[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

Good for Pearson. The numbers will surely dip. However if he could have produced half of like what he’s doing to start the year he’d probably still be here. Sadly his time here he got 2nd line minutes and produced like an average 3rd liner. I’m happy with DeSmith to where I don’t look at this deal as moving a 3rd to have somebody take Pearson but more of a cost for a decent backup and Pearson was the salary matcher.

On 10/24/2023 at 12:47 PM, Rekker said:

Tanner doing real well in Montreal so far. Nice to see, always liked his game and we are better with him on the lineup over Garland or Beau. Too bad we couldn't ditch those contacts instead. 

Yeah I thought he was one guy that provided some sand paper and would have been far superior to those two. Really liking DeSmith though so all good. Ultimately it's only fair to Demko and the team to have a capable backup.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, Rekker said:

Tanner doing real well in Montreal so far. Nice to see, always liked his game and we are better with him on the lineup over Garland or Beau. Too bad we couldn't ditch those contacts instead. 

Getting opportunities he wouldn’t get here so you need to look at it in context.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I thought he was one guy that provided some sand paper and would have been far superior to those two. Really liking DeSmith though so all good. Ultimately it's only fair to Demko and the team to have a capable backup.

Feel like DeSmith’s trade value at the time would have been about zero, maybe even slight negative value due to his cap hit.  It’s looking like a good job by our management in going for him. 

I get management wanting to keep their guy beau, and Rutherford not loving Pearson, but after the small sample size to date, it sure looks like we traded the wrong guy. If a little retention on Beau’s salary to match Pearson was an option i think we’d be a better team on paper.

Maybe it was just time to move on. Maybe they just weren’t willing to take the risk that Pearson wasn’t damaged goods, or maybe Beau just wasn’t wanted. 

Regardless, it’s worked out a win-win and i’m happy to see Tanner doing well.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Getting opportunities he wouldn’t get here so you need to look at it in context.

Do you think he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to play with Boeser and Miller? PDG is doing well and looks like found money right now, but a healthy Pearson surely takes his spot.

5 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Feel like DeSmith’s trade value at the time would have been about zero, maybe even slight negative value due to his cap hit.  It’s looking like a good job by our management in going for him. 

I get management wanting to keep their guy beau, and Rutherford not loving Pearson, but after the small sample size to date, it sure looks like we traded the wrong guy. If a little retention on Beau’s salary to match Pearson was an option i think we’d be a better team on paper.

Maybe it was just time to move on. Maybe they just weren’t willing to take the risk that Pearson wasn’t damaged goods, or maybe Beau just wasn’t wanted. 

I think they just planned the team on not having him around. They also probably didn't want to deal with the optics and media probing. I think Montreal has a little less riding on the season as well. Hopefully Pearson is injury free moving forward but Montreal are probably better equipped to deal with it if necessary, So that might have been a big factor.

Whatever it was I'm pretty dang happy with the result. I felt strongly that we needed an upgrade on Martin and the results so far seem to be very positive. I think it really helps when you go to your back up and you have a guy that wants to win and can win any game he plays. Way easier to get on a role when you got a goalie with something to prove every night. It keeps your starter motivated when he's chomping at the bit to prove he deserves to keep starting over this other guy that keeps winning. It also challenges the defence to recognize their obligation to help the goalie protect the net.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think they just planned the team on not having him around. They also probably didn't want to deal with the optics and media probing. I think Montreal has a little less riding on the season as well. Hopefully Pearson is injury free moving forward but Montreal are probably better equipped to deal with it if necessary, So that might have been a big factor.

Whatever it was I'm pretty dang happy with the result. I felt strongly that we needed an upgrade on Martin and the results so far seem to be very positive. I think it really helps when you go to your back up and you have a guy that wants to win and can win any game he plays. Way easier to get on a role when you got a goalie with something to prove every night. It keeps your starter motivated when he's chomping at the bit to prove he deserves to keep starting over this other guy that keeps winning. It also challenges the defence to recognize their obligation to help the goalie protect the net.

