[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

Just now, TNucks1 said:

hopefully the nucks and montreal do well and make the playoffs this year 🫰

I know! I wouldn't know what to do with myself nor what to wear if they played against each other in the Playoffs! 😲

BUT, BUT ~ I would be over the moon if both teams made the Playoffs! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brilac said:

I know! I wouldn't know what to do with myself nor what to wear if they played against each other in the Playoffs! 😲

If Shannon can survive Boston vs. Vancouver in the cup Finals, I'm sure you'll be fine.

(AKA The Hockey Guy on Youtube)

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, brilac said:

LOL! Shannon? I was just like, who is Shannon? 

Then I looked at the rest of your message! 

Imagine if you time travelled to 1917.

Seattle Metropolitans beat the Montreal Canadiens. 3 games to 1 in the Stanley Cup.

No masks on goalies, basic padding. Goalies couldn't even drop to cover the puck

And basically 10 players per team. How's that for wild?

Seattle-Metropolitans-1917.jpg

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Imagine if you time travelled to 1917.

Seattle Metropolitans beat the Montreal Canadiens. 3 games to 1 in the Stanley Cup.

No masks on goalies, basic padding. Goalies couldn't even drop to cover the puck

And basically 10 players per team. How's that for wild?

I would like that! 

20 minutes ago, brilac said:

I'm with you. Habs are my second favourite team, although I would 100% wear Nucks in the SCF and want them to win 100% over the Habs 😁 

New Jersey is my third fave, fwiw. Love what they've done with their team, and I love all the Hughes brothers.

• Like 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

I'm with you. Habs are my second favourite team, although I would 100% wear Nucks in the SCF and want them to win 100% over the Habs 😁 

New Jersey is my third fave, fwiw. Love what they've done with their team, and I love all the Hughes brothers.

Oh you are a Habs fan!

The Habs are my second favorite team too! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brilac said:

Oh you are a Habs fan!

The Habs are my second favorite team too! 

Yup. Lived in Montreal for a couple of years and always loved the history behind the team and the city. Amazing place. I was supposed to go to see the Nucks play the Habs when I lived there, but then the strike came 😞 But, I bought tickets to see them this year in November. I'm beyond excited 🙂 (Go Canucks Go, ha!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Yup. Lived in Montreal for a couple of years and always loved the history behind the team and the city. Amazing place. I was supposed to go to see the Nucks play the Habs when I lived there, but then the strike came 😞 But, I bought tickets to see them this year in November. I'm beyond excited 🙂 (Go Canucks Go, ha!)

I am excited for you!! 

I need to renew my passport. I forgot and just realized today that it expires soon. 

I have not been there since 2017, but hopefully again! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I was planning on going to that game, but Diwali is on that day so I can't :classic_sad:. Might go to the Sens game though

8 hours ago, brilac said:

Come on now, friend....you know the answer deep in your heart. Put that West Coast orca on and join us.

• Like 3

I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't already been covered but I'm too lazy to read 27 pages.

I think this trade is pretty good. The roster is now compliant without needing to waive anyone significant, sheds about $1.5m in cap (even more when you factor in the salary of Martin/Silovs who would be needed up otherwise), and gets a good back-up on a reasonable wage who is UFA next year so not blocking Silovs' progression. Obviously be nice not to give up a 3rd rounder, but given Tanner is slightly overpaid (especially given the uncertainty around his future) it's probably fair. Hopefully it'll be a very late 3rd rounder by 2025 anyway.

I'm an idiot though, so it's entirely possible Tanner will light up DeSmith on his way to a 100 point season.

I liked Pearson but I never did love the contract so giving up a 3rd and getting back a decent backup goaltender feels like a trade with good value. I like this one much better than the Dickinson trade as I think DeSmith actually has a good chance to recoup some of the value that was given up. Who knows, if Silovs has a special season we might even be able to move DeSmith at the deadline and get back a pick from a team looking to shore up their depth between the pipes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 2:37 PM, Honkin Hronek said:

Desmith almost looks like a starter, not a back-up, seems to me, this has rejuvenated his career and I'm happy it's with us. 

Has he played enough to show consistently? No, have the canucks showed enough consistently? No again BUT only time will tell but imo it was a good trade, we didn't need to have a glut of wingers so easily a no brainer but Smitty is looking pretty good so far!

• Cheers 1

On 9/21/2023 at 10:42 PM, Jester13 said:

I really wished I could split up my support like that. Although I've been to Montreal and had a lot fun. Are the bars still like 4 or 5 am closures? Lol

Canucks for life.