[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'd also argue that not everything is about points. We're currently with a winning record and Beau has among the most takeaways on the team, a reasonable shots on goal while having among the least amount of ice time, and most of his starts are on the fly.

So it's not like he's not doing anything, he just doesn't have the points to show for it. As long as we're getting the points, some players are allowed to contribute in other ways in my opinion and I don't see him being negative value as a result. Maybe if you consider his contract?... but even then, it's only 6 games really.

Yeah I'm not saying he's negative value for us but amongst the league in a trade. I certainly wouldn't be interested in giving up any assets if the situation was reversed and I don't think many other teams would either.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Slaflopsky?

Imagine drafting 1st overall the year before Bedards draft and then passing on an elite talent in Michkov.

That rebuild in Montreal is gonna be tough.

it will be as long as Kent is allowed to make the picks. He clearly overrides Montreals scouting team with the Slapbustky debacle. But hey, he's big. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it will be as long as Kent is allowed to make the picks. He clearly overrides Montreals scouting team with the Slapbustky debacle. But hey, he's big. 

You mean the GM that drafted Lane Hutson (who looks to be a future star) and Joshua Roy (a 5th round pick in 2021) who is currently leading the AHL in scoring?   He seems to have a pretty good grasp of talent. 

6 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

You mean the GM that drafted Lane Hutson (who looks to be a future star) and Joshua Roy (a 5th round pick in 2021) who is currently leading the AHL in scoring?   He seems to have a pretty good grasp of talent. 

so no one succeeding in the NHL yet? 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so no one succeeding in the NHL yet? 

Is argue that Slafkovsky is succeeding.  He looks like one Montreals most dangerous forwards on the ice most nights.  He's still learning the NHL game but doesn't look at all out of place as a 19 year old.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Is argue that Slafkovsky is succeeding.  He looks like one Montreals most dangerous forwards on the ice most nights.  He's still learning the NHL game but doesn't look at all out of place as a 19 year old.  

yeah I'm just riding a Habs fan. Who knows where he'll end up. It was a risky pick. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yeah I'm just riding a Habs fan. Who knows where he'll end up. It was a risky pick. 

Pronman just re-ranked the 2022 draft. He still has Slafkovsky as 1. There was no clear cut favourite like Bedard so it wasn't so much a risky pick as it was projecting who might be the best 5 years down  the line. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Pronman just re-ranked the 2022 draft. He still has Slafkovsky as 1. There was no clear cut favourite like Bedard so it wasn't so much a risky pick as it was projecting who might be the best 5 years down  the line. 

True but he was never a big offensive producer. How that part of his game develops will be interesting.

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm not saying he's negative value for us but amongst the league in a trade. I certainly wouldn't be interested in giving up any assets if the situation was reversed and I don't think many other teams would either.

He’s an above replacement level nhl player, but isn’t worth more than a million and change. He’s got enough skill to put up points when he’s put in the situation. A team missing viable options in their top 6 could make use of him similar to how we’ve used Vey, Granlund and others in the past, but it’s a sign of a thin roster that’s competing for the lottery rather than the cup.

A non competitive team probably considers their cap space better used to trade for draft picks. Maybe someone would take him for free with a plan of giving him top 6 time and flipping him at the tdl for something.  However, until we have a need for the cap space we’re better with him i suppose.

I like him to a point, and there is nothing wrong with his contribution this year on the 4th line. I don’t think replacing him with a prospect from abby makes sense for the team’s success with hoglander already taking a spot. The bottom 6 needs to play responsible hockey at minimum and Beau can do that, but at 4 million?  

4 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

He’s an above replacement level nhl player, but isn’t worth more than a million and change. He’s got enough skill to put up points when he’s put in the situation. A team missing viable options in their top 6 could make use of him similar to how we’ve used Vey, Granlund and others in the past, but it’s a sign of a thin roster that’s competing for the lottery rather than the cup.

A non competitive team probably considers their cap space better used to trade for draft picks. Maybe someone would take him for free with a plan of giving him top 6 time and flipping him at the tdl for something.  However, until we have a need for the cap space we’re better with him i suppose.

I like him to a point, and there is nothing wrong with his contribution this year on the 4th line. I don’t think replacing him with a prospect from abby makes sense for the team’s success with hoglander already taking a spot. The bottom 6 needs to play responsible hockey at minimum and Beau can do that, but at 4 million?  

Yeah I think that's a fair assessment of him and the league position. I wonder though if they could have moved him they would have already. They definitely need the cap space as they're currently trying very hard to free up cap space for Bear, and you have to think they are looking at other options as well.

I also don't mind him on the 4th line. He's made some decent plays there keeping possession and making a couple solid defensive plays as well. Always nice to be able to have a guy with that type of skill just hanging on the fourth line. In the cap world it screams inefficiency though.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, qwijjibo said:

He's 19. I swear some people are way to anxious to apply the bust label. 

I mean… you gotta admit he’s had a reeeeealllll ruff start for a first overall. 

That being said, that draft was a little ruff as well. 

4 hours ago, Dizzle said:

I mean… you gotta admit he’s had a reeeeealllll ruff start for a first overall. 

That being said, that draft was a little ruff as well. 

He's looked much better this season. He's engaged, making good decisions. Winning puck battles.  The only real glaring issue is that he needs to shoot more. A lot more. He's only getting 1 shot a game.  If he can get his shot count up the points will come 

Great trade.

DeSmith has gotten us 5/6 points in the games he's played.

A backup goalie can make or break your season. 

Clearly we have a good one thanks to this great trade by PA and his team. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Great trade.

DeSmith has gotten u

s 5/6 points in the games he's played.

A backup goalie can make or break your season. 

Clearly we have a good one thanks to this great trade by PA and his team. 

One of those rare hockey trades that has really worked out well for both teams 

On 10/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, qwijjibo said:

For me its a top 3 of Cooley, Nemec or Jiricek in no particular order. If we had the top pick in that draft happening now, I would want one of those 3. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

For me its a top 3 of Cooley, Nemec or Jiricek in no particular order. If we had the top pick in that draft happening now, I would want one of those 3. 

Yup. Slafkoski was a definite miss by the Habs. Their newer management came from the Rangers. They missed on their top picks there just like they’re missing their picks with the Habs. But they can make really good trades to get guys, as evidenced by Dach. 

• Vintage 1