggy Bear 1

The Pearson contract was an overpayment from day 1. We need to stop those types of signings. Will continuously lead to us paying assets to move them out down the road.

At least we got better value than when we moved Dickinson, and hopefully Pearson gets flipped to a playoff team. Would be nice if he can bounce back after the mishandling of the injury.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Master Mind said:

The Pearson contract was an overpayment from day 1. We need to stop those types of signings. Will continuously lead to us paying assets to move them out down the road.

At least we got better value than when we moved Dickinson, and hopefully Pearson gets flipped to a playoff team. Would be nice if he can bounce back after the mishandling of the injury.

Pearson is a player i like, but his reason for being a Canuck got lost in the injuries, he was brought in for the before time, not for this season and beyond. I think this was a great trade and bringing back DeSmith was a solid concept for making this team better. 

Pearson is no slouch, he will earn ice time no matter where he is, here in Vancouver though he was just one of many at doing what he does. 

• Cheers 3