[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

Here's the thing. Yes, we need to shore up our defence. But Pesce just had a career year. 82 games and 30 points. And he's a pending UFA.

I just don't think we have the kind of pieces that Carolina is going to want. Carolina is in win now mode. They aren't going to care about draft picks. What they are going to want are pieces that will put them over the top. Carolina is also tight against the cap. And next season they have $30+ million in cap. So if they want to keep him I don't think there's going to be an issue.

They are not going to want a package of Hoglander/Myers and a 1st. I'm saying you won't get a RHD like Pesce. What you can look for is maybe a team with a surplus of defenseman, and make a deal that makes sense for both sides.

Going after Pesce to me is the right idea, but the wrong player, at the wrong price.

Besides, has it been printed anywhere what teams Pesce won't go to?

43 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-next-for-the-blue-jackets/

12. Vancouver trading Tanner Pearson to Montreal is the best thing for everyone involved, including the player. There were a lot of hard feelings in the aftermath of the multi-surgery mayhem that put his career into uncertainty and cast doubt on the Canucks medical staff. It’s great to see him looking healthy enough to play. When the summer began Vancouver wasn’t expecting him to be ready so they made other moves, but Pearson's potential return would have caused a salary-cap and positional logjam for the Canucks. One of the things they could have considered was putting Pearson on waivers. That wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

13. The trade also solved a Montreal problem. DeSmith joined Jake Allen, Samuel Montembeault and Cayden Primeau as Canadiens’ goalies ready to play and needing waivers. Ever since the trade with Pittsburgh, the Canadiens were working to move DeSmith. 

Glad to see the reference to Animal House still in your profile. 🙂

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

No. They need to get rid of that chaotic giraffe 

Soon enough. They can cross that bridge at the TDL. Still looking pretty thin on the right side and Mysie still eats a lot of minutes. Unless they have a decent enough, consistent enough replacement I wouldn't expect him to go anywhere.  And just think. Maybe Foote and Gonchar work their magic and he becomes a powerhouse this year... resulting in Allvin giving him an extension.

May the chaos never die.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

But that's different. As you said Martin was fine until thrust into the starting role. I'm not proposing Silovs is in a starting role, but a backup role with additional games in abby. 

I've been onboard with Silovs as backup thus far.  But I admit I'm not familiar with desmith. 

I just think the team needs every point they can get at this point. And up till now, I'd choose Silov over Martin for that role. 

Silovs is one year removed from the OHL.

As comparisons 

Demko 3 years in NCAA, 2 years in the AHL before he was a backup 

Schneider 3 years in the NCAA, 3 years in the AHL before he was a backup 

I’m not quite sure why you’d want to rush a goalie who needs to develop and play more than sit on the bench 

moreover, Silovs is by no means ahead in his development than Demko or Schnieder were.

There’s a reason we have developed our best goalies in that manner, because they need the reps and experience and to be able to learn to prepare mentally as well for the demands of the pro game.

Rushing a player is silly 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Martin sucks rocks. Not an NHL goalie. I'am super happy with this deal.

On a random note, isn't it amazing what one season does to a player? I swear only a couple of years ago there were literally posts saying how Martin should be a starter in the NHL. lol

• Haha 2

Smart decisions :

hughes captaincy

tocchet- seems to have synergy top to bottom with players 

kuzy

milky

Hronek 

miller over Bo for less money 

Willander 

Cole 

soucy 

bluegher 

bear trade 

suter 

Colliton 

pearson trade to get cap space 

desmith as legit back up 

trading stillman for bloom

Not smart:

boesser contract 

Dickinson trade losing a 2nd …

hard to find more 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

I think it made sense to move on from Pearson. That extension was trash from the minute it was signed. 

Yup, that was the point in time I knew Benning's goose was cooked. So dumb signing surplus wingers when we were cash strapped, and in a pandemic. Especially when we could have gotten a decent pick at the deadline. It's like Garland when people say he's good money for his contract. Who cares, that's not a good reason to sign a player. They have to be a fit and have a position to play in a cap world.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

On a random note, isn't it amazing what one season does to a player? I swear only a couple of years ago there were literally posts saying how Martin should be a starter in the NHL. lol

Haha, yes. Maybe people will learn not to anoint these guys NHLers after 6 decent but meaningless games to end a season. Now Silovs is different of course. He'll win a Vezina within 5 years. 🤣

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, yes. Maybe people will learn not to anoint these guys NHLers after 6 decent but meaningless games to end a season. Now Silovs is different of course. He'll win a Vezina within 5 years. 🤣

Well, that honestly could go both ways. If anything, I find it fascinating sometimes the career highs and lows of some players. For all we know, Martin's a starter for some team in 2 years from now. lol

• Cheers 1