[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

I like the trade, and as solid as Pearson was, there is definitely doubt as to his condition and ability moving forward, so I’ll take the back up goalie and cap space in a heartbeat. Third round pick hurts a bit, but you’ve got to pay to play.

• Cheers 1

I look at this trade as Pearson and a 3rd for Desmiths and Suter. We traded a winger (with baggage) from our ridiculously bloated collection and received help in 2 areas that we needed depth.

Also happy to distance our team from the whole "operationgate". The saga will obviously draw out in court proceedings but won't be part of the locker talk.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Am I the only one that wants Silovs as backup this year.?  He can be sent back and forth to abby for additional games can't he? 

Our best bet for points is silovs.  An extra 5 or so points could be the difference. 

You have to keep in mind that the NHL is a huge step from the AHL. Your comments on him being the "best bet for points" can only be a guess at best since he only has 5 games under his belt. Perhaps he's ready, but also perhaps he isn't. I don't think it's wise to rush a goalie, especially one who looks like they have as bright a future as Silovs.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

You have to keep in mind that the NHL is a huge step from the AHL. Your comments on him being the "best bet for points" can only be a guess at best. Perhaps he's ready, but also perhaps he isn't. I don't think it's wise to rush a goalie, especially one who looks like they have as bright a future as Silovs.

Yes. 
In Clarke we trust. 

• Cheers 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-next-for-the-blue-jackets/

12. Vancouver trading Tanner Pearson to Montreal is the best thing for everyone involved, including the player. There were a lot of hard feelings in the aftermath of the multi-surgery mayhem that put his career into uncertainty and cast doubt on the Canucks medical staff. It’s great to see him looking healthy enough to play. When the summer began Vancouver wasn’t expecting him to be ready so they made other moves, but Pearson's potential return would have caused a salary-cap and positional logjam for the Canucks. One of the things they could have considered was putting Pearson on waivers. That wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

13. The trade also solved a Montreal problem. DeSmith joined Jake Allen, Samuel Montembeault and Cayden Primeau as Canadiens’ goalies ready to play and needing waivers. Ever since the trade with Pittsburgh, the Canadiens were working to move DeSmith. 

• Like 3

Just now, elvis15 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-next-for-the-blue-jackets/

12. Vancouver trading Tanner Pearson to Montreal is the best thing for everyone involved, including the player. There were a lot of hard feelings in the aftermath of the multi-surgery mayhem that put his career into uncertainty and cast doubt on the Canucks medical staff. It’s great to see him looking healthy enough to play. When the summer began Vancouver wasn’t expecting him to be ready so they made other moves, but Pearson's potential return would have caused a salary-cap and positional logjam for the Canucks. One of the things they could have considered was putting Pearson on waivers. That wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

13. The trade also solved a Montreal problem. DeSmith joined Jake Allen, Samuel Montembeault and Cayden Primeau as Canadiens’ goalies ready to play and needing waivers. Ever since the trade with Pittsburgh, the Canadiens were working to move DeSmith. 

This trade is great for all sides. Watch that idiot Drance come up with something negative in his stupid radio rant tomorrow.