[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, that honestly could go both ways. If anything, I find it fascinating sometimes the career highs and lows of some players. For all we know, Martin's a starter for some team in 2 years from now. lol

Maybe I would never say never ... but I haven't seen a worse performance from a goalie in probably 20 years now. He's also 28 or something already isn't he?

12 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Smart decisions :

hughes captaincy

tocchet- seems to have synergy top to bottom with players 

kuzy

milky

Hronek 

miller over Bo for less money 

Willander 

Cole 

soucy 

bluegher 

bear trade 

suter 

Colliton 

pearson trade to get cap space 

desmith as legit back up 

trading stillman for bloom

Not smart:

boesser contract 

Dickinson trade losing a 2nd …

hard to find more 

This

Not sure how some people aren't fans of this management team

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Smart decisions :

hughes captaincy

tocchet- seems to have synergy top to bottom with players 

kuzy

milky

Hronek 

miller over Bo for less money 

Willander 

Cole 

soucy 

bluegher 

bear trade 

suter 

Colliton 

pearson trade to get cap space 

desmith as legit back up 

trading stillman for bloom

Not smart:

boesser contract 

Dickinson trade losing a 2nd …

hard to find more 

Tocchet sure as hell wasn't a smart decision.  Neither was crippling the franchise for almost a decade with dead cap.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Garland, Hughes, Miller, Boeser all saying how much they like toch

orl buyout allowed us to get better 

oel was JBs mistake 

A decade of dead cap isn't something that a competent management group would even consider.  Still have absolutely zero respect for Tocchet as a person and there were multiple options without his character issues. A good trade doesn't erase the damage that Rutherford and Allvin have done on and off the ice.

• Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe I would never say never ... but I haven't seen a worse performance from a goalie in probably 20 years now. He's also 28 or something already isn't he?

I mean... Tim Thomas didn't even play an NHL game until after he was 30, so crazier things have happened. *shrug

(Edit: Okay, he played 4 games at like... 28 or 29.... but still)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A decade of dead cap isn't something that a competent management group would even consider.  Still have absolutely zero respect for Tocchet as a person and there were multiple options without his character issues. A good trade doesn't erase the damage that Rutherford and Allvin have done on and off the ice.

Complaining Reservoir Dogs GIF

• Haha 2

DeSmith struggled last year but still put up almost a full goal per game and .035 better save percentage than Martin.  I know Martin had some flashes the previous season and looked good back in the AHL.  However, that’s a huge bet to make on a guy who’s going to need to play 25-30 games for us or we risk Demko breaking down again.

Assuming De Smith even moderately bounces back (his career numbers are rock solid and he’s only 32) this is a move that makes a ton of sense.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

DeSmith struggled last year but still put up almost a full goal per game and .035 better save percentage than Martin.  I know Martin had some flashes the previous season and looked good back in the AHL.  However, that’s a huge bet to make on a guy who’s going to need to play 25-30 games for us or we risk Demko breaking down again.

Assuming De Smith even moderately bounces back (his career numbers are rock solid and he’s only 32) this is a move that makes a ton of sense.  

Even if DeSmith doesn’t bounce back, there is nothing saying we can’t bring Silovs up for a home game or 5 over the year to give DD a rest. Plus it’ll be a nice little reward for Silovs and a litmus test to see where he is at throughout the year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Tocchet sure as hell wasn't a smart decision.  Neither was crippling the franchise for almost a decade with dead cap.

Time will tell with Tocchet, (I like him) but it’s fair to criticize management’s overall strategy of basically, “what Benning and Weisbrod were doing, just with better pro scouting.” The OEL buyout is something a contender might consider but eating that much dead cap for so long is something else.

Along with this short term pushing they were employing Boudreau and quite obviously having little time for him.  If you’re clearly pushing you’d think they’d have just let him go that offseason if they were so unimpressed.

OTOH Full credit for some finesse moves this offseason with the cap space carved out and some savvy targets in Hronek, (and Raty!), Cole, Soucy, Suter, Bleuger and some nice free signings with Hirose, McWard, Sasson and Johannson.  Toss in some decent drafts (at least on paper) so far plus the AHL team and Colliton looking great.  They’re acing the long term picture with the limited resources they’re putting in.  But the overall actual impact is limited because they’re clearly still all in on the playoffs.  

Just a wild ride but at least they’re making what appear to be better moves.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bones said:

Even if DeSmith doesn’t bounce back, there is nothing saying we can’t bring Silovs up for a home game or 5 over the year to give DD a rest. Plus it’ll be a nice little reward for Silovs and a litmus test to see where he is at throughout the year. 

Absolutely - that would be fun - but imo Silovs needs to play a ton of games this year.  Important season for him to take on a starter’s workload.

Our backup needs to play as an NHL average backup - just can’t be getting ventilated for 7 every other night and we’ll probably be okay.  Martin may well have pulled that off but I’m more confident with DeSmith.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm gonna miss Delia. Only because I liked saying Collin Delia from Rancho Cucamonga. Pronounced Kooka......munga bugs bunny style.

When I first heard someone say that name after I moved to SoCal, I thought they were messing with me :classic_laugh:

7 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Absolutely - that would be fun - but imo Silovs needs to play a ton of games this year.  Important season for him to take on a starter’s workload.

Our backup needs to play as an NHL average backup - just can’t be getting ventilated for 7 every other night and we’ll probably be okay.  Martin may well have pulled that off but I’m more confident with DeSmith.

Fully agree. For Silovs, he should be the starter in Abby, and play a majority of the games there. I just think that the odd call up to play and then be sent back could work wonders for him. 

DeSmith > Martin any day of the week. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Edge Case said:

If Rutherford somehow moves to Montreal’s front office Pearson will just drive himself to the airport!

Maybe Pearson wanted to go to Mtl, thinking he might be safe there...

assuming Rutherford's French doesn't go far beyond the curse words he learned on the ice :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Couldn't agree more. We needed to make a move like this if management was serious about doing something this year. Walking into this year with Denko's struggles the last couple of years staying healthy combined with Martin's horrific performance was a disaster in waiting.

• Cheers 1