[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

3 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

We wouldn't have been cap compliant because Pearson was off LTIR. We would have been 2mil or so over. Which would have meant moving players down to abby and potentally Hoglander which we clearly didn't want to lose.

we would be cap complaint after roster cut and sending people down. right now after the trade we are sitting on 85.4mil aprox 2mil over the cap with poolman to be put on ltir that'll make us compliant.. before the trade we would be sitting at aprox 3.4mil over the cap send down poolman we still need to find 900k.. but that's with a roster of 22 + mikheyev so 23.. we can easily send a player or pearson down to the minors and that would cover the 900k to make us cap compliant.. we have a bunch of players we can send down.. pdg.. dries.. studnicka rathbone even pearson.. all of those can be sent before hoglander so there's no worries about cap compliant or hoglander.

9 hours ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

wait they solved our cap issues

and got a legit backup goalie?

in one trade?!

Perfecto hey?

Also I was wondering if you mind is I ask what nationality you are. I used to know an eeeeeegh back in the day but they had a couple less e's in their name. Maybe you are related some how? 🤓

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I also think that Pearson just wasn't interested in playing for the Canucks anymore. And there is a really good chance that he will be struggling in the coming season. 

Why do you say he didn’t want to play here? He refused a media interview about the trade because he was upset. 

• Cheers 1

he seems like a decent goalie and is likely worth a pick especially at that cap hit... too put it into perspective, Goalies that played 10 or more games... he was the 32 ranked Goalie in SV% @.905 and 37th in wins winning 15/31... but is ranked 48th in cap hit... and .905 is his lowest sv% ever and will likely climb a little or hopefully at least stay the same. i think this is a fine trade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

this trade was unnecessary.. i'd be fine with silov martin or whoever else ends up on waiver for backup. you guys are so quick to toss every backup goalie we had into the dumpster.. so demko struggled coz the defence sucked.. but martin is trash coz the defence sucks.. then the year before it was halak sucks even though he was over .910 sv% in 80% of the games he started but got 0 goal support.. cap wise sending Pearson thru the waivers either he gets picked up or or we bury 1.25mil in the ahl which would accomplish the same cap saving minus desmith. i honestly don't see paying an aging declining goalie that struggled all season after core muscle surgery the previous season is an upgrade in the backup position.. more wasted cap space imo.. for a goalie core muscle is too important.. i don't expect him to ever regain his form prior to the injury.

DeSmith's stats after the All-Star break last year were not too far off his normal #'s.

The one month he really struggled this past season was when DeSmith started 9 games in January, which was a much higher workload than normal for him.Screenshot_20230920_104654_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b299a09768bbdc936fc091bc8ef13172.jpgScreenshot_20230920_104511_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0c7e89b7963cdedb385f54ebddcb211a.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I can't decide if it is good or bad that he basically is a rental.

It's good. We need to asses his play and we can re-sign him if need be. Silovs may be ready for the role so we would have a problem if he was signed longer.

this trade was unnecessary.. i'd be fine with silov martin or whoever else ends up on waiver for backup. you guys are so quick to toss every backup goalie we had into the dumpster.. so demko struggled coz the defence sucked.. but martin is trash coz the defence sucks.. then the year before it was halak sucks even though he was over .910 sv% in 80% of the games he started but got 0 goal support.. cap wise sending Pearson thru the waivers either he gets picked up or or we bury 1.25mil in the ahl which would accomplish the same cap saving minus desmith. i honestly don't see paying an aging declining goalie that struggled all season after core muscle surgery the previous season is an upgrade in the backup position.. more wasted cap space imo.. for a goalie core muscle is too important.. i don't expect him to ever regain his form prior to the injury.

Martin is trash because I watched him and he was completely awful regardless of the D sucking. Who cares about all the numbers all you need to do is watch him play. Demko struggled because he was injured. Martin was healthy and in his prime.

Good move to address a huge area of weakness. Thank goodness. Season was almost shot before it started.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Truefan99 said:

Beloved veteran like tiny garly or pissed off Pearson. Oh what a shame that would be

Feels Justin Timberlake GIF

Beloved by the team. Think about Hughes’ reaction to Pearsons injuries.

It would be a shame if a cap move created more drama, prolonging the shit show from last season.