For sure. Getting a quality backup was key.  Really happy with DeSmith so far. 

Clearly a healthy Pearson wasn’t in the plans, and moving on from Beau so soon (especially if there was retention) would be bad look, but no question for me who’d help the team more right now. 

I can’t complain about the trade. It was a pragmatic move and has worked out for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

What about Shane Wright?

Wright has barely played in the NHL.  But I can see him as a 3rd line centre.  Probably won't ever be a #1 centre.   His ceiling could be Horvat, which isn't too bad.  55-point centre who can play up the to the 2nd line.  Don't think Slafkovsky can ever be a bottom six winger.  He's either a top 6 power forward or a bust...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wright has barely played in the NHL.  But I can see him as a 3rd line centre.  Probably won't ever be a #1 centre.   His ceiling could be Horvat, which isn't too bad.  55-point centre who can play up the to the 2nd line.  Don't think Slafkovsky can ever be a bottom six winger.  He's either a top 6 power forward or a bust...

How close is he to being an every day NHL player? 

9 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

I don't think either of Pearson or Beau are "their guy". Beau was largely the cap coming back to make the Horvat trade work (and isn't entirely useless). Don't confuse that for him being a desired "guy". He's either moved at the TDL, or walks in the summer. Both him and Pearson will be off the team soon enough.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Do you think he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to play with Boeser and Miller? PDG is doing well and looks like found money right now, but a healthy Pearson surely takes his spot.

This is PDG’s 1st real season to FEEL  like he actually has a foot hold in the NHL ,

I see his stick coming alive now with that sense of opportunity.

Moving Pearson facilitates this process for PDG, which again raise his confidence .

The move/ trade is an exceptional one in many aspects,.  It also ( finally) shows promise for others on the farm of a system where they see opportunity within.

10 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

For sure. Getting a quality backup was key.  Really happy with DeSmith so far. 

Clearly a healthy Pearson wasn’t in the plans, and moving on from Beau so soon (especially if there was retention) would be bad look, but no question for me who’d help the team more right now. 

I can’t complain about the trade. It was a pragmatic move and has worked out for everyone.

Yup, tbh honest I think Beau is negative value. Like @aGENT said he was a cap dump to make the trade work.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But perhaps an argument could be made on Beau’s performance vs Bo’s performance SINCE the trade ( last season included).

If I were Chicago I would take a flyer on Beau. He's shown he can keep up with high end talent, the gamble is only this seasons contract, he can be had for scraps, he may click with Bedard. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

But perhaps an argument could be made on Beau’s performance vs Bo’s performance SINCE the trade ( last season included).

Possibly but to be honest I don't think that matters in the least. Two different players playing two entirely different positions on two different teams that really have nothing in common except an old trade. Beauvillier is a tiny winger making $4 mil a season, with zeros across the board in 6 games. Teams are set right now and no one has $4 mil to just throw away on him. No one else cares about Beau vs Bo.

Bo has 5 points in 6 games, not that it matters.

Edited by Gawdzukes

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Possibly but to be honest I don't think that matters in the least. Two different players playing two entirely different positions on two different teams that really have nothing in common except an old trade. Beauvillier is a tiny winger making $4 mil a season, with zeros across the board in 6 games. Teams are set right now and no one has $4 mil to just throw away on him. No one else cares about Beau vs Bo.

Bo has 5 points in 6 games, not that it matters.

I'd also argue that not everything is about points. We're currently with a winning record and Beau has among the most takeaways on the team, a reasonable shots on goal while having among the least amount of ice time, and most of his starts are on the fly.

So it's not like he's not doing anything, he just doesn't have the points to show for it. As long as we're getting the points, some players are allowed to contribute in other ways in my opinion and I don't see him being negative value as a result. Maybe if you consider his contract?... but even then, it's only 6 games really.

Edited by The Lock