[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

Did not think management was going to pull this off without yet again paying a premium.  Great move to pull out while working from a position of weakness and turning it into an organizational win.  

I agree with @Coconuts that we don't need to trade Myers and most likely will need him as we usually go through 8+ defensemen a year.  Playing a reduced role should help solidify his game.

Management did a great job shoring up organizational depth as we now have it in all positions, while being cap compliant.

Let's get this show on the road!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Am I the only one that wants Silovs as backup this year.?  He can be sent back and forth to abby for additional games can't he? 

Our best bet for points is silovs.  An extra 5 or so points could be the difference. 

I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to be a goalie in the NHL. look at Martin, stole the show in the AHL, came up 2 years ago and looked amazing 

then when thrust into pressure when Demko went down, sadly crumbled 

Now Martin will have to fix himself and that’s not what we want out of Silovs

Look at how we developed Schneider, extra time in the AHL. Demko played 3 years against men in college and 2 in the AHL as the starter and he was much more developed than Silovs 

On top of that, DeSmith has proven he’s a quality back up

Silovs need to be starting and playing in the AHL to further develop

not sure why you’d want to risk his development 

• Cheers 2

Just now, A_G said:

Spittin Chicklets is probably gonna rip VAN on this one lol.

I like the move tho.  Competition is going to be fierce.

ya we needed to move Pearson out regardless of cap problems anyway, we just have too many wingers.

on paper our forward depth looks crazy good. 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Mikheyev

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Suter - Garland

McDonough - Blueger - Podkolzin

Just now, Trebreh said:

ya we needed to move Pearson out regardless of cap problems anyway, we just have too many wingers.

on paper our forward depth looks crazy good. 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Mikheyev

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Suter - Garland

McDonough - Blueger - Podkolzin

Idk

The bottom 6 involves many guys who really need to get it together this year.

2 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Idk

The bottom 6 involves many guys who really need to get it together this year.

that's the exciting part, Hog/Podz/Garland are all coming in with something to prove. I think a fresh start without the coaching drama and a whole training camp with Tocchet will do wonders.

Not a blockbuster by any means and disappointed to give up the 3rd but cap space is worth gold in today's NHL.

DeSmith is a solid NHL backup and with the extra cap savings we'll be compliant once Poolman goes on LTIR.

Decent trade all around. I like the idea of Silovs developing another yr. DeSmith should help manage Demko's work load. 

3 hours ago, Reznor said:

Yeah, but Demko is obviously our #1, and Martin didn't fare well for us in his NHL stint, and I was comfortable with him as backup. Silvos has great promise, but I'd rather he play a year as the #1 in Abby, and maybe get a few NHL games in to see where he is at near the end of the season. This way, he doesn't ruin his development should he flounder being forced into the backup role too early. 

Tolopilo has actually looked better than I expected, and will serve well as the backup in Abby. That leaves DeSmith as the most appropriate candidate for backup with the big club. 

I do question where this leaves Martin as third string in the AHL. 

I like this trade, though. Solves our backup situation, and reduces our cap hit. And while I kinda wanted to see Pearson back on this team, he IS coming off a long layoff, so there is a question as to how rusty he will be. Additionally, we have too many wingers, so this helps reduce the glut.

Like the trade 3r rounder in 2025..Canucks will be picking up draft picks in other trades before 2025..

Demko  27 -top 10 goalie.

Desmith  32- Solid NHL backup just what Vancouver needs until SIlvos is ready next season. -UFA 2024

Silovs  22-- Will be ready for NHL next season-- give him 45 - 50 AHL games  - 3- 5 NHL starts

Martin  28 - scary if Demko is out for ay injuries. Martin has not given team much confidence to be NHL backup

Tolopilo 24 - Needs AHL games see how good he is?

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

FORGET THE TRADE! CANUCKS FANS (Mostly myself) NEED TO KNOW IF THE BUNNIE STILL HAS CARUT AND IF IT MADE IT TO THE NEW FORUM. Sorry for yelling, I just thought it was strange seeing your name without this. Cheers my Campbell River Canucks/Bruins fan. Always love the banter and good hockey talk!

BBEA0E4C-32FD-47D6-9A20-A8DE23F81FCC.jpeg

I am still debating keeping that or changing it 😲

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to be a goalie in the NHL. look at Martin, stole the show in the AHL, came up 2 years ago and looked amazing 

then when thrust into pressure when Demko went down, sadly crumbled 

Now Martin will have to fix himself and that’s not what we want out of Silovs

Look at how we developed Schneider, extra time in the AHL. Demko played 3 years against men in college and 2 in the AHL as the starter and he was much more developed than Silovs 

On top of that, DeSmith has proven he’s a quality back up

Silovs need to be starting and playing in the AHL to further develop

not sure why you’d want to risk his development 

That's pretty revisionist history.  He was great two seasons ago when put in the same pressure situation.  The difference between that and last year was the complete absence of a defensive system.  Tretyiak would have looked awful under those conditions