We want a strong start…no more distractions 

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

NHL doesn’t run 2 scoring lines a shutdown line and a goon line anymore. 
The good teams run 3 scoring lines and the 4th line is what we used to think of as the third. A shutdown line where your PKers live. 
Suter as a centre of a third scoring line is a pretty good option.  Decent scoring and very good analytics. 
The NHL backup was a very necessary thing because of Demko’s injury history.  It also clarifies AHL will be Silov’s team and ECHL will be Topo’s. 
PA has sort of addressed every hole in the club but like any team, especially one that consistently focuses on building through UFAs, we have our warts. 
Our forward depth is good but is tiny and lacks high end wingers for the incredible number we have, our D looks much bigger and deeper but is asking players to play higher up in the lineup than they previously have.  I really don’t know how Hronek will fit or which Hronek will show up. The minute munching 2nd pair guy we were sold or the defensive liability that is a poor passer that Detroit fans describe.  There is always the question of Demko’s health. 
If everything works, Podz grows into a top 6 PF, Mik comes back and hasn’t lost a step, Hronek comes in and is solid and Soucy can play higher than 3rd pairing for first time in his career, and some of the plethora of struggling little wingers recover their games, it still feels like we are a top 4 RD short of a really good team.  
Given his restraints PA has done an admirable job of filling the holes on the club.  I have some quibbles about how it was done and some significant waisted opportunities but that is easy from my chair. 

yeah but you can have 2 offensive and 2 defensive lines too... lots of ways to skin a cat... likely some of the lines are multi purpose 1A may be the shutdown line but also will get its offensive chances... and 1B may be the real scoring line like petterson last year, he got the easy matchups, but probably didnt need them.. we likely have a 1A 1B, 3 (bordering on 3.5), 4  setup... interesting to see what the lines will be...

I think beauvillier should stay with EP40 and Kuz, maximize his trade potential...

Beau, EP40 , Kuz

Mikheyev, Miller, Boeser/garland

Podz, Suter, Hogs/boeser/garland

Joshua, Blueger, Pogs/Hogs

Giuseppe

Hughes,Hronek (I know eggs in one basket but i would like to see it tested)

Soucy, Cole (shutdown pairing)

Myers/whoever wins the 6th

• Cheers 1

Cap wise I think if Mikheyev is still sore we shouldn't rush him. We'll need him for the playoffs and our timeline should be what works for his knee (btw I strained a ligament in my wrist a month ago, hurts like hell)

If he needs a bit more time let him take it. I wanted to keep Myer's for the playoffs but if we can use him (I think he's a tradeable asset as a bottom pairing dman). And we could add other cap savings as well, adding a power forward would help. DeSmith? adding a veteran back up goalie was inevitable. Martin fell hard under all that pressure last year. Martin might be done like dinner from that.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Really take the time to watch the highlights of the games he played for us. The majority of the goals he lets in are headscratchers. I made the mistake of watching those highlights. I call it a mistake because of the rage this 0 IQ goalie brought me. He's terrible. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Perfecto hey?

Also I was wondering if you mind is I ask what nationality you are. I used to know an eeeeeegh back in the day but they had a couple less e's in their name. Maybe you are related some how? 🤓

a reasonable question! that guy is a distant cousin. Last time i saw him was the family reunion around the loui eriksson shrine 🙂 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cameron88188 said:

Great trade!

Are we bringing in a guy on a PTO? Doesn’t every NHL team have offer at least one PTO every training camp? 

Doesn’t look like it. I think we’ve done that in the past to fill out split squad games, which aren’t happening this year.

It may also be an intentional message to our depth players, and recent college FA signings that the opportunity is theirs for the taking

• Cheers 3

18 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

DeSmith is coming off a down year. He was decently consistent before that. This is a solid move for us and him. Certainly allows Silovs to continue to develop ... although I think he's more ready than people think. 

.905 save % and 3.17 ga in a down year… I’ll take it

Martin was .871 and 3.99 ga last year!!

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

Absolutely - that would be fun - but imo Silovs needs to play a ton of games this year.  Important season for him to take on a starter’s workload.

Our backup needs to play as an NHL average backup - just can’t be getting ventilated for 7 every other night and we’ll probably be okay.  Martin may well have pulled that off but I’m more confident with DeSmith.

I think Silovs will play a lot is Abby, but if a back up is needed for a home game it is such an easy call up, especially if Abby isn't playing that night.   I imagine we will see that 2-4 times this year. 

Some of the HFboards fans think this trade is a lot closer to Pearson and a 3rd for DeSmith and Suter, which is a interesting way of thinking for it... many angry over the pick, but some justified that at least we didnt pay to get rid of myers, which would have cost alot more... not used to hfboards fans speaking any sense

• Cheers 1