[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Slafkoski was a definite miss by the Habs. Their newer management came from the Rangers. They missed on their top picks there just like they’re missing their picks with the Habs. But they can make really good trades to get guys, as evidenced by Dach. 

and they still have their fun sized winger. 

• Haha 3

On 10/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, Dizzle said:

I mean… you gotta admit he’s had a reeeeealllll ruff start for a first overall. 

That being said, that draft was a little ruff as well. 

Lafreniere is another name that comes to mind when speaking of 1OA’s having rough start

29 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

We'll see how it looks in 5 years 

For sure, re-drafts are always vastly different from year to year. It's crazy how you can do a re-draft 10 years later and another 15 years later and it will be different based on longevity vs peak. 

• 1 month later...

Many were disappointed to see Pearson go,

I was more disappointed to lose Toffoli .

Desmith has been a Very Valuable acquisition..

I hope to see him resigned for 2 years-3 years / tradeable .

I think Silvos or Koskenvuo moving up within that time to Squeeze the tandem we have dressed in the Bigs right now.

• Like 1

I'd say we re-sign DeSmith year by year to 1 year deals, so management can assess and see when/ if Silovs can come up.
Joshua on our current 3rd line is quite the godsend as he, Blueger and Garland have been the needed combination of size, speed and defensive ability to be a strong transitional 3rd line for (dare I say it) a contender.  Of course, improving on his expected 36 point pace with an upgrade would be optimal, but so far so good and we're hardly missing Pearson.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd say we re-sign DeSmith year by year to 1 year deals, so management can assess and see when/ if Silovs can come up.
Joshua on our current 3rd line is quite the godsend as he, Blueger and Garland have been the needed combination of size, speed and defensive ability to be a strong transitional 3rd line for (dare I say it) a contender.  Of course, improving on his expected 36 point pace with an upgrade would be optimal, but so far so good and we're hardly missing Pearson.

Desmith, Joshua and Blueger are all going to be sought after inthe UFA market after having the season they are. With the cap going up so will demand and therefor salaries. Fat chance getting Desmith to sign a 1 year deal. He is 32 years old and going to want 2-3 at minimum, who could blame him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

Desmith, Joshua and Blueger are all going to be sought after inthe UFA market after having the season they are. With the cap going up so will demand and therefor salaries. Fat chance getting Desmith to sign a 1 year deal. He is 32 years old and going to want 2-3 at minimum, who could blame him.

That’s the cost of winning. The supporting cast guys move on to other clubs for more money. Then we bring in new supporting cast guys, keeping our core intact, and continue winning. 
This management group has proven they know how to find supporting cast guys who fit well with our core. They will continue to change those parts. And we will keep on winning. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s the cost of winning. The supporting cast guys move on to other clubs for more money. Then we bring in new supporting cast guys, keeping our core intact, and continue winning. 
This management group has proven they know how to find supporting cast guys who fit well with our core. They will continue to change those parts. And we will keep on winning. 

Agreed, we can find other complementary players for cheap and on short terms.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

To play with who? Petey? 

3rd line should not be touched which means... replace Kuz? 

Im sure Mtl would be all over a Kuz for Pearson trade lol

We better not make that trade

yes, petey. someone to consistently win puck battles and play simple. 

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

We have to lock up DeSmith for at least 2 years in my opinion.  He's been excellent.  If Silovs really does shine before his time, DeSmith can be traded.....but at this point, why would we do that?

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

We have to lock up DeSmith for at least 2 years in my opinion.  He's been excellent.  If Silovs really does shine before his time, DeSmith can be traded.....but at this point, why would we do that?

I'd good with that if management doesn't sign him to too much money or term (presuming they don't give him a clause).  If Silovs is kicking down the door but Casey didn't want to leave, I'd hate to have the sticking point be too much money or term left and have that prevent Arturs from coming up.  Personally, I think at most $2 million per, for 2 years, otherwise the rest of the roster might not get filled out (we let him walk if that's the case).  

• Cheers 1

If he keeps it up I think some team desperate for goal tending will offer him something stupid in the range of 3-4 million. Personally I’d go as high as 2.5-3 for 2 years. Would pretty much mean our goaltending duo is around 7.5-8 million which is the same amount some teams are paying their starting goaltender. Need to take advantage of Demkos reasonable cap hit while we can.

14 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Desmith was 4th on Momtreals depth chart. It was a solid hockey trade for both teams.  

Yea I wouldn’t call it a steal it was just a good hockey trade.

We managed to dump cap while addressing an area of need for only a 3rd in 2025.

PA capitalizing on opportunities like he’s done all season. I’m sure at least a few teams are kicking themselves for not acquiring DeSmith though. 

• Upvote 2